J1 visa Participants and any J-2 dependents (spouses and minor children -- children under the age 21) accompanying them are required to carry medical insurance at the minimum benefit levels stated in the program regulations. Program sponsors are required to ensure that all participants have the appropriate medical insurance. They will verify that the participant's medical insurance meets the regulatory requirements, and will facilitate the purchase of coverage to participants who do not have their own insurance, or whose coverage does not meet the requirements. Participants interested in obtaining appropriate medical insurance should contact the responsible officer of the organization sponsoring their program. Willful failure on the part of the participant and/or any J-2 dependents to maintain active insurance coverage is grounds for termination from the program.
AU Pair is sponsored using a J1 visa and therefore has same insurance requirements.Exchange Visitor, Scholar, AU Pair Insurance
J1/J2 visa insurance requirements
Each J visa holder must purchase insurance that meets the following minimum requirements:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
Sponsors require that their participants (and any dependents entering the United States as holders of a J-2 visa) have insurance in effect during the period of time they are in the sponsor's program.
An insurance policy secured to meet the benefits requirements must be underwritten by an insurance corporation with
- an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above,
- an Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-I" or above,
- a McGraw Hill Financial/Standard and Poor's Claims Paying Ability rating of "A-" or above,
- or a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of B+ or above.
- or a Fitch Ratings, Inc. rating of "A-" or above;
- or a Moddy's Investor Services rating of "A3" or above;
Alternatively, the sponsor may ascertain that the participant's policy is backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country.J1 Visa Exchange Visitors Insurance
If your sponsoring institution has any additional requirements for J-1 visa compliant insurance, please make sure to read the compliance form instructions before buying any insurance.