Tehran is a buzzing metropolis. It represents every stratum of the Iranian society and is home to some of the most liberal crowds of Iran. In Tehran, you will be able to see dated buildings, museums, and palaces, as well as get to grasp the true essence of Iranian culture.
Before you travel to Iran, make sure that you give this article a thorough read. It will let you know what to do, places to visit, suggestions, warnings, and information about insurance plans. Then, purchase an appropriate
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
plan to protect you against unexpected accidents, illnesses, injuries, or travel mishaps.
Things to Do for Travelers in Tehran
- Shop at the Tehran Grand Bazaar: The Tehran Grand Bazaar is a maze-like structure with thousands of shops. You can shop for souvenirs, carpets, clothes, or jewelry. If you are interested in street photography, you will return from the Bazaar with quite a collection of wonderful photos.
- Explore the Golestan Palace: The Golestan Palace is one of the oldest structures in Tehran. It has been marked as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Besides being an architectural marvel, the Golestan Palace also has royal gardens where you can enjoy taking a walk.
- Visit the Former U.S. Embassy: During the reign of Reza Shah Pahlavi, the last Shah of Iran, a group of militant students occupied the U.S. Embassy and held a group of diplomats hostage for 444 days. Thus, the site marks a pivotal point in the history of Iran. Now, it has been converted into a museum with anti-American propaganda.
- Enjoy the Sunset from Tabi'at Bridge: The sunset from Tabi'at Bridge is beautiful. If you visit it on a clear day, you will be able to see the mountain ranges far away. This is the perfect place to end your sightseeing for a day.
- Holy Defense Museum: The Holy Defense Museum stores artifacts from the decade-long Iran-Iraq War. It stores real rockets and tanks and retells the story of the war that tore apart both countries.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Tehran
- Careful While Crossing the Road: Iran does have road and traffic rules, however, you will find that these are not always followed by drivers who reside there. Before you cross the street, look both ways to check if it is safe. Follow this tip even on streets with functional traffic lights.
- Earthquake Alerts: Iran experiences earthquakes almost every day, though you will barely feel them. However, sometimes there are severe earthquakes. If you find yourself in such a situation, carefully vacate the building so that you are not injured by falling debris.
- What to Wear: The local attire is more on the conservative side in Iran. Because of this, you may want to pack similar styles in case there are attire requirements in certain establishments.
- Keep Your Belongings Safe: Pickpocketing is a common crime in Tehran, particularly in public transport and the bazaar area. Make sure that you always keep an eye on your wallet and valuables while in such an area. If you are traveling with a backpack, it is a good idea to wear it in front of you while in crowded places.
- Keep Up with the News: You can never rule out the risk of terrorism and/or civil unrest in Tehran. Before you travel, check the news to see if any imminent dangers might take a violent turn.
Tehran Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
Nobody expects to end up in a hospital while on a trip. However, if a medical emergency does occur and you need to seek treatment at a private medical facility, you stand at the risk of losing a fortune. You can prevent this by booking a travel medical insurance plan.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Tehran?
It is not legally mandatory to buy a travel medical insurance plan before traveling to Iran. However, if you have one, you will be able to seek the best medical treatment without worrying about your budget.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Tehran?
Accidents, injuries, and illnesses are unpredictable. If there is an earthquake and you suffer from an injury, you may need professional treatment. Likewise, you may need emergency medical evacuation or repatriation if your health condition is serious. This level of treatment will be expensive unless you have a travel medical insurance plan.
There are too many risks to consider. To make sure that you do not suffer from huge financial losses, buy a travel medical insurance plan.
Tehran Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
Nobody wants to cancel an international trip, especially when you have already spent months planning and booking it. However, if an emergency occurs, you might need to cancel your trip. A trip cancellation insurance plan will protect you from unexpected cancellation charges.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Tehran?
Trip cancellation insurance can reimburse you the full amount of your prepaid, non-refundable expenses like airfare and hotel reservations if you have to cancel your trip for a reason explicitly listed in your policy's certificate wording. Be sure to review the fine print of your plan before purchase for a full understanding of what situations would and wouldn't be covered. They vary by plan, but rest assured that the most common reasons for cancellation (like falling ill before your trip, the death of an immediate family member, or a work-related emergency) are covered under most standard plans.
What all is covered under travel insurance for Tehran?
Check for the following benefits as you're reviewing travel insurance plans, and decide what coverage you think you'll need.
You can never be too careful. To make sure that you are protected from a financial catastrophe, buy a travel insurance plan.
Before You Travel to Tehran - Do This
You are almost ready to pack for your exotic vacation. Before you go, consider these suggestions.
Drink only bottled water so that you are safe from water-borne diseases.
If you are a female traveler, it is a wise idea to not travel unaccompanied.
Before you set off on your journey, buy a
travel medical insurance plan or a
travel insurance plan
so that you and your travel companions can enjoy your vacation with one less thing to worry about. Enter some basic information about your trip, compare your options, and pick the one that meets your needs best.