Mumbai, formerly called Bombay, is the capital city of the Indian state of Maharashtra. This "City of Dreams" is the center of the globally-influential Hindi TV and movie industry.
With more than 21 million people, Mumbai is filled to the brim with culture and a lively vibe. It has a global city vibe that merges seamlessly with the local culture. There are uptown restaurants and malls that match international standards, as well as the busy bazaars that characterize India. Mumbai is also home to warm and welcoming people and a beautiful coastline. Mumbai simply has the best of everything you could have asked for.
Before you visit Mumbai, be sure to purchase
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
as a financial safety net against any unexpected accidents, illnesses, injuries, or travel mishaps.
Things to Do for Travelers in Mumbai
It might take tourists some time to get used to the hyperactive buzz of Mumbai. If you are open to a mix of global and local, Mumbai has a lot to offer you in terms of experiences. Here are some unique experiences that you shouldn't miss in Mumbai:
- Sunset at The Gateway of India or Marine Drive: After a day of exploring the city, spend a cool evening at the Gateway of India. Charter a boat to be away from the crowd. If you are with your partner and want to spend some romantic time alone, go to Marine Drive instead.
- Explore the Crawford Market: Probably the most famous market in the city, the Crawford Market is full of hidden treasures. It is a wonderland for experimental shoppers. Here, you'll find everything from spices and vegetables to delicious Pani Puri.
- Visit Sanjay Gandhi National Park: Just outside the main city is the protected and pristine Sanjay Gandhi National Park. The Shilonda waterfall, several species of flora and fauna, and the Kanheri Caves will leave you swooning for sure. Take a break from the city's hustle and bustle, and enjoy the natural beauty.
- Enjoy an evening at the Royal Opera House: The Royal Opera House is the last remaining open opera house in India. Spend an evening here and enjoy stellar performances.
- Savor the energy of faith at Haji Ali Dargah: If you want to see people's devotion towards the Almighty in the purest form, Haji Ali Dargah is the place to be. A mosque located on a small island in Worli Bay draws not just Muslim devotees but people from all faiths, a clear demonstration of Indian unity.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Mumbai
Mumbai is among the largest metropolitan regions in the world. With a city of its size, some inadvertent issues do creep in. In terms of safety for travelers and explorers, Mumbai is as safe as any other city of its size in the West. All you have to do is to stay cautious and aware. There are few dangers that cannot be averted with sheer common sense.
Here is what you should be aware of before visiting Mumbai:
- Dramatic Weather: Mumbai rains are infamous for bringing the city to a standstill. Keeping an eye on the weather forecast will make sure you know what to expect. Mosquito repellents and raincoats should find a place in your backpack. Also, don't forget the sunscreen, as the sun does get a little harsh during peak summers.
- Traffic and Transport Troubles: Overcrowded trains, especially during rush hour, are not an experience worth having. Book taxis from your hotel or through an app. Metered taxis and rickshaws are fine, as long as you have negotiated the price in advance.
- Petty Crime: Crowded public transport and busy marketplaces require you to be cautious. Flashing valuables and not keeping your possessions safe is an open invitation to pickpockets. Stay aware at all times.
- The Hassle of the Haggle: Haggling is a part of the local Indian culture, and it is best if you get used to it if you don't want to overpay. This is especially so when you are shopping from the local markets. However, remember to be respectful.
- Street Food: The street food in Mumbai is not always prepared in the most sanitary conditions. Only eat from places that you're sure are clean. It may be wise to also stick to bottled water.
Mumbai Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Medical emergencies can arise anytime. An upset stomach, infections, slip-and-fall accidents, and many other possible situations could force you to visit a hospital in Mumbai. The bills will do nothing but add to your worries and create pressure on your finances. Travel medical insurance could help save you from financial misery.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Mumbai?
You do not need travel medical insurance for Mumbai as an entry requirement. That does not mean it is not essential. Healthcare in Mumbai is expensive, especially if you seek services at private facilities.
Don't let bills overburden your finances while you struggle with poor health. Stay covered with Mumbai travel medical insurance, and enjoy your trip with a little more peace of mind.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Mumbai?
Mumbai undoubtedly has the best medical facilities in India. The public healthcare infrastructure needs to undergo a significant capacity enhancement before it will be able to serve the massive population. Overburdened facilities and long wait times can be an issue for travelers in Mumbai looking for immediate care. On the other hand, private healthcare facilities are far more expensive and will definitely dent your budget.
Buy travel medical insurance to mitigate the financial burden of medical emergencies in Mumbai without disturbing your finances. You can get coverage for services like emergency medical expenses, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation of remains, accidental death & dismemberment, the return of minor children, and more.
Mumbai Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Political issues, natural disasters, personal reasons, or the call of duty are just a few of the issues that can force you to cancel your Mumbai trip. No matter what compels you to cancel the trip, the financial loss could be huge. From travel tickets to hotel bookings and tour reservations, you've likely invested a good deal in your vacation before you leave. Save yourself from the added financial fury of trip cancellation, and get Mumbai trip cancellation insurance.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Mumbai?
Travel tickets and accommodation bookings make up the majority of your trip budget. When you have to cancel your trip to Mumbai, these prepaid, non-refundable expenses will go in vain. Such a financial burden just adds to the disappointment of not being able to visit and experience Mumbai.
If you buy travel insurance, you could save yourself from this monetary loss if you have to cancel within certain parameters.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Mumbai?
Mumbai travel insurance offers reimbursement for all the prepaid, non-refundable payments you made towards your Mumbai trip bookings if you have to cancel for a reason covered under the policy. This can include flight tickets, accommodation bookings, and even pre-booked tours. A list of reasons eligible for cancellation benefits is available in each plan's certificate wording. It is best to read the fine print on your policy for a full understanding of exactly what you're buying.
Beyond trip cancellation benefits, travel insurance can also include coverage for trip interruption for a covered reason, trip delay, baggage loss, missed connections, and more.
Before You Travel to Mumbai - Do This
Before you start exploring the City of Dreams, here's what you should do:
Budget time for delays in your itinerary. The traffic can delay you by more than a couple of minutes. It is best if you make a schedule that has ample time to accommodate inadvertent delays.
Pack things with care. From mosquito repellants to sunscreens and refillable water bottles, you should make sure you pack perfectly for your Mumbai trip. Keep an eye on the weather forecast to be able to decide what kind of clothes will be suitable. And remember, while Mumbai is open-minded, dress modestly to avoid unwanted attention.
Explore the insurance marketplace and find a
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
policy that offers the coverage you need for complete peace of mind. Don't think of insurance as an added expense. Enter some basic information about your trip and travelers, compare a wide variety of options, and select the plan that works best for your itinerary, your destination, and your budget.