Brunei is tiny, safe, peaceful, and the richest country in Southeast Asia.
The country is governed by the Sharia Law but does not equally apply it to non-Muslims. So, don’t believe everything you read on the Internet: Brunei is the Abode of Peace, and you must visit it at least once in your lifetime.
As you prepare for your trip to Brunei, be sure to purchase
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
as coverage for any unforeseen illnesses, injuries, or accidents.
Things to Do for Travelers in Brunei
Clean, serene beaches and biodiverse rainforests are aplenty in Brunei. It is famous for its magnificent mosques and stunning architecture. There are several reasons Brunei must be on your must-visit list.
Here are the top experiences you mustn’t miss when in Brunei:
- Ulu Temburong National Park: This beautiful national park is nestled in the eastern part of Brunei; it is also known as the Green Jewel of Brunei. Ulu Temburong is the perfect spot for ecotourists and wildlife enthusiasts. The pristine rainforest houses exotic wild animals like rhinoceros, hornbills, and several swinging gibbon colonies.
- Tasek Merimbun Lake: An hour’s drive from Bandar Seri Begawan, this beautiful S-shaped lake is often overlooked. Sapphire-blue lake water interspersed with bright emerald green lilies surrounded by thick shiny rainforest makes it is a sight to behold. You have a choice between trekking or taking a boat trip around the lake and forests.
- Royal Regalia Museum: The museum houses the collection of gifts received by the Sultan of Brunei. From countless jewels to a giant chariot, the museum offers a glimpse into the classy and luxurious lifestyle of the King.
- Muara Beach: It is the prime location to watch Brunei’s famous sunset. The clean stretch of coastline is the perfect place to spend some quality time. Several benches and a jogging trail allow you the option to choose how you would like to spend time on this beautiful beach. Remember, Brunei follows conservative cultural values, and you must respect them by not showing up at the beach in your speedos or bikinis.
- Gadong Night Market: You must taste the local food sold in this night market. It opens every evening at 4 p.m., and the stalls sell authentic local dishes including fish and chicken. You must try the Nasi Katok, a Brunei-style fried chicken served with steamed rice and a spicy sauce.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Brunei
Brunei is a very safe country. However, you should keep safe at all times and don’t let yourself be caught off-guard.
Here are some potential risks that international vacationers may be exposed to in Brunei:
Travelers to Brunei are at high risk for food-borne, water-borne, and insect-borne infections. Avoid eating food if you're not certain about its freshness. Also, carry insect repellents and anti-allergens.
Red algae can bloom to dangerous levels in Brunei, leading to Red Tide warnings being issued by local authorities. Red Tide warnings include avoiding swimming in certain areas or eating certain types of seafood. If you are in Brunei during such events, strictly follow instructions issued by the authorities.
Dress appropriately in the country, and avoid showing an excessive amount of skin. You don't want to find yourself arguing with any unruly locals.
If you are in Brunei during the wet season, expect traffic jams, roadblocks, and trip cancellations. Stay safe, and keep your important documents dry and safe.
Smoking in public places is illegal in Brunei. It is also illegal to import alcohol and tobacco products above legal limits. Keep the paperwork ready to prove it’s legal if you are carrying alcohol with yourself.
Brunei Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Accidental injuries are unexpected, and if you ever need medical attention, you would have to pay all expenses out of your pocket.
The healthcare system in Brunei is reasonable, but for emergencies, patients are evacuated to Singapore or Australia. Medical evacuations without travel medical insurance can burn a hole in your pocket. Thus, buying travel medical insurance before you travel is a decision you will never regret.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Brunei?
No, Brunei travel medical insurance is not legally mandatory.
But you must buy travel medical insurance, as it could help take care of the medical bills if you ever need treatment in a foreign country.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Brunei?
Natural calamities, contracting diseases, and mishaps are possible risks when you travel to Brunei. When you buy travel medical insurance, you would have one thing less to worry about when you are in Brunei.
Buy Brunei travel medical insurance to enjoy a tension-free vacation with your loved ones.
Brunei Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
Trip cancellations are unforeseen events. A dear one falling ill or passing away may lead to you to have to cancel the trip. Also, due to natural calamities, political unrest, or other reasons, the destination country or another third party might cancel flights or hotel bookings.
With trip cancellation insurance, you will not be stressed about any vendor cancelling, because the insurance provider can reimburse you—as long as the reason for cancellation is included in the policy wording. Be sure to read the fine print to know which circumstances would and wouldn’t be covered.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Brunei?
Trip cancellation is an unforeseen event, and because bookings are made in advance, it could cause financial losses to you. Trip cancellation insurance can reimburse you for any prepaid, non-refundable expenses you put down in advance if the reason is covered under the policy. When you buy travel insurance, it can eliminate the stress of possible financial losses and frustrations caused due to trip cancellations.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Brunei?
Brunei travel insurance can cover:
Support in events of baggage loss and loss of passport
Trip delays and flight cancellations
Reimbursement for hotel bookings, cruise, and tours bookings if you cancel for a covered reason
Buying Brunei travel insurance for your trip can help eliminate the financial losses you may face in the case of trip cancellation for covered reasons.
Before You Travel to Brunei…
To enter Brunei, you need a return flight ticket, as well. Even if you are entering Brunei by ferry, you must buy a cheap flight ticket before you come into the country. So, if you haven’t booked a return ticket, do it now.
Pack mosquito repellent, insect repellent, and appropriate clothing.
Buy Brunei travel insurance and enjoy your trip with peace of mind. Compare a wide variety of options, and select the plan that best matches the needs of your itinerary and your budget.