West Virginia is the only American state that lies completely within the mountains. The states of Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Kentucky surround West Virginia. Enjoy endless scenic views when visiting the state. Hum the tunes of the song ‘Country Roads’ by John Denver when driving the beautiful roads of this ‘Almost Heaven’ state.
The ‘Mountain State’ is an excellent travel destination for a serene getaway. It is a great choice for an outdoorsy vacation too. Opt for activities like rafting, hiking, biking, camping, and windsurfing. To ensure safe travels, get
visitors medical insurance or
as a safety net against any unforeseen accidents, injuries or illnesses.
West Virginia’s Most Popular Places for Travel
- Harpers Ferry - This historic town lies where the Shenandoah River and Potomac River meet. A must-visit destination, this town is home to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy. Mountain biking, canoeing, rafting, and hiking are a few activities that you can enjoy here. It is best known for Harpers Ferry National Historical Park.
- Charleston - Start your trip from Charleston, the capital city and cultural center of West Virginia. It is home to Kanawha State Forest, Cato Park, and Coonskin Park. Visit the city in April to be a part of the West Virginia Dance Festival. Plan a day at the West Virginia State Museum to learn about the state's history and culture.
- Blackwater Falls State Park - The Blackwater River, in the heart of Canaan Valley, falls 57 feet (over 17 meters). It gets its beautiful color from the tannins of the pine trees. It can be observed all year long from viewing platforms and steps. Book a cabin in the state park or take up activities like biking, hiking, or cross-country skiing.
- New River Gorge - The New River Gorge Region is famous for white water rafting, rock climbing, biking, and hiking. It is also called the recreation capital of the Eastern U.S. Beautiful landscapes will not let you put your camera away. Visit the New River Highlands towns to learn about the industrial heritage. Stand on the massive bridge to enjoy the view of one of the oldest rivers of North America.
- Stonewall Jackson Lake State Park - Head to the Stonewall Jackson Lake State Park to enjoy a peaceful getaway. It is three miles (4.8 kilometers) away from Interstate highway 79. Do not miss staying at the award-winning, lakeside Stonewall Resort. Book recreational activities like boating, golfing, and swimming. Get active by hiking the 16-mile (25.7-kilometer) trail within the park.
Key Guidelines for Travelers in West Virginia
- Climate - The state welcomes tourists throughout the year, but summertime attracts tourists the most. Winters are cold and see heavy snowfall. For enjoying winter sports and skiing, plan your trip from March to May. Most lodges, markets, and places operate in the winter except the Potomac Eagle Train and some museums and state parks. It is wise to buy a trip cancellation insurance plan before your trip in case the inclement weather cancels your plans.
- Travel safe - West Virginia has 48 state parks and forests, making it a great destination for campers and hikers. While in the woods it is advisable to stay protected from insect-borne diseases. Research the area before you plan a stay in these majestic woods.
- Driving - When driving through the state, pay attention to road signs. Some places experience rock slides, which can be dangerous in extreme weather. Rent an insured car when planning a road trip in West Virginia.
- Sightseeing - The ‘Mountain State’ has a lot to offer when it comes to sightseeing. Book your activities and sightseeing tours in advance with legitimate travel planners.
- Medical emergencies - West Virginia has good medical facilities, but medical costs are higher than the national average. Buying visitors medical insurance before your trip can help you cover unexpected medical bills.
Visitors Medical Insurance for Travelers in West Virginia - FAQs
You may be ready to get out and experience all West Virginia has to offer, but if you fall sick or get injured while travelling, medical care will be needed. Healthcare in the U.S. is on the more expensive side of medical care. Travel smart and buy a visitors medical insurance plan before your trip to West Virginia. Choose a plan that covers your chosen activities. It can cover your medical expenses in case of any mishaps.
Why buy visitors medical insurance before travelling to West Virginia?
Paying for medical treatment, especially in the United States, can be an expensive endeavor. Since no one can know when an injury or illness will befall you, it pays to be prepared. A visitors medical insurance plan helps you avoid any stress of medical expenses. It can protect you from any unforeseen costs in case of a medical emergency.
What should I look for in my West Virginia visitors medical insurance?
If medical care is needed for a new injury or illness, your visitors medical insurance can work to take care of the bills for your treatment. Besides coverage for emergency medical expenses, it is best to consider other benefits included in the plans such as participation in a PPO Network, coverage for an unexpected acute onset of a pre-existing condition, and emergency medical evacuation and repatriation.
Review several plans for the best benefits for you and your trip before purchasing. It is best to buy visitors medical insurance before you reach West Virginia to secure your finances against medical surprises. Compared to the cost of the premium, the bills from medical treatment would be overwhelming.
Trip Cancellation Insurance for Travelers in West Virginia - FAQs
Despite all the planning, there can still be problems that cause your trip to be cancelled. Not only is this unfortunate, but the loss of funds from prepaid deposits will only make it worse. However, there is a solution. Buying travel insurance for your trip to West Virginia will give you peace of mind. It is a good idea to buy a trip cancellation insurance plan to avoid any last-minute cancellation charges.
Why should I get trip cancellation insurance for my West Virginia travel?
If your trip is cancelled and you do not have travel insurance, you could lose your non-refundable payments. When you have travel insurance in your pocket, you don’t have to worry since the insurance works to reimburse you for your prepaid, non-refundable expenses if the trip is cancelled due to a reason approved by the plan. Enjoy holidaying in West Virginia worry-free when you have travel insurance.. It can save you from losing any extra money in case of loss of baggage or cancellation of your trip or accommodation.
What should I look for in my West Virginia trip cancellation insurance?
A proper trip cancellation policy should include coverages such as:
A travel insurance plan will lessen your worries about your booked activities, tours, and flight tickets. Before buying a plan, confirm all the terms and conditions with your insurance provider to ensure it is the best plan for you.
Before You Travel To West Virginia - Do This
West Virginia is a great travel destination for nature lovers. Plan your trip in advance to avoid any last-minute booking hassles. We have curated a short pre-travel checklist to help you when planning a holiday in the state.
- Book a train route
The state has many picturesque train routes. Plan your trip to include at least one train excursion. Some of the train lines are Cass Scenic Railroad, Potomac Eagle, and New River Gorge Mystery Train.
- Stay cautious
West Virginia sees high crime activities like robberies, burglaries, and assaults. Make sure to keep a copy of your documents in case of an emergency. It is also safe and smart to drop your stay details with your family or friends.
- Invest in a travel insurance plan
Buy a travel insurance plan to ease your financial risks. Go for the one that can cover the cost of your trip, lost or damaged baggage, and any medical emergency. All you need to do is enter some of your basic information, compare the options, and purchase the plan that works best for you.