Dhaka is not a tourist destination. And that's what makes it the best destination for travelers. The heritage, the culture, and the vibe of the city are all real and raw. You won't find embellished tourist destinations. It is just a regular metropolitan city—a city bustling with energy and brimming with cultural heritage. And the city is as fun and lively as the people who call it home.
If Bangladesh's capital is your next travel destination, rest assured that you are in for an experience that will be worth remembering. But before you leave, remember to buy
travel medical insurance or
as a financial safeguard against unexpected accidents, illnesses, injuries, or travel mishaps.
Things to Do for Travelers in Dhaka
If it is possible to describe a city as beautifully chaotic, then Dhaka is that. And this city, full of history, culture, and chaos, grows on you with time. The experiences that you'll have here will stay with you long after you have left this land. Some things that you cannot afford to miss when you are in Dhaka are:
- Dhakeshwari Temple: This 1,200-year-old, state-owned Hindu temple is the center of Hindu culture in Dhaka and an excellent place to start your city tour.
- Lalbagh Fort: This 17th century Mughal fort is the most popular tourist attraction in Dhaka. There is also a small museum inside the fort, and a tomb, too. Visit the place for its architectural beauty, and satiate the photographic spirit in you.
- Armenian Church: If the city buzz's is getting to you and you find yourself wanting a little quiet time, you'll find peace and tranquility at the Armenian Church.
- Tara Masjid: Built in the early 18th century, Tara Masjid has walls decorated with beautiful mosaic stars. Hence, the name. Marvel at the beauty of the mosque, and find peace and calm amidst the chaos.
- Kawran Bazar: Kawran Bazar is the main wholesale market in Dhaka. The permanent shops run throughout the day. But temporary shopping establishments take their place at night. This trading starts at midnight and goes until around 9 a.m. Even if you don't want to shop, you can come here for the experience.
Travel Risks For International Travelers in Dhaka
Dhaka is as safe or as risky as you want it to be. Like every other place, the city requires you to stay armed with common sense. Do not let skewed opinions on the Internet about Dhaka being unsafe force you into dropping your plans. Know the dangers and annoyances that you might face, and stay aware and cautious.
- Opportunistic Crime: Avoid flashing valuables or carrying your phones and cameras in the open, and be aware of your luggage. If you maintain reasonable precautions, you don't need to worry about getting mugged in Dhaka.
- Road Safety: Traffic in Bangladesh, like in many other Asian nations, is tough to navigate. Avoid driving, as the traffic rules get little to no regard. Also, while you are walking, make sure your eyes are on the ground. A broken pavement slab might result in bruises or broken bones if you trip over it.
- Pollution Problems: Busy commercial cities almost always have a pollution problem. Things aren't much different in Dhaka. If you have asthma or any other respiratory condition, take precautions.
- Traveler's Diarrhea: Bottled water and food that you are sure is sanitary is your best bet. If you don't want an upset stomach to ruin your Dhaka trip, eat and drink with caution.
- Unwanted Attention: When you are in Dhaka, you'll get more than a few stares. But that is all just curiosity with nothing to be afraid of. And you'll also find chatty people trying to practice their English with you, mostly children and teenagers. You might even get requests for pictures. All this is in good spirit. But if you are uncomfortable or feel there is something fishy, don't hesitate to give a polite but firm no.
Dhaka Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Medical emergencies are the top reason why trips get ruined. From accidents to diseases, a lot could go wrong. And the bills will pile up fast. Before you realize or even recover, you'll have bills that run in hundreds or thousands of dollars. Travel medical insurance in Dhaka will save you from the bills and offer peace of mind throughout your trip.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Dhaka?
You are not required to have travel medical insurance as an entry requirement to Dhaka. But, Bangladesh's infamous medical sector makes it a wise option to get Dhaka travel medical insurance to cover unplanned medical expenses.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Dhaka?
The public healthcare facilities in Bangladesh don't match the international level of care. The facilities are inadequate, and the overburdened staff and high wait times can add to your woes if you fall ill when in Dhaka.
Private healthcare in Dhaka would be expensive. And yet might not offer the level of care that you seek. Emergency medical evacuation to the nearest facility that can offer proper treatment would set you back thousands of dollars. Buy travel medical insurance to make sure hefty bills don't add to your worries. You can also get coverage for repatriation of remains, the return of minor children, accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D), and more.
Also, your insurance policy provider can guide you in navigating the healthcare system in a foreign land. In Dhaka, the language barrier will make things tough. Support from your insurance company would be welcome.
Dhaka Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Planning a trip is a major investment. And not just monetary investment; it involves a significant amount of time, too. And when a trip gets canceled, all your prepaid bookings go in vain. Worse, you might also have to pay cancellation penalties. Trip cancellation insurance could save you from the financial peril that adds to the disappointment of not going on a vacation.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Dhaka?
More than 300,000 flights are canceled every year. Your flight could be one of them. If your flight to Dhaka gets canceled, you will lose all the upfront payments you made for bookings. Your return or onward ticket, accommodation reservations, day tours, event tickets (if any) could all have to be canceled. And the payments that you would have made would go in vain. And all this doesn't even include the disappointment that cannot be measured in money. At least the financial burden you face can be compensated for if you have comprehensive travel insurance in Dhaka.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Dhaka?
Trip cancellation insurance can reimburse you for your prepaid, non-refundable expenses if you have to cancel for a reason covered under the policy. A full list of covered reasons is available in each plan's certificate wording. Be sure to review this fine print before purchase for a full understanding of what situations would (or wouldn't) be eligible for benefits. The coverage varies from plan to plan. However, the most likely or common reasons for cancellation—like weather-related flight cancellations or delays, falling ill before a trip, or getting called into a work emergency—are usually covered.
Beyond trip cancellation insurance, travel insurance also offers benefits like trip interruption coverage, trip delay coverage, missed connection coverage, baggage loss coverage, and more.
Purchasing travel insurance is never an irresponsible choice. Remember to review your plan's certificate wording so you know exactly what you're buying.
Before You Travel to Dhaka - Do This
Before you travel to Dhaka, here are the three things you must do:
Plan your itinerary. Whether you want to explore everything in one day or explore Dhaka at your leisure, it is essential to have a detailed itinerary ready.
Keep your valuables and important documents safe. Get photocopies of your documents and keep them in a pouch or bag.
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance.
You might feel like insurance is an additional expense, but it does come in handy when things don't go as planned. Your Dhaka vacation insurance is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that it offers you throughout your trip.