Anyone who has ever visited the tiny nation of Laos will vouch that it is truly a hidden paradise on Earth. From its vast swaths of thick forests, to the pristine river beaches, to the delicious cuisine, Laos is the place to go for a once-in-a-lifetime vacation experience. There’s something for all tastes here—luxurious resorts, adventure sports, and relaxing scenery. It is the ideal place to escape your daily life and live in the lap of nature.
Before you take off for this haven of a country, be sure to purchase
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
to be prepared in case of any unexpected accidents, illnesses, or injuries that occur during your trip.
Things to Do for Travelers in Laos
There are hundreds of things you can do on a trip to Laos, but here are some popular (as well as off-the-beaten-track) activities you must do there:
- Boat ride through Kong Lor Cave: The limestone rock formations of Kong Lor Cave in the south of Laos are one of the many natural wonders of South Asia. Take a boat ride through the placid waters, and pass through centuries-old cave structures. Plunged in complete darkness, this ride is an experience to remember.
- Kuang Si Waterfalls: Bright blue skies, fresh bubbling water, deep green jungles—what else do you want? This three-tiered waterfall deep in the Laos jungle is a little oasis of natural beauty. You can take a dip in the refreshing water of the river and even dive off from designated spots.
- That Kuang Si Bear Rescue Center: Watch dozens of furry black bears frolic and play around in their natural environment at the That Kuang Si Bear Rescue Center. They are safe here from poachers and hunters, and the best part is that visitors get to observe them in the open enclosures without posing any risk to the endangered animals.
- Plain of Jars: Spread across the Laos Highlands in the Xieng Khouang area are hundreds of large, stone jar structures. These have been studied extensively by archaeologists and historians to determine their purpose and origin, but they still remain one of Laos’ greatest mysteries. Who built them? What were they used for? No one really knows.
- Pak Ou’s Caves: These cave formations dot the shore of the Mekong River and are filled with numerous statues of the Buddha. You have to climb a steep rock face to reach right up to the top, but the view from the temple site is to kill for. We also recommend that you go with a local guide to learn about all the local myths and stories associated with the caves.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Laos
Keep these crucial pointers in mind while you plan your vacation in Laos. It is always good to be aware of the potential risks you might encounter.
- Insect-borne diseases: Insect-borne diseases are possible in the rural parts of Laos. Get a vaccination shot before you travel, and take adequate precautions.
- Water-borne diseases: Drinking unpurified water or consuming contaminated food can cause issues. Always make sure to check for clean water.
- Adventure activities: Whenever you participate in activities like boating, diving, hiking, or camping, use the services of a registered company. This is important because unlicensed service providers might not follow safety precautions all the time.
- Petty crime: Be very vigilant in crowded or tourist-filled areas to avoid petty crime like purse-snatching and theft.
Laos Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
These pointers will help you plan for some of the most important aspects of your trip to Laos.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Laos?
Having health insurance is a must for traveling abroad, for your own peace of mind as well as for dealing with emergency situations.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Laos?
Laos is a lovely destination for a vacation. But do not venture out there without adequate vacation insurance—that is, a plan that can cover all the health and medical risks you might face. Otherwise, paying for medical treatment in a foreign country will be expensive and stressful.
There are many risks you could face on your trip, and these risks are compounded if you engage in any adventurous activities. So, buying a Laos travel medical insurance plan is highly recommended.
Laos requires all foreign citizens entering Laos purchase travel medical insurance that covers COVID-19.
Laos Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
It can happen to anyone - you have your whole trip planned out, but your flight gets canceled at the last minute. What do you do?
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Laos?
The best solution to plan against last-minute flight cancellations is to have a travel insurance plan that can cover this risk. This way you can save yourself the financial risk of a canceled trip with travel insurance and receive reimbursement for your prepaid, non-refundable expenses—if you cancel for a reason covered under your policy.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Laos?
Insurance plans can differ from company to company, so be sure to read the fine print. However, most cancellation insurance packages can cover the risk of flight cancellation by the airline. There are also plans that can partially or fully cover the case of the cancellation done from your end. Again, any reasons covered in the certificate wording of your plan are eligible for benefits.
Check with your insurance service provider for the details of their policy.
Before You Travel to Laos…
- Be well prepared for the wilderness: We suggest bringing along your hiking boots, backpack, and sturdy clothes.
- Get vaccination shots for insect-borne diseases like malaria, dengue, and Zika virus.
- Read up about the socio-political situation of the regions you plan to visit, because some areas of Laos occasionally tend to have political instability and unrest.
- Cover your risks with a dependable Laos travel insurance plan. Enter some basic trip information, compare a wide variety of plans, and pick the one that best matches the needs of your itinerary and your budget.