Sweden is a fairy tale land, and Stockholm is its beautiful capital. Trust us when we say that you will not regret visiting this glorious city. Here in the city capital, you will find exciting architecture and dazzling scenery. But how does one make the best of their visit to Stockholm? We're glad you asked! Read on to know how you can have nothing short of an amazing experience in Stockholm.
As you're preparing for your trip, be sure to purchase
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
as a financial safeguard against unexpected accidents, illnesses, injuries, or travel mishaps.
Things to Do for Travelers in Stockholm
- Vasa Museum: This one should definitely be on your list of must-see places. The Vasa Museum is a maritime museum. It displays many artifacts and relics that will give you an insight into the history of Sweden. Among its many wondrous attractions, be sure not to miss out on the Vasa Battleship. The Vasa was a sunken warship that was lifted to the surface after almost 350 years. It was then restored to its original magnificence once again. For a more immersive and educating experience, you can book tours in this museum.
- Drottningholm Palace: The Drottningholm Palace is home to the Swedish Royal Family. It is also a popular tourist destination. Visit this palace for its lavish and royal architecture, as well as the lush and opulent gardens that make up the area surrounding the palace. The palace is ranked in the top three UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Stockholm.
- Skansen: Now, when we tell you that the Skansen is yet another museum, you might get bored and skip over to the next point. Who wants to visit another museum? We promise this is one you will want to visit. The Skansen is an open-air museum, and the world's first one at that. Take a peek into life in Sweden before the Industrial Age, and enjoy the rustic scenery it has to offer.
- Gamla Stan: Gorgeous and artistic, the Stockholm Old Town is a must-visit. Here, you can experience Sweden in all its authentic glory. The tiny, winding streets of this town have a homey feeling to them. These lanes will transport you back to medieval times. This town is cozy and definitely picturesque. It also has many cafés and restaurants that you need to try.
- Royal National City Park: The city park is the perfect place to unwind. Find peace among the beautiful nature here. Surround yourself with tranquil trees and calming lakes. This park is a paradise for nature lovers. You should head here when you're tired of the cityscape and want to connect a bit with nature. Roam around and absorb the beautiful scenery. There are also many castles and theatres here as well as museums so you will have a variety of sightseeing options while visiting.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Stockholm
- Petty Crime: Sweden is, in general, a very safe country. But the idea that foreign tourists are immune to crime in Stockholm is false. Petty crime, such as pickpocketing, is pretty common in popular tourist destinations. Stockholm's Old Town is infamous for its pickpockets. Stay on your guard at restaurants and cafés. To be on the safe side, carry a slash-proof purse with you. Or, if you're carrying a backpack, secure it with a lock.
- Cold: Sweden is cold – very cold! The temperatures here can drop to almost -22 degrees Fahrenheit (about -30 degrees Celsius). Such extreme temperatures can be harmful to the human body, specifically the increased risk of hypothermia and heart problems. So, make sure to clad yourself in warm clothes. Wear thermals, mufflers, and gloves.
- The Winter Season: The winters in Sweden are cold—and, as a result, dark. So, Sweden can get quite gloomy. Citizens and tourists alike complain about feeling sad and melancholy in Sweden. Problems such as depression and anxiety are quite common in Sweden. So take care of your mental health while you are in Sweden. Prolonged periods of dark and dismal days can take a toll on even the happiest of people.
Stockholm Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Excessive cold, the dangers of a large urban area, and cigarette smoke. Traveling to Stockholm doesn't come without its risks. To secure your healthcare in Stockholm, buy travel medical insurance.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Stockholm?
Yes. If you're traveling to Sweden, you'll need to show proof of purchase of appropriate travel medical insurance.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Stockholm?
Illnesses, accidents, and injuries are unpredictable. Add that to needing medical treatment in a foreign country, and you could find yourself quickly overwhelmed. What will happen to your life savings if a medical calamity were to befall you in Stockholm? Travel medical insurance can help provide coverage for emergency medical treatment you might need during your time in Sweden. Additionally, check for benefits like:
We have already seen that the risks are massive. So, make the right choice, and buy travel medical insurance.
Stockholm Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Trip cancellations can leave you frustrated—and what's worse, financially burdened. You might have already reserved and paid for your plane tickets, hotel reservations, tour tickets, and more. For a chance at seeing some of that money again, consider purchasing trip cancellation insurance
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Stockholm?
Trip cancellation insurance can reimburse you the full amount of your non-refundable, prepaid expenses if you have to cancel your trip for a reason included in the policy. Review your plan's fine print carefully before purchase for a full understanding of the situations that would or wouldn't be covered.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Stockholm?
Now you want to buy trip cancellation insurance – but don't know what all is (or could be) included.
For starters, make sure your plan contains trip cancellation and trip interruption coverage. You can also look for benefits like coverage for loss of baggage, emergency medical evacuation, and travel delays.
If you want to travel without a worry on your mind, buy travel insurance. Make your trip to Stockholm a trip to remember by preparing for every eventuality.
Before You Travel to Stockholm - Do This
Learn a few Swedish phrases that may come in handy when traveling. Also, book your tours. The museums of Stockholm are better enjoyed when you have a guide. They'll tell you about the various artifacts and objects you view.
Be sure to purchase appropriate
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
coverage. This one is a must! Don't skip out on it – for you are sure to regret your choice if you meet with a medical calamity or cancellation.