If you are looking for white sandy beaches and lagoon waters, head straight to the Republic of Kiribati. Kiribati’s tourism industry is still in its infancy. And this makes it an excellent pick for those who don’t want to indulge in forced wonders but want to explore nature’s raw beauty. If that’s what you are looking forward to, then Kiribati—a group of 30 coral islands between Fiji and Hawaii—should be your destination of choice.
However, before you go, be sure to buy
travel medical insurance or
as protection against the unexpected.
Things to Do for Travelers in Kiribati
While tourism is not entirely commercialized, there is still a lot to explore in Kiribati. To streamline the creation of your itinerary, here are our top picks:
Get a slice of local life at South Tarawa
The capital of Kiribati, South Tarawa, is often dropped from the itinerary as it isn’t a pretty town with touristy places. But if you want to get a slice of local life and would like to indulge with the locals, South Tarawa should be on your map.
Go for underwater adventures
Kiribati is the world’s largest coral atoll. The sandy beaches and clear waters give way to coral gardens that are a dream for divers. When in Kiribati, don’t forget to go for an underwater adventure.
Spend time at Maneabas
Every village in Kiribati has a community center called maneabas. These are the administrative headquarters, but also offer tourists a place to engage in the local dancing, music, and storytelling activities.
Get some history lessons
Butaritari and the Tarawa islands of Kiribati have a lot of war relics from the time of WWII. Gather some information about the bloodiest battles between the U.S. and Japan here.
Try your hands at game fishing
Game fishing is particularly popular on Christmas Island. It has been a destination for quite a few international competitions too. When in Kiribati, don’t skip trying your hand at game fishing.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Kiribati
Some risks that travelers should be aware of include:
- Kiribati has a lot of health risks. Mosquito-borne diseases like dengue, hepatitis A, and ciguatera (a fish-induced food poisoning) are common. Pollution levels are also high here. Don’t drink tap water and eat food from reliable places only.
- The water bodies in Kiribati are not exactly safe, to say the least. A lot of locals use the lagoons as their toilet. Poor sanitation and minimal infrastructure are the reason behind this. Swimming in the lagoons might not be the best option. Poisonous fish and sea snakes also pose a danger.
- The economic and social conditions are not very developed or stable.There are not many flights in and out of Kiribati. Also, the conditions of the airplanes cannot be called state-of-the-art. It is wise to do your homework and background research before scheduling your trip.
- Typhoons are a common occurrence in Kiribati. Check the weather forecasts and travel warnings regularly.
Kiribati Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
One of the worst things that could happen to you on your trip is a health hazard. Especially when in Kiribati, you don’t want that to happen to you. It would not just ruin your trip, but it would also cause you a lot of stress and financial trouble. Because you are unlikely to get proper care in Kiribati, medical evacuation would cost a small fortune. The only solution in such situations is Kiribati travel medical insurance.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Kiribati?
You are not legally required to show proof of medical travel insurance for entry to Kiribati. But, it is highly advisable due to obvious reasons. Kiribati travel medical insurance is the only way you can mitigate the high cost of evacuation, as local services would hardly be satisfactory.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Kiribati?
On your trip to Kiribati, you don’t need the constant fear of having to break the bank if you fall ill looming over your head. For complete peace of mind, buy travel medical insurance. With this coverage, you can mitigate the cost of availing healthcare and have a stress-free vacation.
Kiribati Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
The infrastructural facilities in Kiribati are somewhat dubious. If you don’t want third-party cancellations to ruin the fun and cost you a bomb, get trip cancellation insurance for complete financial coverage. You’re eligible for these benefits if you have to cancel your trip for a covered reason as listed in your policy’s certificate wording. Be sure to read the fine print so you know what would and wouldn’t be covered.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Kiribati?
Experts suggest that you buy Kiribati travel insurance. There is always the possibility of your trip being canceled due to multiple personal or external reasons. Don’t let the penalties, fines, and charges of cancellation add to your woes of a missed trip.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Kiribati?
What your trip cancellation insurance for Kiribati covers depends on several factors. How early you get the insurance and how much premium you are willing to pay are the primary factors. Most Kiribati vacation insurance plans would offer coverage for third-party cancellations. Some others also cover cancellations from your end.
Read the policy-related documents carefully for complete details of coverage.
Before You Travel to Kiribati…
Before you set sail for a unique and unfiltered Kiribati vacation, do these things:
- Get all your papers in place. Keep photocopies handy, and carry all documents in a safe pouch/bag to keep either with you or in a secure location.
- Bookmark weather forecast and travel advisory websites for Kiribati. Follow the officially issued directives.
- Understand the risks that you are the most exposed to. Explore the marketplace for the most comprehensive coverage, and get the right Kiribati travel insurance for complete mental peace and an enjoyable vacation.