Hamburg is a port city in Germany with unwavering spirits. The city has faced the Great Fire, the North Sea flood, and bombing raids during World War II, but nothing could stop Hamburg from becoming the wealthiest city in Germany.
And it is not just the commercial center of Germany. It is a cultural melting pot which has diverse gastronomical wonders waiting to be tasted. Sing, dance, and make merry while you are in the wonderful seaport city of Hamburg. Enjoy culture, architecture, and myriad cuisines. The energy and the lively vibe of the place with its residents is contagious. And it is impossible to have a dull day when in Hamburg.
Before you leave, remember to buy
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
to protect your finances against unexpected accidents, illnesses, injuries, or travel mishaps.
Things to Do for Travelers in Hamburg
Don't want to miss out on the best experiences in Hamburg? Here are our picks for places to visit and things to do in Hamburg:
- Speicherstadt (The Warehouse City): A World Heritage Site, Speicherstadt was originally built as a warehouse city, but now it has become a tourist attraction, too. Walk along the red-bricked canyons and enjoy the unique atmosphere that the place offers.
- Elbphilharmonie: Elbphilharmonie is the tallest inhabited building in Hamburg. At the top of the Plaza, there is a cafe and an observation deck open to the public. The building also houses the Great Concert Hall; a performance of the Elbphilharmonie orchestra in this hall, with its seating capacity of 2,100, shouldn't be missed.
- International Maritime Museum: If you love anything about the sea, the International Maritime Museum is where you should be. Opened in 2008, the museum has on display interesting artifacts like sailboats, Admiral Nelson's letters, and more.
- Harbor Boat Tour: You should not go to a port city without going on a boat tour that lets you explore the port's waterfront. There are multiple free and paid options to choose from, depending on what part of the district you want to see.
- Walk, Jog, and Enjoy at Außenalster: The shores of Lake Außenalster are a great place to walk, jog, and have fun in general. It is like a large park punctuated by small kiosks and cafes that offer great coffee.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Hamburg
Hamburg is a typical European city, and safety isn't a major concern for residents or tourists. But that doesn't mean you can roam the city without a care in the world. Be aware of common issues when traveling. For example:
- Pickpocketing: Crowded tourist destinations present an opportunity for pickpockets. Thus, when out and about, be mindful of your valuables.
- Adventure Risks: A wonderful boat trip can turn disastrous due to weather or mechanical problems with the vessel. Whatever you do in Hamburg, make sure you are following safety guidelines and taking precautions.
- Health Concerns: When on a vacation, don't forget to take care of your health. Dress appropriately for the current weather conditions in your destination, and be sure and pack any medications you take so that you have them with you when needed.
- Accidents and Injuries: Hamburg is a busy place with a growing population. Accidents can happen at crowded tourist locations and in public transport. Make sure you are aware of your surroundings and always alert.
Hamburg Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Germany has up-to-the-mark healthcare facilities. But these are affordable only for German nationals. As a tourist, even the slightest of medical issues can be quite expensive. It is best to buy travel medical insurance for your trip to Hamburg. This will make sure your insurer can help with the hefty bills while you recover.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Hamburg?
Yes and no. Travel medical insurance is not a legal requirement to enter Germany. However, Germany is a Schengen country, and you need to have insurance valid for the course of your trip and across the Schengen region to be able to apply for a Schengen visa if you are required to obtain one. If Hamburg is just one stop on your European vacation, you will need appropriate insurance.
Even if you don't need a Schengen visa due to your home country or country of citizenship having a visa waiver agreement with the Schengen countries, you would still want to have to coverage in place for medical evacuation, unexpected medical bills, and all the other benefits provided by the insurance.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Hamburg?
Travel medical insurance is recommended any time anyone is traveling outside of their home country. Medical emergencies can arrive anytime and anywhere—even while you are exploring Hamburg and having the time of your life. And when that happens, travel medical insurance will make sure that you are at least saved from the bulky hospital bills. You can get coverage for emergency medical expenses, emergency medical evacuation and repatriation, accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D), return of mortal remains, and more.
Hamburg Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Over 9,000 flights around the world get canceled every week. Now, we see no reason to assume that your flight to Hamburg cannot be a part of the statistics. If your flight gets canceled, it could come with major consequences. For one, your trip will be in jeopardy, and two, your finances will also bear the brunt. How can you spend the night in your reserved hotel room in Hamburg if you're stuck in a U.S. airport? All your prepaid expenses like onward journey bookings, accommodation advances, and tour booking costs could go waste. The only solution is trip cancellation insurance.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Hamburg?
Airline issues, weather concerns, government-imposed bans on travel, and several other personal/third-party reasons could stop you from taking the trip to Hamburg. Trip cancellation insurance can make sure that you are at least reimbursed for the prepaid, non-refundable expenses that you incurred while planning the trip—as long as you cancel for a reason covered under the policy. Be sure to thoroughly review your policy's certificate wording before purchase for a full understanding of what situations would or wouldn't be covered.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Hamburg?
What is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Hamburg depends on your plan. As a rule of thumb, plans that cost more offer more coverage. The different levels of coverage you can choose include:
Basic coverage: Lowest-priced plans fall in this category. They offer coverage only for situations when the trip is canceled from the third-party's end. It includes canceled flights, tours, and accommodation bookings.
Intermediate coverage: Most people prefer insurance Hamburg plans that fall under this category. It offers coverage for third-party cancellations as well as cancellations from your end. You can get reimbursements only if you cancel for any of the listed reasons.
Comprehensive coverage: The most comprehensive coverage is offered by "cancel for any reason" policies, which usually cost extra. No matter why you cannot take the trip, such a plan can offer financial compensation (within certain parameters).
Before You Travel to Hamburg: Do This
Hamburg claims to be one of the coolest cities in the world. A bold claim. But Hamburg does offer everything that you need to call the city "the coolest". And when the city offers so much, you better go prepared to have unprecedented fun. Here's what you should do before you travel to Hamburg:
Carry cash. There are plenty of bars, shops, and restaurants in Hamburg that won't accept online payments or cards. While you will never be too far from an ATM, it is best to carry cash.
Pack properly. Keep your documents, IDs, and cards in a safe pouch that you can carry on your person all the time. Also, if you are traveling in the winter months, don't forget umbrellas and raincoats or jackets.
Explore the insurance marketplace. Don't just buy the cheapest insurance that you can find. Analyze the possible risks that you might face in Hamburg. And then buy
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
that offers comprehensive coverage and complete mental peace.