Hyderabad, often called the City of Nawabs, is as famous for its delectable cuisine as it is for diamonds, pearls, and technology.
A part of the city is called Cyberabad (meaning Cyber City). And there are special types of kebabs and biryani named after the city.
You'll find modern hospitality, a skyline dotted with malls, and a matching metropolitan vibe on the one hand; and centuries-old forts and museums that still have the essence of history alive on the other. Also, you won't miss observing the seamless blend of Hindu and Muslim cultures when in the city.
Before you leave for Hyderabad, remember to purchase
travel medical insurance plan or a
travel insurance plan
as protection against any unexpected accidents, illnesses, injuries, or mishaps.
Things to Do For Travelers in Hyderabad
From diamonds to bangles, pearls, silks, handicrafts, and even computer software, there is a lot that you can take home from the markets of Hyderabad. But, more valuable than anything that can be bought with money is the experience that you'll have in this city of the Nawabs.
You can start out by exploring the cuisine of the city. And once you have had the privilege of filling your stomach with the best of mutton and chicken dishes, you can set out to explore the unique modern Nawabi culture of the city.
- Visit Charminar and the Nearby Market: Charminar is the most iconic monument in Hyderabad. Other than exploring this 16th-century mosque, you can also spend some time shopping at the local market surrounding the monument.
- Marvel at the Many Museums: Museums in Hyderabad house historical treasures, but that's not all. The museum premises are architectural wonders in themselves. Visit the 200-year-old Chowmahallah Palace and the Purani Haveli to get a hint of how the Nizams lived. And visit the Salar Jung Museum for an outstanding display of art and antiques.
- Spend Half a Day at the Golconda Fort: The Golconda Fort has a long and interesting history. Book a half-day guided tour, or go without one to explore it at your own pace. Also, you can enjoy a light and sound show narrating the fort's history in the evening.
- Get Enchanted by the Colorful Mosaics at Badshahi Ashurkhana: Badshahi Ashurkhana is a one-of-a-kind royal house of mourning for Shia Muslims. And it is most famous for its colorful tile mosaics. Visit Badshahi Ashurkhana, learn a little about Shia Muslims' cultural traditions, and get enchanted by the beauty of the place.
- Spend Some Time at the Hussain Sagar Lake: Hussain Sagar is a manmade lake, built in 1562, that separates the twin cities of Hyderabad and Secunderabad. Once the primary source of water for Hyderabad, the lake is a popular sailing spot today. A Buddha statue stands in the middle of the lake, and 30-minute boat trips to the statue and back are available.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Hyderabad
The local Hyderabadi crowd is welcoming and accommodating. And Hyderabad is among the safest metropolitan cities in India. While there is nothing in particular that tourists should be worried about, some basic travel risks that you might encounter (and how to minimize the risk) are mentioned below:
- Roadside Rip-off: You'll find a lot of expensive stuff being sold at throwaway prices on the pavements in Hyderabad. Even if the Nike shoes you are getting for half the price look authentic, they aren't real. They are just very accurate copies. Be very careful when you shop from the roadside if you don't want to be ripped off.
- Mischievous Monkeys: You'll find plenty of monkeys in Hyderabad, and they mean no harm. You can feed them directly if you like, which they will sincerely be thankful for. However, keep in mind that if you are walking and you flash anything edible or are carrying an open container of food, they might run up to you, grab your food, and run. While the risk of injury is low, you should just be aware and cautious of this possible type of encounter.
- Keep your Eyes on the Road: Whether you are walking or driving, keep your eyes on the road. Indian traffic isn't the easiest to navigate through. And your best option is to hire a cab for transport. If you are walking, make sure you are very careful.
- Dress Right: Hyderabad is a modern city, but you still want to take into consideration traditional ways of dressing and what is considered appropriate attire. When you visit temples or mosques, you are expected to dress in covered, conservative clothing as a mark of respect to the culture and deity, so pack accordingly.
- Food and Water Concerns: It's better to opt for bottled water and eat only from the places that you are sure about, or that seem like popular spots with frequent patrons. Also, keep in mind that not every spice or ingredient that goes into Indian food is suitable for delicate stomachs. Make sure you do not mistakenly consume anything that you are allergic to, or something that you do not feel comfortable consuming, especially foods that contain higher amounts of spice.
Hyderabad Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Hyderabad is getting increasingly famous for its state-of-the-art medical facilities. There has also been an increase in medical tourism in the city. This means that in case of a medical emergency, you can expect appropriate care and treatment in Hyderabad. But that doesn't mean it won't leave you with hefty bills. If you need medical evacuation to bigger cities like Delhi or Mumbai or want to be repatriated back to your homeland for treatment, you'll have to pay more. In the absence of insurance coverage in Hyderabad, medical expenses can quickly become overwhelming. Travel medical insurance can help you cover these costs.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Hyderabad?
Legally? No. Logically? Yes. You do not need to have travel medical insurance as an entry requirement for Hyderabad, India. But that doesn't reduce the need for proper coverage. If you fall ill or get hurt on your trip, you won't be able to enjoy your time in Hyderabad. And if you aren't insured, you will also have to pay considerable sums in hospital bills. While the former isn't under your control, you can save yourself from the bills by spending just a small portion of your trip budget on adequate health insurance.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Hyderabad?
Good health is your biggest wealth. And health issues can also cause the deepest of dents on your financial situation. When you are enjoying your time in Hyderabad, you do not want to be constantly worried about getting sick or hurt. When you buy travel medical insurance, you get the peace of mind that you are covered for at least the financial trouble that comes with ill health. You can get coverage for emergency medical expenses, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation, return of mortal remains, and more.
Hyderabad Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
There is a long list of reasons why your trip could get canceled. You might have to cancel your trip due to personal or professional reasons. Your flight could get canceled. Your tour operator could shut down. Whatever the reason, you will have to bear the financial brunt. Flight cancellation charges, tour cancellation penalties, and non-refundable pre-booking payments are an unwanted financial burden. Your bank balance will go down, and so will your spirits. Trip cancellation insurance covering your trip to Hyderabad could help save you from such monetary misery.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Hyderabad?
Uncertainty is a fact of life, but that does not mean you cannot stay prepared. Hope that your trip doesn't get canceled and nothing comes in between Hyderabadi delicacies and you. But, if life gets in the way, you can get reimbursed for your prepaid, non-refundable expenses if you have to cancel your trip for a reason covered under the policy. You can check your plan's certificate wording for a full list of reasons eligible for trip cancellation coverage.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Hyderabad?
The insurance policy certificate wording will be able to give you the most accurate answer to what is covered under trip cancellation for Hyderabad.
To give you a general idea, a trip canceled due to a hurricane is covered, but not when you schedule your trip right when the hurricane is expected to strike.
Also, some policy providers cover cancellations from your end. Others offer coverage for only third-party cancellations. Do not hesitate to ask your policy provider to spell out the details for you.
Before You Travel to Hyderabad: Do This
Before you get ready to explore Hyderabad, here's what you should do:
Download a few apps. Uber for an easy commute, Zomato to find and book nearby restaurants and order food, and Google Maps to make sure you don't get lost. These three apps will make sure you have a fun, no-fuss time in Hyderabad.
Chalk out your plan. Ensure you have a proper itinerary planned so that there is no confusion and you don't spend time finding what to do. Also, budget a little time for traffic delays.
Finally, be sure to buy adequate
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
. But don't buy the first policy you find, nor the most expensive one, nor the cheapest. Explore the marketplace first. And then make sure you have a policy that offers coverage that gives you the most peace of mind.