San Francisco, or SFO, is a city unlike any other. Every year, more than 25 million visitors from around the world visit this beautiful “City by the Bay”. No wonder it is also known as “Everyone’s Favorite City”.
San Francisco is a melting point of different cultures from around the world. Take a stroll down San Francisco to experience a little bit of China, Japan, India, France, Italy, Vietnam, and Mexico.
Along with an active sports scene, SFO offers you the best of theatre, ballet, opera, performing arts, and musical symphonies.
If visiting San Francisco has been on your bucket list, buy
travel insurance or
visitors medical insurance
, and plan a vacation of adventure and enjoyment in the city. Secure your Californian experience with insurance, because that’s how smart folks enjoy peace of mind amidst the uncertainties of travel.
San Francisco’s Most Popular Places for Travel
Most of San Francisco’s tourist attractions are open throughout the year. Whether you are an international traveler, an American, or even a local Californian, there is so much to do in San Francisco.
Here’s our list of special list of “Things to Do” to enjoy your visit to the fullest:
- Walking Tours of San Francisco: Walking tours of San Francisco are one of the most popular ways of experiencing the cultural exuberance of the city. View the stunning vistas, taste the diverse culinary flavors, and experience different communities of this lovely city. Don’t forget to walk down Lombard Street—popularly known as the “most crooked street of the world.”
- Ride the Cable Car: San Francisco’s famed cable car is one of the most iconic ways to go up and down the city’s steep hills. The Powell/Hyde Cable Car Route is hugely popular. It connects two of San Francisco’s most popular tourist attractions—Union Square and Fisherman’s Wharf.
- Kayak by the Bay: San Francisco’s skyline is one of the most gorgeous in the world. The panoramic view of the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz Island, the towering Transamerica Pyramid, and the Salesforce Tower are indelible parts of a sight to remember. The best way to see it is by enjoying a kayak or canoe ride in the calm waters of San Francisco Bay.
- Enjoy the Sunset Cruise: One of the most enchanting ways to soak in the Californian sun is by enjoying a breath-taking sunset ride on a beautiful catamaran. Catch the beautiful San Francisco skyline in the radiant hues of the setting sun, and see the beauty of “The Golden City” with millions of lights in the twilight sky.
- Travel Across the Golden Gate Bridge: No trip to San Francisco can be complete without crossing the iconic Golden Gate Bridge. Walk, bike, or drive down the 1.7-mile (almost 2.75-kilometer) “Most Photographed Bridge in the World” to complete your San Francisco experience.
Key Guidelines for Travelers in San Francisco
- Earthquake Risk: San Francisco lies near the San Andreas Fault and the Hayward-Rodgers Creek fault systems. The city experiences mild earthquake jolts a few times a year. Tourists should be aware of earthquake safety and evacuation procedures to mitigate earthquake risk during their stay.
- Fog: San Francisco is known as “The Fog City” due to the common foggy weather in San Francisco, especially during the summer season. The entire Bay area is often enveloped by a thick layer of fog, often leading to flight delays and cancellations.
- Traffic caution: Like any big city’s downtown area, San Francisco experiences its share of rash driving and traffic-related hazards. Visitors who may be distracted by tourist sights and attractions are more susceptible to traffic hazards.
- ATM Risks: San Francisco is one of the safest cities in the U.S. for tourists. But, travelers should keep in mind the risk of thefts near ATMs.
- Wildfires: In recent times, California has been facing the problem of wildfires during the summer months. Though San Francisco has been spared from the issue, a lot of neighboring areas have faced the brunt of the wildfires.
Visitors Medical Insurance for Travelers in San Francisco – FAQs
A visitors medical insurance plan is a specially designed insurance plan that provides coverage for covered costs incurred for health emergencies, as well as medical aid while vacationing or travelling. In most cases, domestic travel insurance will not provide adequate coverage while travelling abroad, so most international travelers prefer to buy visitors medical insurance before flying to the U.S. from their home country.
Why buy visitors medical insurance before travelling to San Francisco?
Medical facilities, doctor consultations, and hospital charges in San Francisco are extremely high. It is believed that healthcare in San Francisco is 50% more expensive than the national average of the United States. A San Francisco visitors medical insurance plan may not be able to save you from the disturbing experience of being hospitalized while you are on vacation. But it can provide you with a safety net that protects your pockets from colossal hospital bills.
What should I look for in my visitors medical insurance in San Francisco?
Several visitors medical insurance plans are available for travelers. Travelers to San Francisco should look for the following benefits in their visitors medical insurance San Francisco policy:
Trip Cancellation Insurance for Travelers in San Francisco - FAQs
Trip cancellation insurance can help cover the cost and losses that may arise due to unforeseen circumstances leading to plan-approved trip and flight cancellations or interruptions. It provides much-needed insurance coverage for both domestic as well as international travelers. Both business as well as leisure travelers can buy a travel insurance plan when travelling outside their hometown.
Why should I get trip cancellation insurance for my San Francisco travel?
San Francisco trip cancellation insurance plan can provide a host of benefits to travelers. You can be reimbursed for your prepaid, non-refundable trip deposits if you have to cancel for a reason explicitly listed in your policy’s certificate wording. Be sure to read your plan’s fine print before purchase so you know in advance what situations are and aren’t covered.
What should I look for in my San Francisco travel insurance?
Since there are several types of San Francisco travel insurance plans to choose from, here’s a few ideas for benefits to look for, depending on your trip:
Before You Travel to San Francisco, Do These
Pack for the San Francisco weather: San Francisco weather is notorious for changing rapidly. One moment you are enjoying the bright California sunshine, and before you know it, it’s raining and gloomy. So, pack layers, and don’t forget your rain-jackets and windcheaters.
Be Wary of Hidden Charges: The city of San Francisco has some of the most beautiful hotels, inns, and bed & breakfasts in California. But, they often have hidden charges like parking charges, room-maintenance charges, or late-checkout charges that are not mentioned upfront. So, read through the fine print before booking your accommodation.
Cover Your Risks: Safeguard yourself against the financial consequences arising from different travel risks. Buy an appropriate San Francisco travel insurance for tourists. Don’t leave home without the comfort of a travel insurance policy. Read thoroughly, compare, and buy the perfect travel insurance plan for your particular needs.