Situated in the state of Colorado, Great Sand Dunes National Park and Preserve is home to the highest dunes in North America. The dunes shimmer in their golden aura during the sunrise. Also, you can enjoy a beautiful view of the sunset while standing on one of the towering dunes.
If you are looking for an unusual and unique travel experience, then a trip to Colorado’s Great Sand Dunes National Park can be your ideal getaway. Great Sand Dunes National Park is not only about experiencing the desert life, but also about watching the Milky Way at night. Also, you can spot some rare and unique wildlife species in this region of North America.
Read this guide until the end to know all necessary information about your trip, from fun activities to information about travel insurance plans. Make sure that you purchase a
visitors medical insurance or
to protect yourself from unnecessary surprise expenditures.
Great Sand Dunes National Park’s Most Popular Things To Do
- Hike to The Highest Dune in North America - Being the highest dune in North America, Star Dune offers a stunning view of the entire Great Sand Dunes National Park from its top. While standing on Star Dune, you can witness an incredible sunset or sunrise. Due to the shifting sands, elevation, and inclines, the climbing experience can be a bit tricky. However, the stunning view will be worth the difficult climb.
- Try Out Sandboarding or Sandsledding - You may be familiar with snowboarding, but what about sandboarding? It is one of the most enjoyable activities to pursue in this national park. You can rent out a snowboard at an affordable budget and go on an adventurous ride through the golden sands.
- Camp Under the Starry Sky - Overnight camping in the dunes can offer you a surreal experience. During the night time, particularly in summers, you can notice the Milky Way at its best. Does it not sound dreamy? Yes, a visit to Great Sand Dunes will offer you more than your expectations.
- Drive Through The Medano Pass Primitive Road - A long drive through the Medano Pass Primitive Road passes the scenic Medano Creek. Besides the exciting drive, you can also camp in one of the 21 nearby campsites of the creek without spending a single penny.
- Participate in the Ranger Program - Free ranger programs are arranged in this park on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays. You can take part in one of these programs and learn about the history and environment of this park from an expert. The ranger programs are ideal for travelers who want an interactive and knowledgeable experience.
Key Guidelines for Travelers in Great Sand Dunes National Park
- Be Aware of the Weather Conditions - Before visiting the Great Sand Dunes National Park, you should check out the weather conditions in advance. Sandstorms during spring can be quite dangerous if it occurs while you are exploring.
- Make Your Permits and Reservations in Advance - For camping in certain areas of the national park and special events like weddings, you must make reservations and obtain permission from the park authorities in advance.
- Take Care of Your Health - Due to the unpredictable weather and high altitude of the national park, you can experience altitude sickness or a number of other health conditions. Therefore, drinking a sufficient amount of water and taking necessary precautions are the most essential steps for a successful trip.
- Be Cautious of Insects and Animals - The Great Sand Dunes National Park is an eco-sensitive area which is home to several rare animal species. To maintain the safety of both the wild animals and travelers, you should be cautious and keep a proper distance from the wildlife. Also, mosquitoes or harmful insects can cause allergies and itchiness on your skin. Therefore, you should carry medicines and repellents to remain healthy.
- Book Travel Insurance Plans - You may encounter a medical emergency or an accident while you are travelling. To make sure you do not lose out money on hospital facilities, book a visitors medical insurance plan or a trip cancellation insurance plan.
Visitors Medical Insurance for Travelers in Great Sand Dunes National Park - FAQs
As you might have heard, healthcare can be very costly in the United States. Being out and surrounded by nature means that an accident or injury could happen at any time, and it might require medical care. If you seek treatment at a private hospital for something as minor as dehydration or a small injury, you might end up losing a serious amount of your money. To make sure that your travel budget is secure, book a visitors medical insurance plan.
Why buy visitors medical insurance before travelling to Great Sand Dunes National Park?
The Great Sand Dunes National Park experiences very hot but dry temperatures during summer. You may get dehydrated without even breaking a sweat, so you may not see it coming and would need to obtain medical care. The cost of medical care is expensive in the U.S., but you will still need it. To make sure that you can avail the best treatment without worrying about money, book a visitors medical insurance plan.
What should I look for in my Great Sand Dunes National Park visitors medical insurance?
Your visitors medical insurance plan should offer coverage for emergency medical evacuation.
The heat and altitude can potentially cause a flare up of a pre-existing condition, so if you or anyone in the group has one, you should look for a plan that includes acute onset of pre-existing conditions coverage.
Make sure that your visitors medical insurance plan has provisions to cover injuries suffered during adventurous activities.
Instead of spending a fortune at a private medical facility, buy visitors medical insurance so that you do not face a financial disaster after seeking medical care.
Trip Cancellation Insurance for Travelers in Great Sand Dunes National Park - FAQs
While travelling, you will spend a lot on transport and lodging, which will be pre-booked. No matter how much you plan, sometimes unexpected events occur that cause the trip to be cancelled. In case you need to cancel your trip, you will lose a huge sum of money. You can easily save yourself from this trouble by booking a trip cancellation insurance plan.
Why should I get trip cancellation insurance for my Great Sand Dunes National Park travel?
There are frequent sandstorms in the Great Sand Dunes National Park. Sometimes, the park remains closed to visitors due to these sandstorms. If the park remains closed during the time of your visit, you will need to cancel your trip. Book a trip cancellation insurance plan to avoid losing money due to cancellation issues. Read over the plan before buying to ensure your knowledge of what reasons are and are not covered under the plan.
What should I look for in my Great Sand Dunes National Park trip cancellation insurance?
A good trip cancellation insurance plan can offer the following benefits:
Once you a buy travel insurance plan, the insurance company can take care of all your emergency expenses provided the reason is listed and covered under the plan. Check your plan's certificate wording to make sure that it meets your requirements.
Before You Travel to Great Sand Dunes National Park - Do This
Are you ready to set out on your next great adventure? Before you go, consider these suggestions.
Wear clothes in layers. The Great Sand Dunes National Park experiences drastic temperature changes. Layer up to make sure that you do not feel stuffy or cold.
Wear sunscreen so that you do not risk burning your skin.
Prepare for the worst, and buy adequate travel insurance coverage so that you and your fellow travelers can enjoy a fun vacation without worrying about medical bills after an emergency.