Soak in the coastal essence of Alaska at Kenai Fjords National Park. The park was developed in 1980 to protect the Harding Icefield. It covers a massive area, which is mostly covered with ice and snow. The Harding Icefield crowns the park and is the source of almost 38 glaciers.
The park has around 40 glaciers with most of them accessible by boat. You also get a chance to witness wildlife at the park. Some of the animals found there are bears, otters, whales, sea lions, and seals. You can choose from many options to stay and eat nearby the park.
Visit the park in the summer months to enjoy the landscape and adventure activities. Do not miss out on buying a
visitors medical insurance or
. Enjoy your trip to the majestic national park but also stay prepared for any accidents or mishaps.
Things You Can Do in Kenai Fjords National Park
The national park gets its name from many Fjords. It is a haven for any nature lover and has plenty of activities to choose from. Here we have some things that you can do in Kenai Fjords National Park.
- Harding Icefield trail - This is a strenuous hike that takes six to eight hours to complete. It passes through forests and meadows and reaches the viewpoint that offers stunning views of the icefield. The view at the end makes the walk worth it.
- Flightseeing tour - Enjoy a birds-eye view of the majestic icefields. You can book a flightseeing tour from Seward any time of the year, depending upon the weather conditions.
- Boat tour - A boat tour is the most popular way to experience the beautiful glacier views. You can also opt for kayaking. Daily boat tours run from mid-May to late September. You can book a round trip for a half-day or full-day excursion.
- Fishing - Go fishing in the park's backcountry, in Fjords. You will need a fishing license for the activity. Most fishing charters operate all year round.
- Adventure activities - The park is open in the winter months as well and offers plenty of adventure activities. Enjoy snowmobiling, dog sledding, mountaineering, skiing, and ice climbing.
Key Guidelines for Travelers in Kenai Fjords National Park
You can take a boat or plane to reach the beautiful Kenai Fjords National Park. Take a look at our key guidelines for your trip to Kenai Fjords National Park:
- Weather - Kenai Fjords National Park witnesses unpredictable weather. The temperature in summertime ranges from mid-40 degrees Fahrenheit (about 7 degrees Celsius) to the low 70 degrees Fahrenheit (about 21 degrees Celsius). Cool rainy days are frequent and snow often remains in higher altitudes until July. The temperature in winters can go as low as -20 degrees Fahrenheit (about -29 degrees Celsius).
- Accessibility - The 1-mile (about 1.6 kilometer) loop to the exit glacier is wheelchair-accessible. Partially graveled and partially compressed, it leads to a panoramic view. The restrooms, cabins, campgrounds, and boat tours are also wheelchair friendly.
- Places to eat and stay - Seward, a nearby port town, offers great places to eat and stay. You can find budget-friendly accommodations in Seward. If you are looking to stay in the park, you can choose from three cabins. There are also 12 campsites near Exit Glacier, available on a first come first serve basis.
- Medical facilities - The nearest major medical center is in Seward, which is miles away. Know your limits and do not push yourself beyond what your health allows.
- Safety - While Kenai Fjords National Park is a great place to challenge your outdoorsy self, it is also important to stay prepared for any mishaps. The remote and rugged area makes it prone to accidents. Stay prepared and close to your travel group. A visitors medical insurance plan can be your safety net.
Visitors Medical Insurance for Travelers in Kenai Fjords National Park - FAQs
With all the activities and sights you can see at Kenai Fjords National Park, the chances of an accident occurring can be high. The chilly weather could make you catch a cold. Either way, you would need to avail of medical care, and this can be expensive in the U.S. Visitors medical insurance is a smart investment, especially when visiting a foreign country. It is best to buy a plan prior to your trip to enjoy your travel worry-free.
Why buy visitors medical insurance before traveling to Kenai Fjords National Park?
You cannot predict when an illness or an injury will strike. Medical facilities in the U.S. are excellent but expensive. A visitors medical insurance plan can give you the freedom to choose the best medical care if needed. Visitors medical insurance can cover your emergency medical charges should the trip take a negative turn.
What should I look for in my Kenai Fjords National Park visitors medical insurance?
A visitors medical insurance plan can cover your injuries, accidents, emergency medical evacuation, and emergency room admission. If anyone attending the trip has a pre-existing condition that could flare up, it would be wise to obtain a plan with acute onset of pre-existing conditions coverage.
Be sure to purchase a visitors medical insurance plan before you take your trip. It is always better to be safe than sorry, and with a plan in place you would be physically and financially safe.
Trip Cancellation Insurance for Travelers in Kenai Fjords National Park - FAQs
Planning a trip can include prepayments that are non-refundable. If an emergency occurs before you get to enjoy your trip, you could lose out on the experience and a lot of money. Do not let any unwanted event ruin your entire trip. Buy a trip cancellation insurance to save yourself from the financial drain an emergency can cause.
Why should I get trip cancellation insurance for my Kenai Fjords National Park travel?
Trip cancellation insurance in Kenai Fjords National Park is a good investment. It can prevent you from paying any cancellation costs in case the trip is canceled due to a reason approved under the plan. This includes flights, stays, and tours. Weather-related events, work emergencies, and falling sick before the trip are common approved reasons listed, but read several plans before purchasing as benefits can vary from plan to plan.
What should I look for in my Kenai Fjords National Park trip cancellation insurance?
If the trip is canceled due to a plan-approved reason, the trip cancellation insurance will work to reimburse you for the prepaid, non-refundable expenses. Your plan should include coverages like trip cancellation for a covered reason, trip interruption for a covered reason, missed connection coverage, and theft or baggage loss coverage.
A trip cancellation insurance plan is recommended for both international and domestic travelers. Go for a plan that covers both trip cancellation and trip interruption charges. Compare and choose the best plan that suits your needs.
Before You Travel To Kenai Fjords National Park - Do This
Keep someone informed
A solo trip to Kenai Fjords National Park is an interesting idea. It is recommended to keep someone informed about your plan when traveling solo. This can be your emergency contact in case anything goes wrong.
It is a good idea to stay prepared for the rainforest climate. Pack sunglasses and dress in layers when in Kenai Fjords National Park. Carry breathable and quick-dry clothes to stay warm and dry while traveling.
A travel insurance plan is a smart investment. Buying a plan before you travel can make sure you do not have a financial meltdown due to an emergency. All that is required is for you to enter some basic information, review the plans available, and choose the plan that works best for you, your destination, and your budget.