Keen on bidding goodbye to the typical five-star holidays and indulging in some serious adventure? Hop on the next flight to Chad. This landlocked country in north-central Africa offers lots to see by way of wildlife, deserts, and the exquisite Lake Chad.
N’Djamena, the capital of Chad, is a melting pot of more than 200 ethnic tribes and their respective cultures. Thus, you get to see an effortless mixture of modern urban lifestyle and an ancient and rural way of life of tribespeople like the Tuareg and Toubou.
If you are eager to visit the country of Chad, make sure first that you purchase
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
to protect yourself against any unforeseen illnesses, accidents, or injuries.
Things to Do for Travelers in Chad
Travel in Chad – to put it mildly – is challenging. The sun beats down on you, good hotels are hard to come by, the roads are not among the safest, and so on. So, does Chad have anything memorable for you – for the right reasons?
It has more than you can imagine. The Sahara Desert in Chad is among its most beautiful in the entire continent. The Zakouma National Park, with its bounty of fauna, will get you hooked for sure. And most of all, you get to experience life in a hostile and unforgiving terrain.
- Zakouma National Park: This 3,000-square-kilometer (around 1,158-square-mile) wildlife zone is one of the major success stories for conservation in Africa. In recent years, there has been an increase in the number of animals in the area. The park is home to buffalo, elephants, lions, hartebeests, Kordofan giraffes, and leopards. In the recent past, the Chad government has also introduced black rhinoceros in the park. Stay at the Tinga Camp in the heart of the park and enjoy the wildlife in all its glory.
- Ennedi: This place, comprising the Ennedi Desert, is a harsh terrain. But you can get to see some of the most exquisite rock formations of the world right here. Amidst the flat desert landscape, jutting stone arches and rock formations create a surreal artistic pattern. Do make this trip when in Chad – this will be among the most unforgettable experiences for you.
- Tibesti Mountains: For the adventure junkies, this is the place to be. The mountains are not easy to reach, but they are immensely rewarding visually for the brave hearts. You’d get to see Emi Kossi - the highest peak here reaches 3,500 meters (around 11,483 feet). This is an extinct volcano and only the sure-footed should attempt a climb. For others, there are various attractions here like ancient rock arts, camel races, and hot thermal springs close by.
- Bol: You need to make it stop at this town during your visit to Lake Chad. In its heydays, Lake Chad had been among the largest in the world. But unfortunately, parts of it have dried up. However, in the wet season, the lake extends to almost 20,000 square kilometers (around 7,722 square miles). A part of this lake is adjacent to Bol and is there all year-round. Take a boat ride in the lake to view hippos and rare birds from up close.
- The Lakes of Ounianga: This zone consists of 18 lakes. The Lakes of Ounianga are Chad’s sole claimants to the UNESCO World Heritage Sites status. Underground fossil water feeds these lakes. They consist of both saltwater and fresh water types. The latter also support some marine life. The changing colors of the lake waters as a result of their different chemical compositions are a sight to behold.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Chad
Irrespective of all its scenic beauty, Chad is not the safest of places to be for international travelers. Exercise maximum caution during your travel and stay here.
The risk of diseases is real. Please adopt the necessary precautions.
Be sure to drink only bottled mineral water and eat only food that has been properly and thoroughly cooked.
Chad is a country with strict social laws. Hence, please refrain from wearing revealing clothes or from any public displays of affection.
Chad Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
A disease might strike you at any time. Or you might become a victim of an accident without prior notice. You need to keep in mind that medical treatment facilities in Chad are basic. So, it is best that you have travel medical insurance before visiting Chad, because getting treatment would mean additional expenses.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Chad?
It’s not mandatory for you to purchase travel medical insurance before visiting Chad. Having said that, it’s advisable that you opt for this insurance, because it protects you from financial hassles in the event of a medical situation.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Chad?
It’s most unfortunate for any mishap to cut short a vacation. And all that traveling in rough terrain like that of Chad can increase the chances that you get physically injured. Add to it the threats of pickpockets and muggers.
Treatment facilities in Chad are basic, and medical evacuation will cost you a lot of money. Hence, it makes sense to buy Chad travel medical insurance prior to your trip.
Chad Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
There are multiple reasons that might necessitate a trip cancellation. Along with the frustration, a canceled trip also involves financial losses.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Chad?
You have paid for the air tickets and probably also for the hotel bookings. But if your trip gets canceled, you would lose all that money. Trip cancellation insurance is the best bet for you, as it protects you against financial pressures. You can get reimbursed for any pre-paid, non-refundable expenses you put down if you have to cancel your trip for a covered reason as listed in your policy. You can read the certificate wording for a better understanding of what is and isn’t covered.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Chad?
The insurance policy covers all the key reasons for trip cancellation like a death in the family, inclement weather, unrest at the destination, etc. You must buy Chad travel insurance. But do check for the conditions covered.
Before You Travel to Chad…
Maintain soft copies of your passport and visa, and share a copy of your travel plans with everyone in your circle.
Go through the travel advisories.
Remember to buy Chad travel insurance. Enter some basic information about your travelers and trip, browse a wide variety of plans side by side, and select the one that best fits your needs.