Travelers tend to visit the big busy city of Mumbai or the party capital of Goa. However, if you are a true explorer at heart, then you cannot miss another nearby city—Pune. Surrounded by the majestic hills of Western Ghats, Pune is a well-developed Indian city that offers you natural beauty, historically significant places, and delicious local cuisine.
Latch on to any opportunity in Pune to experience the Konkani culture. The pristine lakes, cloudy hills, cave temples, and historic fort establish Pune as one of the most ideal tourist cities in India that needs your attention.
Before traveling, read this guide till the end to learn all about things to do, travel tips, warnings, and information about travel insurance plans. Then, be sure to purchase
travel medical insurance or
as protection against unexpected accidents, illnesses, injuries, or travel mishaps.
Things to Do for Travelers in Pune
- Visit the Shaniwar Wada: Shaniwar Wada used to be the seat of the Maratha Empire until the advent of British colonialism in India. Though the major portion of the fort was destroyed in 1828, you can still see the remaining magnificent building to get a glimpse of the lost glory.
- Explore the Royal Aga Khan Palace: The Aga Khan Palace is one of the must-visit places in Pune and was established by Sultan Aga Khan in 1892. Once, Mahatma Gandhi stayed in this majestic palace for quite some time. And now, the place serves as a memorial and museum preserving his belongings.
- Indulge in Natural Beauty at Khadakwasla Dam: If you want to avoid the hustle and bustle of Central Pune and relax in the lap of nature, then you can head to Khadakwasla Dam across the Mutha River. Witnessing the sunset or sunrise here is truly a memorable experience. The place is also ideal for clicking some beautiful images.
- Trek to Sinhagad Fort: The Sinhagad Fort on Sahyadri Mountains serves as one of the primary landmarks in Pune that amaze travelers with their ancient charms. Since it's located at a high altitude, you must trek the hilly terrain of the Sahyadri Mountains to reach this 2,000-year-old fort.
- Sip a Cup of Famous Tandoori Chai: If you are a tea-person or interested in trying the local cuisines of Pune, you should not ignore the unique Tandoori Chai, which is freshly brewed and served in earthen cups. Just opposite the Zensar building in the opposite of Kharadi, you will find the oldest shop in Pune, selling Tandoori Chai.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Pune
Though Pune is generally considered to be a safe place for travel, you never know what can happen when you are not well acquainted with the place and its surroundings. Therefore, you must be aware of certain things during your Pune trip.
- Be Attentive While Hiring Rickshaws and Cars: While hiring rickshaws or cars to travel around Pune, you must be careful enough that the driver cannot make you pay an excessive fare. It is better to consult a local regarding the fare to avoid being fooled as a tourist.
- Look After Your Belongings: Like any other urban area, Pune also has regular cases of theft and robbery. So, it is necessary to keep an eye on your precious belongings like cash, credit or debit cards, and passports in crowded areas. Also, you must keep the door and windows of your hotel room well-locked when you are going outside.
- Avoid Eating Food from Random Eateries: If you are a foreign tourist, then it will take time for your stomach to adjust to the style of cooked food in Pune. Therefore, it is wise not to eat at roadside stands or to order spicy food items to avoid stomach infection or food poisoning.
- The Climate of Pune: Pune receives rain throughout the year, and the quality of bright sunlight is very poor. So, as an international traveler, you may come down with a cough, cold, or slight fever with the changing climate. It is essential to carry basic medicines and travel health insurance to be on the safe side.
- Don't Have Too Much Booze: Excessive drinking is frowned upon in India. Make sure that you limit your alcohol intake to three drinks while you are outside your hotel.
Pune Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
You may think that the chance of a medical emergency is unlikely while you are on a trip. But, as the old saying goes, it is better to be safe than sorry. To make sure that you can seek quality medical treatment without undue worry about the money, buy a travel medical insurance plan.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Pune?
It is not legally mandatory to buy a travel medical insurance plan before traveling to Pune, but doing so could help you not have to worry about spending a fortune on medical emergencies.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Pune?
Pune experiences a warm and humid climate throughout the year. If you do not adapt well to the Indian heat, you may fall sick and need treatment.
Vector-borne diseases such as dengue and malaria are common in India. If you fall sick, treatment at a private medical facility is going to cost you a lot.
You may suffer from food poisoning due to unfamiliar or improperly prepared food and need professional treatment.
There are multiple health risks involved. Be prepared, and buy a travel medical insurance plan. You could receive coverage for emergency medical expenses, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation of remains, accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D), and more.
Pune Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
You must be excited about your trip to Pune and probably have no intention of cancelling it. However, if an emergency occurs and you do have to cancel your trip, you could very well lose a lot of money due to cancellation charges. To try to avoid this, buy a trip cancellation insurance plan.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Pune?
Pune often experiences floods that can devastate the city. If you see an alert for a flood before traveling to Pune, your flight or portions of your itinerary could be canceled. You may also have a personal or professional emergency. Trip cancellation insurance can reimburse you the full amount of your prepaid, non-refundable expenses if you have to cancel your trip for a reason listed in your policy's certificate wording. Be sure to check this fine print (before purchase!) for a full explanation of the benefits, terms, and conditions of the policy.
What all is covered under travel insurance for Pune?
Trip cancellation insurance is only one facet of travel insurance. You can also get other benefits like trip interruption insurance for a covered reason, trip delay coverage, missed connection coverage, baggage loss coverage, and more.
There are too many risks involved. Do not take any chances. Buy a travel insurance plan so that you and your travel companions can enjoy your trip with one less thing to worry about.
Before You Travel to Pune: Do This
You are almost ready to travel to Pune. Before you go, consider the following suggestions.
Always carry hand sanitizer. Many eateries do not have cutlery, and you might have to eat with your hands. To make sure that you are safe from germs, keep your hands sanitized.
Check the weather report from a trusted government site before traveling so that you know of upcoming dangers in advance.
Before you go, book a
travel medical insurance plan or a
travel insurance plan
so that you and your group can enjoy a fun and carefree vacation. Enter some basic information about your trip and travelers, compare a wide variety of options, and select the plan that best matches your travel itinerary, budget, and destination.