Crystal clear lakes, soaring mountain peaks, and high mountain passes that seem to be stairways to the clouds – do they sound like the perfect combination for an awesome vacation? They do. So, you would have a great time in Tajikistan, where such sights and more abound.
More than 90% of the land area of the landlocked Central Asian nation of Tajikistan is mountain terrain. Traditional communities have been living here for centuries, braving all the climatic adversities. They are cheerful and welcoming towards tourists. Catch a glimpse of old civilizations amidst splendid natural surroundings while you are in Tajikistan. But before you go, make sure you buy
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
as coverage against any unexpected accidents or illnesses that could occur.
Things to Do for Travelers in Tajikistan
A part of the old Silk Route, Tajikistan is home to the mighty Pamir Mountains, one of the highest ranges in the world. The beautiful yet tough terrains offer excellent travel options for connoisseurs.
- Pamir Highway: Among the chief attractions of Tajikistan, this road cutting across the Pamir Mountains was an important component of the Silk Route. The partly-paved road, surrounded by many-hued mountains, offers jaw-dropping beautiful scenery and provides the driving/cycling experience of a lifetime. The road trip along this highway will prove the age-old saying: “The journey is more important than the destination”.
- Khujand: A visit to the second-largest city of Tajikistan would take you back in time. The historic city of Khujand by the Syr Darya River has been a center for trade and culture since the times of Alexander the Great. Successive invaders came and went, but Khujand retained its old status. Explore the Panjshanbe Bazaar, among the largest in the Ferghana Valley. Drop in to the Historical Museum to learn more about the checkered history of Khujand.
- Murghab: Murghab, at 3,618 meters (around 11,870 feet) above sea level, is the highest city in Central Asia. It lies above the tree line. The high barren mountains surrounding the city present a picture of splendid desolation. Inhabited by the ethnic minority Kyrgyz people, this is the place to try out lip-smacking Kyrgyz food and watch the locals in their traditional gear.
- Penjikent: Care to try out the delectable national dish plov? Visit Penjikent for the best version of the food. Another major attraction here is the almost 5,000-year old ruins of ancient civilizations. Declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Penjikent was a flourishing city during the Old Silk Route days. Residents abandoned the city in the 8th century during the Arab invasion of the region, but archaeologists have excavated parts of the old city, now showing beautifully decorated walls and lots of old artifacts.
- Iskanderkul Lake: The legendary conqueror Alexander the Great stopped by this lake during his Asian conquests, so goes the local legend. The stunning scenery of the lake and the surrounding craggy mountains will remain etched in your mind forever while you relax by the lakeside and visualize the great king atop his horse beside the lake. With some luck, you might catch a glimpse of bears, mountain goats, wolves, and the snow leopard.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Tajikistan
Tajikistan doesn’t pose any serious threat to international travelers. The locals are warm and friendly, and many of them provide home-stay facilities, even in remote locations. The overall crime rate is low, and the government is keen to promote tourism as a means of bolstering the economy.
However, international travelers still need to be wary of some possible risk factors – not major, but still discomforting.
The borders with Afghanistan and Uzbekistan have a fair number of unexploded mines. While most are marked, some aren’t. If you have to travel to such locations, do so only with a government-appointed guide.
Tajikistan is an Islamic country. It is not a radical country, but do observe certain norms like dressing moderately in public and avoiding public displays of affection with your partner. Before photographing any local people, do ask for their permission.
Avoid hailing taxis from the road at night. Unscrupulous drivers are there who might rob and strand you. If you have to travel after sundown, take a taxi from an authorized travel agency.
Sanitation standards outside the cities are low in Tajikistan. Carry water-purifying tablets or a portable water purifier with you at all times. Don’t eat food that is not fully cooked, unless it is unavoidable.
Tajikistan Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
A wonderful vacation might be cut short without notice due to a sudden mishap or illness. Treatment for the same in a foreign country would be expensive, and so would be any medical evacuation. It’s better that you avail of travel medical insurance prior to your trip.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Tajikistan?
Getting travel medical insurance is not mandatory to visit Tajikistan. However, it would do you good to have health insurance, as it would save you from incurring expenses on medical treatment while you are there.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Tajikistan?
All this traveling in harsh terrains and unavoidable compromises with hygiene might make you ill or injured. You can avail of treatment locally, but the expenses would add on to your budget. So, buy travel medical insurance before you visit Tajikistan.
Tajikistan Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Multiple reasons might necessitate trip cancellation. It makes you feel disturbed. It also causes you a substantial financial loss. However, trip cancellation insurance can help reimburse you for any pre-paid, non-refundable expenses you put down, as long as you cancel your trip for a covered reason as listed in your policy’s certificate wording.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Tajikistan?
There-and-back air tickets, hotel bookings at the destination, local sightseeing – you might have paid in advance for all or most of these. But a cancelled trip would mean forfeiting almost all of this money. However, trip cancellation insurance could save you from suffering financial losses.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Tajikistan?
The insurance policy would cover the most common reasons for cancellation, like last-minute developments at the destination, a workplace emergency, a loss in the family, etc. Confirm with the insurance service provider the reasons covered, and then buy Tajikistan travel insurance.
Before You Travel to Tajikistan - Do This
Do keep in mind these simple but necessary points before your travel.
Maintain multiple copies of your travel documents.
Update yourself regularly about the political conditions at the destination.
Buy Tajikistan travel insurance. Enter some basic information about the trip and travelers, compare a wide variety of options side by side, and pick the one that best fits the needs of your trip.