Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha together are a British Overseas Territory. The islands are located in the South Atlantic and were formed due to two major volcanic eruptions. The territory comprises Saint Helena, Ascension Island, and Tristan da Cunha archipelago, and also includes the Gough Island.
With a new constitution passed in 2009, the three islands were given equal status, while grouped under the Crown. The islands were first discovered by the Portuguese, who landed here because of its ample supply of fresh water.
English colonization began in 1657. Ever since, the population has become a mix of English, Portuguese, and also some Spanish. A fort was built here near about the time of the Restoration. Visiting this island will give you a glimpse of its interesting history. As you are planning your trip, make sure you buy
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
for any unexpected accidents, injuries, and illnesses that could occur.
Things to Do for Travelers in Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha
There are plenty of things to enjoy in the islands of Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha.
- A trip to Calshot Harbor: This is located on one of the most remote parts of the island, and it is probably one of the most remote harbors in the world. Getting here is difficult as the cruises are limited. However, all that effort to reach here is worth it because you are going to be awestruck by the splendid beauty of the place.
- Witnessing the diverse marine life: If you want to spot dolphins and sharks in their natural habitat, then the waters around these islands will give you the opportunity you crave. You can swim with the dolphins if you want, as they are present throughout the year. Humpback whales can be seen in the winters, while whale sharks are seen around the summertime.
- Hiking through woodlands: The interiors of the islands have stunning trails that wind through woodlands and meander through hills. You will seldom find such pleasant trails to walk on anywhere else. Be prepared to see many exotic species of birds and animals during your walks.
- Touring the Green Mountain National Park: This park is home to some of the rarest and most exotic birds and insects on the planet. The park also has many trails for hiking and there are ponds and caves which you can explore. The morning mist creates a dream sequence when you walk through the dewy greenery. Do not forget your camera when you visit.
- Visiting the Ascension Island Heritage Society Museum: If you want to find out more about the history of the region, then this museum should be your destination. There are lots of old photographs and documents depicting the arrivals of the Portuguese, Dutch, and finally the British.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha
Although the islands are very safe, here are some things to be careful about.
- Hurricanes: Being an island region, there is always the risk of cyclones and hurricanes hitting the islands. Check for any major warnings before you visit.
- Marine animals: The waters around the islands are abundant with marine life, so be careful about not disturbing them. Do not go too near the fish or sharks when you are snorkeling. Dolphins are very cheerful, and feel free to admire their beauty, but keep your distance at the same time.
- Diseases: While there has been no major disease outbreak, use mosquito repellents to protect yourself from mosquito bites. It is best to take all precautions, and you should also get vaccines to protect yourself.
- Petty thefts: The islands are pretty safe, and there are no major crimes of violence reported. However, don't be careless with your belongings. Try not to flash your cash, and do not leave your bags unattended on the beach, especially after dark. Just make sure your passport and documents are safe.
- Hiking accidents: While it is great to go for a hike on the islands, some areas can be very tricky because of the cliffs. These cliffs are high, and most of them have a sheer drop to the sea. Be careful about your footing if you plan on climbing high, and do not wander too far from the trail if you are new to the region.
Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
You can rest easy if you are injured or if you have fallen sick in a foreign country. A travel medical insurance plan can provide coverage in such scenarios.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha?
You should have a medical insurance plan before arriving in Saint Helena, as you have to provide the documents on arrival. It should also cover the cost of an emergency evacuation.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha?
Just in case you fall sick on the islands or if you are injured in any way, Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha travel medical insurance could cover the costs of treatment.
The medical facilities on the islands are not very good, and most of the hospitals and treatment centers do not have state-of-the-art facilities. If your condition is severe, then you might have to be evacuated, and your travel medical insurance plan must have those conditions to cover you.
Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
With trip cancellation insurance, your money can be protected if your trip to the islands is cancelled due to an approved reason listed in the policy. The insurance company can cover the costs instead.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha?
A Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha trip cancellation insurance plan is meant to protect your money if your paid trip to the islands is cancelled due to some covered reason by the policy. It could be due to the weather, a disease outbreak, or local issues. If your reason for cancellation is covered, you can receive reimbursement for any non-refundable, prepaid deposits you might have put down in preparation for your trip.
While your holiday plans are sure to be ruined, you at least would not have to pay from your pockets for a trip that you could not enjoy.
What all is covered under travel insurance for Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha?
Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha travel insurance can cover the following:
Loss of baggage
Flight delays and cancellations
Island tour cancellation
Cancellation of hotel booking
Scuba diving cancellation
Island cruise cancellation
Before You Travel to Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha - Do This
Stay updated about the local weather. Check if there are any major warnings about hurricanes and cyclones.
Make sure you are vaccinated for yellow fever, dengue, tetanus, and diphtheria. You might be asked for the documents on arrival.
Bring your own snorkeling equipment if you want to dive, because there aren’t many scuba diving rental shops in the region.
Transport on the island can be a problem, so make your bookings before your arrival. Taxis are sparse and it would be great if you can rent a private car through contact.
Get a travel insurance plan for Saint Helena, Ascension, and Tristan da Cunha so that you can go island hopping without having to worry about sudden expenses. Compare a wide variety of options, and select the one that best fits your needs.