Kolkata is located in eastern India. Until 1911, Kolkata was the capital of the British Empire in India, and that made it a city of great commercial significance.
The city is well known for its reformation movements in the 19th century and for being the vanguard of social change.
At one time, Kolkata was industrialized and wealthy, and while there was some decline at one time, there has been an economic revival in recent years. The city even boasts a Trump Tower, one of only four in India.
The old city that the British founded has narrow lanes and congested markets, while the eastern and southern parts of the city are more modern and well maintained. It is famous for being the City of Joy, an epithet given by Dominique Lapierre, the French writer who was astonished by the simplicity and spontaneous happiness that the populace enjoyed.
Before your visit to Kolkata, be sure to purchase
travel medical insurance or
as protection against any unforeseen accidents, illnesses, injuries, or travel issues.
Things to Do for Travelers in Kolkata
There is no lack of activities in Kolkata. From its vibrant nightlife to its stately mansions, the city has something for everyone. Kolkata has also produced a Nobel Laureate in literature and two Nobel Laureates in economics. In all, six Nobel Prize winners are associated with the city.
- Jorasanko Thakur Bari: The Tagore family played a crucial role in 19th-century Bengal. Their cultural contributions reached their zenith with Rabindranath Tagore, the first Asian recipient of the Nobel Prize. The sprawling house built by Prince Dwarkanath Tagore in north Kolkata is now a university campus and museum.
- Marble Palace: The wealthy Bengali merchants built palatial homes, of which the largest is the Marble Palace built by Raja Rajendra Mullick. The mansion is open for visitors (except on Mondays and Thursdays) and is an excellent example of neoclassical architecture with huge lawns.
- Alipore Zoo: Spread across almost 50 acres, the Alipore Zoological Gardens is the oldest zoo in India. You can find nearly every kind of big game, from Bengal tigers to Asiatic and African lions, hippos, and rhinoceroses. In the winter, the zoo wetlands are a stopover for migratory birds from the northern hemisphere on their route to the south.
- Indian Museum: It is the ninth-oldest museum in the world and the oldest in India. Among its vast collection, you can find an Egyptian mummy, rare artifacts from Buddhist stupas, and a plethora of weapons and dresses from the Mughal Era. Besides, there are fossils, manuscripts, and rare botanical specimens on display.
- Victoria Memorial: Located right in the middle of the city is the Victoria Memorial, a building dedicated to the erstwhile British Empress. It was meant to rival the Taj Mahal and has similar dimensions. Made entirely of white Makrana marble, it has 25 galleries and a huge collection of Indian art. Visitors often relax in the vast, 65-acre garden surrounding the building.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Kolkata
A vacation is meant to relax your soul and free your spirits. But fate does not always comply with our hope. Kolkata is a safe city, but not entirely free of hazards. In an unknown metropolis, the troubles you face would seem worse. That is why it is imperative you take out Kolkata travel insurance before travel.
Malaria and dengue are the main culprits during winter. Both are borne by mosquitoes and cause high fever and weakness. Though proper medical attention does not lead to fatalities, you would be weak for many weeks. Always use plenty of mosquito repellant spray and cream.
Traffic in Kolkata is chaotic. Huge buses zip through narrow roads that are crowded with tuk-tuks. At all times, keep your seatbelt on.
There is very little organized crime, but the city center is known for pickpockets (as in most heavy tourist areas), so keep an eye on your wallet and valuables.
Be wary of travel scams. Unscrupulous operators would offer you dream tours to Darjeeling or Sunderbans at unbelievably low prices and vanish with any advance payments. Ask your hotel to make travel arrangements on your behalf.
There is sometimes an increase in crime around Christmas and New Year. Though there is a robust police presence, it is best to avoid dark areas of the city at night and always be aware of your surroundings.
Kolkata Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Kolkata is a vast and well-developed metropolis. The private hospitals are top-notch and can provide excellent care. It is even known as a well-known medical tourism destination. However, the treatment comes at a steep price.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Kolkata?
There is no legal mandate to buy travel medical insurance before you visit Kolkata. But keep in mind that any emergency can cause large expenditures. That is why we advise you to buy sufficient travel medical insurance.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Kolkata?
A trip through Kolkata and the adjoining countryside can be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. But we cannot avoid illness or injuries. A fall down the stairs or a traffic accident cannot be ruled out. A case of malaria may find you hospitalized for two weeks. You would, of course, be well cared for—but at a cost. Remember, therefore, to buy travel medical insurance to enjoy your vacation in peace.
Kolkata Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Trip cancellation is a sad event, but it happens to every traveler sooner or later. If someone close to you falls sick, can you really go on a vacation? To avoid loss, it is best to buy trip cancellation insurance.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Kolkata?
You have already paid for most of your trip, including hotels and flight tickets, in advance. If you are traveling through a tour operator, the amount paid is often substantial. You could recoup most or all of your expenses through trip cancellation insurance. Trip cancellation insurance can reimburse you for the full amount of your prepaid, non-refundable expenses if you have to cancel for a reason covered in the policy. Review your plan's certificate wording before purchase for a full understanding of situations that would or wouldn't be covered.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Kolkata?
The most common reasons are covered in most standard plans. Falling ill before departure, the illness of a family member, and weather-related cancellations or delays are the top reasons for postponing trips.
With travel insurance, you can also get coverage for trip interruption, trip delay, missed connections, lost luggage, and more. Make it a point to buy travel insurance before you embark on a trip.
Before You Travel to Kolkata - Do This
Enjoy the serene culture of Kolkata, but be sure to take a few precautions:
Keep your passport, visa, and hotel receipts in a folder that is always either with you or tucked away in a safe, secure spot.
Enjoy the city, but be cautious. The most peaceful locations can spring the nastiest surprises.
Do not neglect to buy sufficient
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
for your family. Don't buy the first plan you see. Enter some basic information about your trip, and take the time to compare your options. Then pick the plan that best meets the needs of your destination, your itinerary, and your budget.