Marrakesh offers a vibrant blend of history, culture, faith and traditional architecture. Looking to travel back in time with all the modern amenities? Marrakesh is where you should be. A trip to this multifaceted city in Morocco will make your Aladdin-inspired fairytale dreams come true.
Popularly known as the "Pearl of the South", this is one of the most vibrant cities on the African continent. Marrakesh bustles with life and will take you on an enriching journey within itself. Before you set off for Marrakesh, be sure to have
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
in place to protect yourself against unexpected illnesses, accidents or mishaps that may occur on your trip so you can enjoy your travels with confidence.
Things to Do for Travelers in Marrakesh
Whether you love shopping, taking in local history, sampling culinary delights, admiring the arts or simply exploring, Marrakesh has something for you. Here are the top five things you cannot miss out on:
Stroll through the Jardin Majorelle
Your trip to Marrakesh will be incomplete if you don't marvel at the diverse greenery in this beautifully curated garden. It was designed by a French painter over a period of 40 years and boasts quaint pathways and a blue cubist villa to enjoy.
Explore the Medina
The Medina is in the heart of the city. There is a heritage neighborhood listed by UNESCO located there, the Djema el-Fna. A walking tour is the perfect way to explore these alleys and paths dotted with shops, mosques and palaces.
Koutoubia is the largest mosque in Morocco and has a captivating design. At 250 ft, it casts a striking silhouette and is of immense historical importance. The architecture is simply beautiful. Try to catch at least one of the azaans (calls to prayer).
Unwind at the Hammam
Hammams are traditional bathhouses. There are a wide range of them available across the city. You can easily find one best suited to your budget. However, be advised that clothing is not worn within these bathhouses, so if public nudity makes you uncomfortable, this may not be for you. With that said, the employees at the bathhouses do their best to put you at ease so you can leave refreshed and relaxed.
Take a Traditional Cooking Class
Usually offered in conjunction with a tour, these cooking classes can be wonderful if you want to get acquainted with the bold flavors of Moroccan dishes. The tours allow you to pick out your own spices and ingredients from the local market before the class for the most authentic experience. If you enjoy cooking or simply want to develop a deeper appreciation for the cuisine, this activity is for you.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Marrakesh
Marrakesh is one of the more modern cities in Morocco, however, it has its quirks. There are risks you will have to be mindful of no matter what your destination:
- Crime rates are rather low, but it is important to be sufficiently informed about localities you should avoid. Be vigilant and conscious of your surroundings. Harassment isn't unheard of in the city. However, the steady population of tourists has created an environment favorable to them.
- It is best to avoid exposure to insects and germs in a new country. Use bug-repellent and wear clothes that cover your skin. Also, sanitize your hands frequently. Make sure to get clean sheets and towels at your accommodations.
- Traveling to places on foot is the best option, but you can also utilize public transit. Car accidents are rather common in Marrakesh, so get a cab only if you must. Beware of inflated rates.
- Like most North African nations, Marrakesh is subject to threats of terrorism. The government has however put in place strict measures to battle the presence of ISIS in the region. Make sure you stay aware of the geopolitical climate.
- There is always a chance that the sudden change in water and weather won't agree with your health. To best deal with such a situation, eat nutritious food and be intuitive while doing so. Stock up on some of your go-to medicines for common illnesses.
Marrakesh Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
A trip to Marrakesh doesn't come without health risks. It is important to consider that accidents and mishaps aren't put on hold for a trip abroad. In case you fall severely ill or need emergency evacuation, travel medical insurance will be your best bet.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Marrakesh?
It is best to read the government health advisory, as rules and regulations are always subject to change. It is important to remember that the public healthcare system in Marrakesh may not be up to the standards you're used to. Paying out of your pocket for private healthcare services could result in a significant financial burden. The best way to avoid this is to buy travel medical insurance.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Marrakesh?
Illnesses and healthcare emergencies can happen anywhere. Being away from your usual healthcare providers and not knowing the local language can further complicate the situation. With travel medical insurance, the lion's share of your treatment costs can be covered. Knowing you have done everything you can to prepare for the unexpected can go a long way in easing your mind when traveling.
Marrakesh Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
Familiar with that anxious voice in your head listing out what could go wrong before a trip? There's a way to silence that voice and ensure significant peace of mind before departure. You can be prepared for any uncertainty with trip cancellation insurance. If your flight is canceled or a family member passes away, trip cancellations could prove costly. Be a prepared traveler and ensure minimum damage to your finances with trip cancellation insurance.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Marrakesh?
If you have to cancel your trip for personal or unexpected reasons, you could respond in two ways: You could either deal with financial frustration, or you could start planning your trip at a different time. How you respond depends on whether you buy adequate travel insurance or not. Be sure to make the right choice.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Marrakesh?
Trip cancellation insurance covers for specified named reasons such as the death of a close family member, sudden work commitments, flight/cruise cancellations and sudden accidents/injuries. It all depends on the package you choose.
There are always unforeseen incidents that could come up, so to ensure peace of mind, buy travel insurance and enjoy your vacation.
Before You Travel to Marrakesh - Do This
- Buy suitable travel medical insurance or trip cancellation coverage. Learn about the insurance coverage plans that best suit your needs. Travel smart and avoid financial losses. Read the fine print carefully.
- Learn the basics of the local language. It helps to know basic phrases, and it shows you appreciate the local culture you're experiencing. Find a handbook or look it up online.
- Meet your doctor prior to the trip. Find out what vaccinations you might need for the place you're visiting. Also, address any existing health issues and if they might become a problem on the trip.