Montserrat is located in the Caribbean, and it is a British Overseas Territory. It is known as the “Emerald Isle of the Caribbean” because it closely resembles coastal Ireland. Many people of Irish descent live here, as well.
Montserrat suffered a volcanic explosion in 1995 when the Soufrière Hills volcano erupted. The eruption destroyed Plymouth, which was the capital of the region from Georgian times. Certain areas near the Belham Valley and south of the region are now an exclusion zone.
Montserrat is rebuilding again as a new town and port are being developed in Little Bay. The island is beautiful with pristine beaches and some wonderful places to see. Do not miss the amazing food while you are here. As you plan your itinerary for your trip to Montserrat, be sure to buy
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
as protection against any unexpected accidents, injuries or illnesses.
Things to Do for Travelers in Montserrat
There are plenty of things in Montserrat for travelers to enjoy.
- Visiting Soufrière Hills Volcano: Yes, this volcano has caused more destruction on the island than any other natural hazard, and yet it is also the island’s main attraction. While the island is encompassed within exclusion zones, there are observatories on Cedar Drive and Jack Boy Hill, which offer a great view of the smoking hills. You can also see lava marks on the southern side of the slope.
- Surfing in the waters: The pristine beaches of the island are a great place to relax after some surfing. The waters here are just perfect, and both novice and experienced surfers frequently come here to ride the waves. The summers see a lot of surfers arriving from various parts of mainland Europe.
- Enjoy the local cuisine: Montserrat serves delectable seafood, and one of its iconic dishes is called “goat water”. It is a thick stew consisting of goat meat and is served with crusty bread. The cuisine is varied, and you can find French, Caribbean, British, African, and even Indian dishes on the menu. The roasted and grilled dishes are the most popular.
- Enjoy Scuba Diving: The sea around the island is a great place to explore the underwater world. Scuba diving and snorkeling are popular activities, enjoyed both by the locals as well as tourists. You can see eagle rays, stingrays, and nurse sharks while you dive. If you are not keen on swimming, you can also take a clear-bottomed kayak to witness the marine life.
- Birdwatching: Like many other islands, Montserrat is also home to many species of exotic birds, with the national bird being the Montserrat oriole. The isolated nature of the islands is a haven for them, and various conservation trusts operate from this island. Giant lizards and endangered species of frogs and spiders can also be found here.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Montserrat
Here are some things to be careful about when you travel to Montserrat.
- Natural Hazards: Though not very frequently, Montserrat sometimes experinces moderate hurricanes. Don't go surfing, diving, or boating at such times. Also, make sure you pay heed to volcanic activity notifications from authorities.
- Bag Snatching: Although petty crime rates are not very high in Montserrat, tourists should be cautious in busy marketplaces. Avoid carrying a lot of cash or wearing expensive gadgets when you are out on the streets, especially after dark.
- Water activity-related accidents: Divers are advised not to venture too close to marine life when they are diving. It is better to observe them from a distance.
- Diseases: Montserrat does not see a lot of diseases, but infections from eating seafood can be a problem if you are eating from unregistered places. Make sure you eat from proper restaurants, and avoid shacks that look unsanitary and that might not be washing the seafood properly before serving.
Montserrat Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
A medical insurance plan can provide coverage for the expenses of treatment if you are injured or if you fall sick while touring a foreign country.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Montserrat?
You are not legally required to buy a medical insurance plan for Montserrat. However, you will feel more secure if you buy one.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Montserrat?
In case of an emergency, you won’t have to meet the additional cost of medical care if you have Montserrat travel medical insurance.
It can cover the cost of treatment if you fall sick or if you are injured, and have to be admitted to a hospital as a result. The subsequent medical expenses, comprising possibly of a hospital stay, medicines, and ambulance, can be covered by the insurance plan.
Montserrat Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
With a trip cancellation insurance plan, if your bookings or even the entire trip are canceled due to an approved reason in the policy, the expenses can be covered by the insurance company. You wouldn’t have to worry about losing your money on top of losing your vacation.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Montserrat?
Montserrat trip cancellation insurance can protect your money. Due to sudden unforeseen calamities, if the service providers in Montserrat cancel your arrangements, the insurance plan can provide coverage for your expenses. You can be reimbursed for any prepaid, non-refundable expenses you put down if you have to cancel for a covered reason as listed in your policy’s certificate wording.
There are also insurance policies which can reimburse you even if you cancel the trip, but make sure the insurance plan includes those conditions.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Montserrat?
Montserrat travel insurance can cover the following:
- Loss of baggage
- Snorkeling and scuba diving cancellation
- Flight delays and cancellations
- Soufrière Hills tour cancellation
- Cancellation of hotel booking
- Bird watching tour cancellations
Before You Travel to Montserrat…
- Stay updated about local weather conditions to check if there is a hurricane or cyclone warning.
- Find out about the registered scuba diving instructors if you are a novice. Check to see if they are licensed, because unregistered scuba diving companies often have ill-maintained equipment.
- Find out if there have been any early warnings regarding potential volcanic activity.
- Invest in good hiking gear when you go for island tours and bird watching, as the woodlands often have poisonous spiders and insects in the undergrowth.
Get Montserrat travel insurance so that you can be free of any worries when you tour this amazingly beautiful island. Enter some basic information, compare a vast array of plans side by side, and pick the one that fits your needs best.