Nestled between Madagascar and Mozambique in the Indian Ocean, Comoros is a beautiful country composed of three major islands. You would be enjoying not only the natural beauty of the country when you are there, but also get to experience a vibrant culture that brings together Arab and African elements. Traditional Islamic influences are to be seen everywhere, right down to a warm welcome and hospitality. Make sure you buy
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
before you take off for Comoros.
Things to Do for Travellers in Comoros
Comoros is also known as the Perfume Islands. The scent of cloves, vanilla, and other spices will accompany you everywhere. There are many sights to see here—beaches, rainforests, volcanic mountains, and more. Though the tourism infrastructure is not at its best, the scenic beauty more than makes up for it.
- Anjouan: Lovingly called “the pearl of Comoros,” this island is a slice of pure and unspoiled beauty. Spend some relaxing time on the beach or explore the old Arab plantations. The cool breeze brings with it the scent of cloves and ylang-ylang. You can also take a walk in the rainforests inland.
- Grande Comore: This is the largest and most developed island of the Comoros Islands. The thriving capital Moroni is also located on this island. The stunning, white, sun-kissed beaches and the lava deposits on them make for quite a sight. The island is also rich in vanilla, banana, and coconut plantations.
- Mount Karthala: Grande Comore also houses the world’s largest active volcano, Mount Karthala. At more than 7,500 feet (around 2,286 meters), this mountain is a spectacular sight to behold. Its last eruption was in 2005. You can hike up to the rim of the volcano in two days, but this climb is only for the able-bodied.
- Mount Ntingui: Take a trek up to the top of the 1,600-meter-high Mount Ntingui (around 5,249 feet). It will challenge you physically but will also be a most rewarding visual experience. Once you reach the top, the clouds will surround you and when they clear, you will get a breathtaking view of the four islands. You will also get to see a large number of exotic birds during your trek through the dense forests.
- Mayotte: The French still govern Mayotte, so it’s a slice of France in an African nation. This is the place to be if you want to indulge in some snorkeling, sailing, and diving. The azure sea and the white sands of the beaches make for some stunning visuals. And while you are there, don’t forget to check out some delectable French cuisine.
Travel Risks for International Travellers in Comoros
By and large, Comoros is a peaceful place with infrequent instances of violent crimes. However, they do occasionally happen. That’s why it is advisable to be aware of some of the risk factors that you might encounter on your trip to Comoros so that you can adopt the necessary precautions.
Tropical weather means your travel plans must account for sudden thunderstorms. These might cause travel and other disruptions. Keep this in mind if you are planning a trip during this time.
Do not carry too much cash or valuables with you, especially if you are traveling alone. It’s better that you stay in a group. Don’t visit secluded beach corners or the desolate parts of the town at night.
Comoros is a traditional country with a conservative outlook. So, refrain from wearing revealing clothes, even on beaches. You would draw unwanted – and possibly unwelcome – attention.
Mosquito-borne diseases are prevalent in Comoros. So, take proper vaccinations and carry the necessary medication and repellants with you. Also, drink only bottled water.
Jellyfish, sea urchins, and corals pose a threat to the swimmers. Pay heed to the warnings before venturing out into the sea.
Comoros Travel Medical Insurance for International Travellers – FAQs
You need to remember that the medical facilities in Comoros are very basic at best. You don’t know whether you will fall ill or suffer an injury while you are vacationing there. Getting treatment is also an expensive proposition. So, opt for travel medical insurance to protect your finances.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Comoros?
Nothing can be a bigger spoilsport than an accident or a sickness marring your vacation. As you have already seen, there are certain risks involved in your Comoros travel, and using private treatment facilities will cost you a lot of money. So, buy Comoros travel medical insurance before your trip to Comoros.
Comoros Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travellers – FAQs
Events outside of your control can force you to cancel your trip. These might be an illness or death of a close family member, workplace obligations, natural disasters or any other hazards at the destination, and so much more. Not only would your trip be cancelled, but you would also be at risk of losing all the money that you paid as advances for the trip.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Comoros?
You have already paid for the two-way flight tickets. You might also have made an advance to a tour operator at the destination, along with hotel bookings. You won’t get much of it back in the event of a cancellation. But the trip cancellation insurance can save you from the financial loss. If you cancel for a reason covered in the policy, you can get reimbursed for any pre-paid, non-refundable expenses for services that you won’t be able to enjoy.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Comoros?
The trip cancellation insurance policy will usually cover the most common causes of trip cancellation. To protect your finances, buy Comoros travel insurance, and before you buy it, reconfirm which reasons the policy covers.
Before You Travel to Comoros - Do This
You will have a wonderful time in Comoros, for sure. But before you leave, keep these simple tips in mind.
Keep soft-copy backups of all important travel documents.
Be sure to purchase a Comoros travel insurance policy. Enter some basic information about your trip, compare a wide variety of options, and purchase the plan that best fits the needs of your itinerary, your destination, and your budget.
Keep checking the travel advisories and the destination weather updates.