With more than 119 caves featuring spectacular rock formations, Carlsbad Caverns National Park is a place where time seems to have stood still for centuries. It stands today as one of the most scenic and spectacular national parks in New Mexico. Much of that claim to fame comes from its impressive ‘Big Cave' or ‘Big Room'. Its extensive decorations make it a prime destination for tourists.
Before you travel to Carlsbad Caverns National Park, be sure to purchase
visitors medical insurance or
for adequate financial coverage for injuries, accidents, and other mishaps.
Most Popular Tourist Destinations
- Big Room - With a floor space of about 14 American football fields, this giant cavern is the focal point of the national park. This large limestone chamber is a dreamlike wonder of various rock formations and decorations. You can reach the Big Room by elevator or through the Natural Entrance, a 1.25-mile (about 2-kilometer) long descending trail. The lighting of the rock formations throughout the cave adds to the dramatic and mesmerizing experience.
- Bat Flight Program - This program is held in the amphitheater at the Natural Entrance every evening from late May to October. Here, a ranger discusses the notorious residents of the caverns - the bats. When the conditions are favorable, hundreds of thousands of bats will soar off over your head. It's a spectacular sight you don't want to miss while you're at the Carlsbad Caverns National Park.
- King's Palace - This is the area where most of the stalactite and stalagmite formations are located. In this one-mile long tour, you'll come across four highly decorated rooms: the King's Palace, the Queen's Room, The Papoose Room, and the Green Lake Room. It's advisable to take a guided tour of the King's Palace to learn more about the formation of the cave. Rangers frequently conduct ‘blackouts' to emphasize the natural darkness of the caves.
- Bottomless Pit - Bottomless Pit is one of the well-known features of the Big Room. It's a deep rift in the limestone floor that extends downwards 140 feet (over 42 meters) giving it an appearance that it's bottomless. Hold on to your phones and cameras if you're looking to take pictures. Dropping it would ruin your day.
- Visitor's Center - This is where your tour of the national park will first start. From here you can take an elevator down to the Big Room, or hike other trails. The visitor's center has a gift shop, a café, and a bookstore. From the counter you can get a map of the national park, a junior ranger booklet, and other general information regarding the tour. The center also features exhibits on bats, geology, and wildlife of the cavern.
Key Guidelines for the Travelers in Carlsbad Caverns National Park
- Weather Concerns - Carlsbad is scorching hot during the summer, but the subterranean caverns offer some relief from the heat. As there's no influence of the outer environment, the temperatures and humidity levels are fairly stable inside the caves. The park receives occasional snow during winter, which is a quite pleasant experience. The cavern will be chilly, so make sure you're carrying a light jacket even if it's hot outside.
- Medical Concerns - Most of the infectious diseases you can acquire in the cave are caused by the agents linked to its fauna. The cave fauna includes bats, rodents, reptiles, and insects. Bats can spread diseases like histoplasmosis and rabies, though close encounters with these animals are very rare. Make sure you turn on your flashlight in the dark parts of the cavern.
- Safety Concerns - The absence of natural lights at the lower levels increases the chance for accidents involving contusions, abrasions, cuts, and fractions. The terrain of the cavern is rough. Wear footwear that provides good balance and traction. Sighting of rattlesnakes isn't uncommon though a close encounter is rare. Be on the lookout for the reptiles and bats. If you're doing backcountry hiking, make sure you're carrying plenty of water and sunscreen. Wear long pants for protection against spines and thorns.
- Transportation - The park's entrance is located on U.S. Highway 62/180, approximately 18 miles (nearly 29 kilometers) southwest of Carlsbad, New Mexico. The closest major airport to the park is in El Paso, Texas. All major airlines offer flight service to the airport. From the airport, the park can be reached via U.S. Highway 62 and 180. Rental cars and taxi services are available from the airport.
Visitors Medical Insurance for Travelers in Carlsbad Caverns National Park - FAQs
With high ancient sea ledges, deep rocky canyons, flowering cactus, and desert wildlife, Carlsbad Cavern National Park has something to entice all its visitors. But accidents that would require medical treatment can happen at any time when you're traveling. The huge hospital bills will only add to your problems. So be prudent and buy visitors medical insurance before you set off on your trip.
Why buy visitors medical insurance before traveling to Carlsbad Caverns National Park?
The absence of natural light in the deepest part of the caverns increases the chances of accidents. This poses a risk to your safety. In case of any injury, the treatment can be very expensive. But a suitable visitors medical insurance can give financial coverage to medical emergencies. It can cover the hefty hospital bills for you so that you can travel and enjoy Carlsbad Caverns National Park stress-free.
What should I look for in my Carlsbad Caverns National Park visitors medical insurance?
Visitors medical insurance can cover the financial cost of treatment of injuries as a result of adventure sport, physical activity, or any other new accident. It can also offer emergency medical evacuation coverage and hospitalization of the patient. While reviewing the plan, other important benefits to look for include PPO Network participation and the ability of the plan to be extended in case an injury causes you to remain behind longer than originally planned.
Injuries can occur at any time when you're traveling. To save yourself from paying hefty hospital bills during any medical emergency, be sure you buy visitors medical insurance
Trip Cancellation Insurance for Travelers in Carlsbad Caverns National Park - FAQs
After booking expensive hotels and flights, you're ready to embark on your trip. However, sometimes unexpected things come up that require you to cancel your trip. We've all been there, but cancellation comes with hefty charges which can cause financial loss. To avoid this financial hardship, purchase a trip cancellation insurance plan before taking off for your destination.
Why should I get trip cancellation insurance for my Carlsbad Caverns National Park trip?
If you've paid a lot of money in booking your trip, it's worth taking a look at trip cancellation insurance. If due to some unforeseeable reason you need to cancel or reschedule your hotel or flight booking, your trip cancellation insurance plan can come in handy. With trip cancellation insurance you don't need to worry about financial setbacks of the cancellations anymore. Before you buy a plan, read through multiple options as coverages between plans can vary.
What should I look for in my Carlsbad Caverns National Park trip cancellation insurance?
Your trip cancellation insurance can bear the hefty cancellation charges whenever you cancel your flight or hotel booking due to a reason listed in the plan. It also can provide coverage for loss of personal belongings such as your baggage, passport, or wallet. Other expenses that your trip cancellation plan should cover include trip cancellation coverage for a covered reason, missed connection coverage, and trip delay coverage.
Buy a travel insurance plan that works to cover the cancellation charges when your trip canceled or rescheduled by an approve reason. This helps you plan your trip without worrying about the financial setbacks of trip cancellation.
Before You Go To Carlsbad Caverns National Park - Do This
Even if it's hot outside, the caverns will be chilly. So don't forget to pack a light jacket.
Buy shoes that offer good balance and traction. Your regular flip flops and sandals will increase your chances of falling and slipping inside the caves.
Buy travel insurance coverage suitable for you and your travel mates. With good travel insurance, you can travel and enjoy what Carlsbad Caverns National Park has to offer to you with peace of mind.