The Republic of San Marino is a microstate in Southern Europe, entirely enclosed by Italy. It is the world's oldest surviving sovereign state and the oldest constitutional republic.
The country derives its name from Saint Marinus and is an intriguing nation. The country is full of castles, museums, and cathedrals dating back to the medieval ages. It also offers plenty of scope for outdoor activities ranging from trekking and cycling to the more sedate pastimes such as numismatics (coin collecting) and philately (stamp collecting). Compound that with tax-free shopping, and you'll get an insight as to why San Marino is a joy for travelers.
Situated on the northeastern side of the Apennine Mountains, the country offers gorgeous sights of the bordering Adriatic Sea. Its capital, the City of San Marino, is at the country’s highest point, located on a steep mountain. Because of the presence of the sea and hazardous rocky terrain, it is beneficial for travelers to invest in travel and medical insurance when visiting San Marino. You can purchase
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
on this website.
Things to Do for Travelers in San Marino
San Marino is a country within a country. The climate is pleasant and temperate throughout the year. From around May to August, the summer months are the peak tourist season with all the country’s biggest events taking place. Although this is when San Marino is at its joyous best, it is also the time when accommodation is available at a premium and everything is more expensive.
Here are our picks of the top things to engage in when visiting this charming microstate.
- The iconic three towers: Three defensive fortresses perch on the slopes of Titano, looking out towards the Adriatic coast. Rocca Guaita (or The First Tower) is the most iconic. Castello Cesta (The Second Tower) houses the city’s Museum of Archaic Arms, an extensive collection of ancient and medieval weaponry and battle dresses. Montale (The Third Tower) is the smallest of the three towers and serves as the best lookout post.
- Fun funicular ride: The San Marino funicular/cableway links Borgo Maggiore Castle at the bottom of Mount Titano to San Marino's historic center and offers some spectacular views along the way.
- Tax-free shopping spree: San Marino has a very low tax policy, so you can splurge in the shops here. The best souvenirs to buy in San Marino are the country’s local handicrafts, wrought iron, fine ceramics, furniture, and excellent wines.
- State Museum of San Marino: The State Museum (Museo di Stati) houses archaeological remains, coins, and ancient Etruscan and Roman artifacts from the Neolithic period to the Middle Ages. It also houses 17th-century paintings and sculptures by the likes of Guercino.
- Sporting events: The country hosts the San Marino Formula One Grand Prix in April/May, and in September, the San Marino Cycling Grand Prix. San Marino also has an annual International Tennis Tournament held in July/ August, making it a year-round destination for sports enthusiasts.
- Medieval Days: If you're not interested in sporting events, one festival to watch out for in July is the cultural event known as “Medieval Days”. It features lots of medieval customs, cultural performances, and contests, including a medieval archery crossbow competition. If you can schedule your trip accordingly, you can have a great time enjoying the culture of San Marino.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in San Marino
San Marino is one of the safest countries you could ever visit. The crime rate here is so low that you can walk by yourself during the night without worrying about anything happening to you. Burglary and petty theft do happen, however, and are the only things you should take precautions against.
Pick-pocketing and Theft: Petty theft and street crime exist in San Marino, although it is rare. The country is safe and you rarely have to go the extra mile to protect yourself, but such scenarios can happen, so it is better to be prepared and insured against such incidents.
Scammers and Con-men: There are little to no reports of scams taking place in San Marino but the country has open borders with Italy. Thus, you might fall prey to some scams common in Italy. Basic safety measures against scams would be an effective way to safeguard oneself.
Transportation risks: Talking on the phone or smoking while driving is illegal. Driving a vehicle into San Marino requires you to have insurance that’s valid for over three months.
Natural hazards: San Marino witnesses occasional earthquakes. Apart from that, there are no serious risks that should be of major concern.
Health risks: There are no serious diseases, epidemics, or viruses that you should worry about. Routine vaccines against hepatitis A and B, measles, and rabies are recommended before entering San Marino.
San Marino Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
San Marino can offer a high quality of healthcare and is among Europe's top three healthcare providers. Private clinics excel in comfort and quality of service but have higher costs of treatment. Travelling with proper travel health insurance to cover any emergency medical costs is a good practice.
Do I need travel medical insurance for San Marino?
Travel medical insurance is not legally required in San Marino. However, travelers in San Marino must ensure that they have proper insurance coverage for all medical situations, including those requiring medical evacuation. Purchasing comprehensive travel and medical insurance is recommended.
Why buy travel medical insurance for San Marino?
When you buy San Marino travel medical insurance, it should come with several benefits for travelers, like:
Healthcare benefits if you fall prey to diseases like hepatitis A, measles, or rabies during your trip.
Financial safeguard in the event of accident or injury, requiring advanced medical treatment.
Health insurance coverage that includes emergency evacuation to neighboring countries like Italy.
San Marino Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
San Marino travel insurance has been made mandatory for entry to San Marino. You should check the official website for the latest up-to-date entry requirements.
Legally mandatory or not, travel insurance with trip cancellation benefits is an indispensable asset when travelling. Such policies offer financial security in case of unforeseen circumstances and emergencies.
You should buy a San Marino travel insurance plan to protect yourself from hefty cancellation costs that you may have to bear in case of last-minute trip cancellations.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for San Marino?
Trip cancellation insurance for San Marino ensures you get reimbursed for pre-paid, non-refundable expenses if you have to cancel your trip for a reason listed in your policy’s certificate wording. Most insurance policies offer coverage regardless of whether it’s you or a third party that cancels the trip. Buy travel insurance with proper trip cancellation coverage for mental peace during your trip.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for San Marino?
San Marino trip cancellation insurance can provide financial coverage in the following situations:
Delayed departure, causing you to miss your subsequent flight
Hotel booking cancellations
Before You Travel to San Marino - Do This
Get Vaccinated: San Marino has no infectious diseases, epidemics, or viruses. Routine vaccines against hepatitis A and B, measles, and rabies should be enough. If you need prescription drugs, we recommend that you check in advance if you can carry them to San Marino or not.
Get Insured: Don’t forget to compare different travel insurance plans for tourists in San Marino and buy the one that is best for you and your loved ones. Travel insurance is invaluable to the traveler. It protects you from pitfalls and provides financial support during an emergency. It is best to be prepared and insured against unforeseen situations.
Documents and personal effects: Make sure your passport and travel documents comply with international travel guidelines. Keeping your personal effects and travel documents organized ensures a smooth, hassle-free travelling experience.