Named after the Dakota Native American tribe, South Dakota is an expansive state. This midwestern U.S. state is home to massive rock formations and vast grasslands. A heaven for all nature lovers, South Dakota has two national parks.
Head to this state for outdoor activities, nature, art, and its inimitable culture. Go for an ATV ride on the Black Hills or hike the Badlands. If history interests you, then local museums on archaeological sites are a must-visit. Plan a quiet and relaxed evening at one of the state’s drive-in movie theaters. This underrated travel destination has a lot more to offer.
Plan a week-long trip or more to explore the hidden gems of the state. While you plan your trip, do not forget to get a travel insurance plan. Buy a
visitors medical insurance or a
to help cover cancellation costs and medical bills should the worst occur.
South Dakota’s Most Popular Places for Travel
- Badlands National Park - Head to the Badlands National Park to witness some beautiful rock formations. It is interesting to see the naturally-formed unique shapes. Visit the visitor center to view some recovered fossils. Badlands National Park will interest any nature and history lover.
- Mount Rushmore Memorial Center - The Mount Rushmore Memorial Center is in the Black Hills. It features large sculptures of Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, and Thomas Jefferson. Visit Mount Rushmore to celebrate the spirit of freedom and democracy.
- Custer State Park - One of the state’s largest national parks, the Custer State Park is home to a variety of wildlife. Encounter roaming bison, bighorn sheep, elk, pronghorn, and curious burros. Fishing lakes and serene landscapes add to the beauty of this state park.
- Reptile Gardens and Wild Horses Sanctuary - Visit the Reptile Gardens and Wild Horses Sanctuary for the ultimate experience. The Reptile Gardens is the largest reptile zoo in the country. Spot freely roaming wild Mustangs at a stretch at the Wild Horses Sanctuary.
- Wall Drugstore - Started as a small convenience store in Wall, Dakota, the Wall Drugstore now stands 76,000-square-feet wide (over 7,060 square meters). Visit it for rich history, amazing food, and drinks. You can add the city of Mitchell for the Corn Palace and Sioux Falls for additional food, culture, and fun to your itinerary.
Key Guidelines for Travelers in South Dakota
South Dakota is a safe and friendly place. Take a trip to the state and create endless memories. Here are a few guidelines that we have curated for you:
- Weather - South Dakota witnesses four distinct seasons. Divided by the Missouri River, each side of South Dakota might experience differences in the climate. Colorful spring sees the state’s most precipitation. Summers are cool and it is best to pack breathable, light clothes. Fall is the best time to enjoy the beautiful national parks. Winters are chilly with temperatures ranging from 0 degrees to -12 degrees Fahrenheit (about -17 degrees to -24 degrees Celsius). South Dakota in the winter is the place to go for skiing, snowmobiling, ice skating, and ice fishing.
- Driving - South Dakota is famous for winter road drives. Hire a self-drive car and admire the beautiful scenic views. Be sure to add the Needles Highway to your road trip. According to the law in South Dakota, it is mandatory to get a driver’s license if you are spending 90 days or more here.
- Recreation - South Dakota is a great destination for children and adults alike. Amusement parks, caves, fossil parks, and museums will keep the whole family happy and entertained. Relish local food at the state’s outstanding restaurants.
- Medical Facilities - As you get ready to enjoy your stay in South Dakota, stay prepared for the unforeseen circumstances too. Having visitors medical insurance is a great idea when travelling to a foreign destination.
Visitors Medical Insurance for Travelers in South Dakota - FAQs
Accidents can happen anytime, and often they will need medical treatment which is costly in the U.S. You cannot avoid any unknown event but you can prepare for it. A visitors medical insurance plan can save you from the burden of costly medical bills in case of emergencies in South Dakota.
Why buy visitors medical insurance before travelling to South Dakota?
South Dakota has much to see, and while you are out seeing the sights, you could fall sick or get injured. Obtaining medical care would be necessary to get better. However, medical facilities in the U.S. are expensive. Buy a visitors medical insurance plan to obtain medical coverage. Pay a small premium and get good short-term visitors medical insurance.
What should I look for in my South Dakota visitors medical insurance?
It is not compulsory to have visitors medical insurance in the United States, but having one can help you in case of a covered medical emergency. A visitors medical insurance plan should also cover acute onset of pre-existing medical conditions if any travelers have pre-existing conditions that could flare up while in South Dakota. Check that your plan is cancellable or extendable in case your plans change and the trip itinerary must be altered.
Trip Cancellation Insurance for Travelers in South Dakota - FAQs
Trip cancellation insurance in South Dakota is worth the investment. Buying an insurance plan when visiting anywhere away from home can provide you a safety net in case of hefty cancellation costs. If the trip is cancelled and any previously arranged costs like lodging and transportation were paid, trip cancellation insurance can work to make sure you are not financially burdened by the cancellation.
Why should I get trip cancellation insurance for my South Dakota travel?
Getting an insurance plan prior to visiting South Dakota will allow you to enjoy your trip without any worry. The insurance can save you from paying any unforeseen cancellation costs that are covered in the plan, including stay, flights, and local tours. Most standard trip cancellation insurance plans cover common reasons for cancellation like work emergencies, flight cancellations or delays, and weather-related cancellations or delays.
What should I look for in my South Dakota trip cancellation insurance?
Review your trip cancellation insurance policy prior to purchasing for the following benefits:
Select a trip cancellation insurance that can cover your stay, flights, and offers coverage in case of trip interruption as well. Compare different insurance plans before purchasing to choose the one that covers most of your tours and activities.
Before You Travel To South Dakota - Do This
A perfect destination for nature lovers, South Dakota offers year-round adventure. Check our pre-travel checklist that will help you when visiting the beautiful state.
- Sturgis Motorcycle Rally: Harley-Davidson riders storm the roads and bylanes of South Dakota for the world’s largest motorcycle rally. This yearly event takes place in August. To attend the event, plan in advance.
- Book your packages: South Dakota is a growing tourist spot. It is best to plan in advance and book your stay, activities, and local tours prior to reaching the state. This will also ensure that no last-minute cancellations spoil your plan.
- Buy a travel insurance plan: A travel insurance plan is a must-buy when travelling to any international destination. It can act as a safety net in case of any covered emergency, trip interruption, or loss of baggage. Before leaving for South Dakota, just enter some basic information, compare your plan options, and purchase the plan that works best for your itinerary, budget, and planned activities.