Canyonlands National Park offers you the golden opportunity to explore the numerous canyons of North America. These colorful canyons have been formed by the great Colorado River and its tributaries. The course of the river has divided the national park into four separate districts – the Gliding Rivers, the Island in the Sky, the Maze, and the Needles.
Though the entire area is primarily a desert land, each part has different types of adventurous activities to offer. If you want to lose yourself in the beautiful desert, visit Canyonlands National Park. Before you go, read this article until the end to find out about top activities, travel tips, and information about travel insurance plans.
Before travelling to Canyonlands National Park, be sure to purchase a
visitors medical insurance plan or a
travel insurance plan
to ward off potentially expensive mishaps.
Canyonlands National Park’s Most Popular Things To Do
- Experience The Thrill Of Mountain Biking - Mountain Biking is one of the most enthralling activities that you cannot miss during your visit to Canyonlands National Park. The White Rim Road in Island in the Sky district and Elephant Hill Road in the Needles district are suitable routes to experience the thrill of mountain biking at its best. However, you should be a well experienced and careful rider for a safe ride on these roads.
- Gaze At The Starry Sky - Canyonlands National Park is located in a remote area where there is no sprawling urban area in the vicinity. So, if you are doing overnight camping in one of the backcountry campgrounds, you can experience the night sky in its utmost aura. Due to the lack of pollution and external lights, the stars remain visible and you can experience one of the most splendid nights of your life in this national park.
- Witness Incredible Views From Grand View Point - Just as the name indicates, the viewpoint offers the most stunning view of the landscape. Notably, the deep canyon formed by the Colorado River stretches widely in front of this viewpoint. An easy, short 2 mile (about 3.2 kilometer) trail will take you to this ultimate viewpoint.
- Visit The Mesa Arch - A short 0.5-mile (about 0.8-kilometer) round trail will take you to one of the most popular places of Canyonlands National Park, the Mesa Arch. The location is particularly famous among photographers. Also, if you want to witness a splendid sunrise, then there is no better spot in the park than this. It will take you around 30 minutes to cover the whole trail.
- Go To The Green River Overlook - Apart from the Colorado River, the Green River has also contributed to the formation of this canyon. A short, paved trail from Upheaval Dome Road will take you to the final viewpoint from where you will get a panoramic sight of the river.
Key Guidelines for Travelers in Canyonlands National Park
- Keep Yourself Hydrated - The dry atmosphere and scorching heat of Canyonlands National Park can badly affect your health. Also, the range of elevation in the park varies from 3,700 to 7,200 feet (about 1,127 to 2,195 meters) above sea level. Therefore, drinking plenty of water and applying good quality sunscreen is essential to protect yourself from heat exhaustion and high-altitude sickness.
- Be Aware Of The Weather - Though Canyonlands National Park is open for visitors during any time of the year, spring and fall are the most suitable seasons for a trip due to the relatively lower temperature. Summers can be too exhausting because of the late afternoon thunderstorms whereas winters are extremely chilly and snow-covered. Therefore, you should arrange your trip based on the season and check out current weather conditions to stay updated.
- Carry Maps - The hiking trails of Canyonlands National Park take you to remote locations. The national park area does not provide a strong internet connection. So, you should always carry print maps to avoid confusion and hassle.
- Be Cautious Of Wild Animals - Wild animals are often carriers of harmful diseases such as bubonic plague, rabies, and hantavirus. You can also encounter venomous creatures like scorpions, dwarf-faded rattlesnakes and black widow spiders in this area. Large Black Bears also inhabit the Needles District. Therefore, you should maintain enough distance from wild animals and carry pest-repellents for personal protection.
- Purchase Travel Insurance - Before starting your journey, book a visitors medical insurance plan or a trip cancellation insurance plan so that you do not end up spending money on mishaps.
Visitors Medical Insurance for Travelers in Canyonlands National Park - FAQs
You’re having a grand time in this national park when disaster strikes and you fall and sprain your ankle, or are bitten by a venomous spider. You would need to seek medical care for these injuries. Dealing with a medical emergency while you are travelling can be stressful. In the United States, the healthcare costs are so high that your hospital bill can mount up to an extraordinary amount, even if your condition is not severe. To make sure that you can avail the best treatment without worrying about medical emergencies, buy a visitors medical insurance plan.
Why buy visitors medical insurance before travelling to Canyonlands National Park?
Canyonlands National Park experiences extreme temperatures year-round. The high altitude of the Canyonlands does not help either. If you fall sick or get injured while exploring the park, you might need professional treatment. To make sure money does not hamper your recovery, book a visitors medical insurance plan.
What should I look for in my Canyonlands National Park visitors medical insurance?
Before you think twice about buying a visitors medical insurance plan, remember that it costs only a fraction of actual healthcare costs. Be cautious and buy a visitors medical insurance plan to prevent spending incredible amounts on medical emergencies.
Trip Cancellation Insurance for Travelers in Canyonlands National Park - FAQs
Travelling to a distant location involves months of planning and often you will need to make many bookings and reservations in advance. If you need to cancel your trip due to an emergency, you will be looking at a financial disaster. To prevent that, book a trip cancellation insurance plan.
Why should I get trip cancellation insurance for my Canyonlands National Park travel?
Canyonlands National Park frequently experiences floods and landslides. These calamities can cause the park to be sealed off to visitors. Your trip would be futile if your destination is closed. To make sure that you can cancel your trip without losing money, book a trip cancellation insurance plan. It is important to review the policy before purchase since coverage between plans can vary.
What should I look for in my Canyonlands National Park trip cancellation insurance?
Although coverages can vary from plan to plan, there are coverages that would be good to focus on while picking the correct policy for you and your trip. Some of these coverages include:
Once you buy a travel insurance plan, you do not have to worry about losing money on emergencies. Go through your plan's certificate wording carefully to check whether it covers everything you need or not.
Before You Travel to Canyonlands National Park - Do This
Before you set out for Canyonlands National Park, consider these suggestions:
Be careful of loose rocks while climbing so that you do not slip and fall.
Do not stray away from your group while hiking. Since network coverage is poor within the park, you might lose your way.
Before travelling, buy adequate travel insurance coverage so that you and your group can enjoy your next great adventure without worrying about finances.