Like other vibrant cities around the world, Russia's former capital of Saint Petersburg enchants visitors with its colorful culture. Shopping, art, and magnificent churches make this Russian city one of the most incredible places for travelers to explore.
Not only Moscow, but also Saint Petersburg should be on your bucket list when you are planning for a trip to Russia. If you want to spend a happening vacation amidst a unique culture and savor delicious food items, then you can easily stay in Saint Petersburg for at least a week.
Before you travel to Saint Petersburg, give this article a thorough read to know all about things to do, travel tips, warnings, and information about appropriate insurance plans. Then, remember to purchase
travel medical insurance plan or
as a safety net against unexpected medical emergencies or travel mishaps.
Things To Do For Travelers in Saint Petersburg
A lively city like Saint Petersburg can offer versatile experiences for travelers to enjoy their vacation. Some of the top things that you must do during your time in the city include the following.
- Visit the Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood: Built by Tsar Alexander III, the Church of the Saviour on Spilled Blood is one of the most iconic buildings in Saint Petersburg. This 100-year-old church is also the place where Tsar Alexander III was murdered in 1881. Though the church's reconsecration never occurred after the Soviet government closed it, it now serves as a museum where you can marvel at splendid Russian architecture.
- Explore the Hermitage Museum: If you are interested in artwork, then the Hermitage Museum of Saint Petersburg will definitely make you spellbound with its aura. Being one of the oldest and largest museums in the world, it contains more than 1,500 rooms. The paintings of Van Gogh, Leonardo da Vinci, and many other renowned artists have been kept on display in this museum.
- Roam Around the Peter and Paul Fortress: The construction of St. Petersburg began from this very place. In 1703 AD, Tsar Peter started the construction of this huge fortress after establishing a little wooden hut here. Peter and Paul Cathedral's bell tower still serves as the highest building in Saint Petersburg. A visit to the fortress will give you detailed information about the origin of Saint Petersburg.
- Watch an Opera Show at the Mariinsky Theater: When you are in Saint Petersburg, you must see a live performance of Russian opera and ballet, and the Mariinsky Theater is the ideal place to do it. During your stay, you can easily book tickets for a show to witness the fine skill of Russian ballet dancers and the spectacular interior of the theater hall.
- Marvel at the Architectural Grandeur of Peterhof Palace: Founded by Tsar Peter, the Peterhof Palace will mesmerize you with its grand architecture. Especially the water gardens make you wonder about the subtle beauty of Russian artistry. Millions of tourists are attracted to Peterhof Palace every year, mostly because of its enormous cascade.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Saint Petersburg
Saint Petersburg is not a renowned tourist spot among western travelers due to many prevalent prejudices. However, not all of them are false. There are particular factors that you need to take care of during your visit to Saint Petersburg.
- Maintain Your Distance from Beggars and Gypsies: While wandering in the city of Saint Petersburg, you should try to maintain a safe distance from gypsy groups and beggars to keep your valuables secure. They often get hostile and try to extort money from tourists.
- Racism: It is unfortunate that racism is still an extremely prevalent issue in Saint Petersburg. Therefore, if you are of Asian or Black ethnicities, you must remember this factor during your trip. If you face an unpleasant situation, do not hesitate to call the police.
- Food Safety: Being an international traveler, you should not consume food items from random roadside food stalls. Such food items can cause food poisoning and stomach infections. However, to make your travel experience healthier and more comfortable, you should take general medicine and sign up for travel health insurance.
- Language Barrier: While coming to Russia from a foreign country, you can face a language barrier during your interaction with the locals. It creates a lot of confusion. Before traveling, learn some common phrases in Russian like "hello", "sorry", or "thank you". The fact that you are trying will make the locals act a lot warmer.
- Vendors at Street Markets: Though Saint Petersburg is a good place to shop for gorgeous souvenirs, you should avoid purchasing too many things from street markets. The vendors may rip you off by misusing your lack of knowledge about the price. Also, you will not have any guarantee of the item's quality. Sometimes, vendors even show aggression and force tourists to buy souvenirs.
Saint Petersburg Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
Nobody considers planning for a medical emergency before going on a much-awaited vacation. However, if one does happen, a travel medical insurance plan could save you from spending thousands of dollars on hospital bills.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Saint Petersburg?
Though a travel medical insurance plan is not officially mandatory, most Russian embassies will refuse to issue you a visa unless you get a travel medical insurance plan. Likewise, if your home country requires visiting Russian citizens to have travel medical insurance for entry, then Russia will require the same of you. Besides, purchasing one means that you could seek appropriate medical treatment if necessary without worrying about the cost.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Saint Petersburg?
The weather in Saint Petersburg tends to be quite cold throughout the year. You may catch a cold or have a fever, which might need clinical treatment.
Tap water in Saint Petersburg is not very safe. You may fall sick or get infected due to the quality of the water and end up in a hospital.
Public hospitals in Saint Petersburg are cheap, but they do not have adequate infrastructure. Private hospitals, though efficient, tend to cost a lot of money. Unless you have a travel medical insurance plan, your treatment may take a heavy toll on your budget.
It is impossible to prepare against all odds before traveling to Saint Petersburg. It is wiser to buy a travel medical insurance plan so that you have one less thing to worry about. You can get coverage for emergency medical expenses, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation of remains, and more.
Saint Petersburg Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
You are probably excited to the brim about your trip to Saint Petersburg and have every intention of following through on it. However, if an emergency does occur and you have to cancel your trip, you stand at the risk of losing a lot of money. To avoid this, book a trip cancellation insurance plan.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Saint Petersburg?
Trip cancellation insurance can reimburse the full amount of your prepaid, non-refundable expenses if you have to cancel your trip for a reason covered under the policy. A full list of covered reasons is available in your plan's certificate wording. Be sure to read this fine print carefully before purchase so you understand what situations would or wouldn't be covered. The most common reasons for cancellation, like getting sick before your trip, a family member getting sick or passing away, or work-related emergencies, are usually covered under most standard plans.
What all is covered under travel insurance for Saint Petersburg?
Trip cancellation insurance is just one benefit of travel insurance. Others include trip interruption coverage for a covered reason, trip delay coverage, missed connection coverage, and baggage loss or theft coverage.
There are an array of risks involved with international travel, no matter your destination. To make sure that you are well prepared, buy a travel insurance plan for peace of mind. Remember to check your policy's certificate wording for a full explanation of terms, conditions, and benefits.
Before You Travel to Saint Petersburg - Do This
You are almost ready to travel to Pune. Before you go, consider the following suggestions.
Do not pack light. Even if you are traveling in summer, carry a couple of winter garments to be safe.
To remain safe from water-borne diseases, consider drinking only bottled water.
Before traveling, buy a
travel medical insurance plan or a
travel insurance plan
so that you do not have to worry about money on your trip. Enter some basic information about your trip, compare your options, and select the plan that best meets your needs.