San Diego is the perfect city for you to visit, even if you want a quick weekend trip to clear your head. You can visit San Diego all year round with little prior planning. With Balboa Park, the vintage Downtown, and lovely beaches, San Diego is also perfect for a fun family vacation.
Read this guide until the end to find out all about must-visit spots, travel tips, and everything you need to know about travel insurance plans. Before visiting San Diego, purchase
visitors medical insurance or
to prevent expenses due to emergencies. This is a smart move which will guarantee you a carefree travel experience.
San Diego’s Most Popular Places for Travel
- San Diego Zoo - The San Diego Zoo features over 650 species of animals enclosed in spaces that resemble their natural habitat. Visit the San Diego Zoo during the daytime to get the best view of the animals. The Elephant Odyssey, Africa Rocks, Outback, Hippo Trail, and the Panda Canyon are some attractions in the zoo you will love exploring.
- Children’s Pool - The Children's Pool was created in the 1930s. It was originally meant to be a beach. However, herds of seals and sea lions migrated to the Children’s Pool with no visible intention for departing. If you want to catch a glimpse of these animals frolicking in the waters, head over to the Children’s Pool.
- Birch Aquarium - The Birch Aquarium at Scripps Institute of Oceanography is a place you must visit if you are interested in marine animals. There is a whole underwater world where you get to see sharks, sea horses, sea stars, and hermit crabs enjoying themselves. With more than 60 fish tanks, the Scripps Institute of Oceanography is one of the world's leading marine research institutions.
- Palomar Observatory - Run by Caltech, this Observatory is located on the Palomar Mountains. The spectacular Palomar Observatory is said to be as huge as the Pantheon. If you visit San Diego between April and October, guided tours are offered on the weekends.
- Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve - Take a guided nature walk at the Torrey Pines State Natural Reserve. This reserve is dedicated to conserving the nearly extinct Torrey Pine species. Torrey Pines look unique since they have adapted to scarce precipitation and rocky lands. The Reserve is a great place for you to visit if you want to spot whales.
Key Guidelines for Travelers in San Diego
- Layer Up - San Diego experiences a temperate climate all year round. However, the temperature often falls rapidly during the night. So, it is wise to wear clothing in layers so that you are prepared for the chill, but not stifled.
- Transportation - Public transportation services are not very efficient in San Diego. Traveling will be easy if you have your own vehicle. If not, simply rent one from any of the local car rentals. You can also use Uber and Lyft to get around. For small distances, you can use PediCab but they are not cheap.
- Where to Stay - There are a lot of luxurious hotels and resorts on the beach. Splurge on one of them if you want a relaxed weekend. If you wish to focus more on sight-seeing and exploring, go for a cheaper option within the city. This will be both affordable and convenient.
- Avoid May and June - You can travel to San Diego all year round. However, it is a good idea to avoid May and June. During these two months, mornings often tend to be a bit hazy and gloomy. The weather is not ideal for spending time at the beaches.
- Travel Insurance Plans - Before you travel to San Diego, book a visitors medical insurance plan or a trip cancellation insurance plan. This step can prevent you from losing your money due to non-refundable cancellations or medical emergencies.
Visitors Medical Insurance for Travelers in San Diego - FAQs
Healthcare in the United States is mighty expensive. San Diego is no exception from the norm. Even treatment for a simple injury or illness can cost you a lot. Seeking medical care in the U.S. without the proper insurance can be a financial nightmare. To prevent spending money on medical emergencies, book a visitors medical insurance plan.
Why buy visitors medical insurance before traveling to San Diego?
You will probably enjoy a lot of fun times at the beach with sports activities. If you catch a cold or get a minor injury, a hospital will charge a lot to treat you. Be smart and avoid such unnecessary expenditure by buying a visitors medical insurance plan. Having this plan will allow you to enjoy your trip to the fullest without worrying about the stress of paying for medical treatment.
What should I look for in my San Diego visitors medical insurance?
Your visitors medical insurance plan should cover acute onset of pre-existing medical conditions if you or any co-travelers have pre-existing conditions that could be aggravated unexpectedly during the trip.
Do not go for a non-renewable visitors medical insurance plan. If you have a medical emergency, you might be held back for longer than you anticipated. Your visitors medical insurance plan should be extendable in case this happens.
If you are traveling with your family, look for a visitors medical insurance plan which covers the entire family.
Make sure your visitors medical insurance plan offers coverage for all sports activities you plan to take part in.
A visitors medical insurance plan might seem expensive, but it can save you from spending a fortune at a private medical facility. Be careful and buy visitors medical insurance for your San Diego trip to avoid a financial disaster.
Trip Cancellation Insurance for Travelers in San Diego - FAQs
After spending so much time and money reserving your trip, it can still be canceled due to an unforeseen emergency. Transportation and lodging costs account for the majority of your travel budget. If your flight or hotel booking gets canceled suddenly, you stand at a risk of losing a lot of money. To prevent financial losses due to cancellation, it is smart to book a trip cancellation insurance plan.
Why should I get trip cancellation insurance for my San Diego travel?
San Diego experiences a heavy flow of tourists throughout the year. If you experience a sudden cancellation of your flight or hotel booking, getting another reservation is going to be quite a task. Book a trip cancellation insurance plan to protect yourself from huge monetary losses. If the trip is canceled due to a reason listed in the policy, trip cancellation insurance works to reimburse you for the prepaid, covered expenses that you would normally lose without the insurance in place. You should look through the plan before purchase to know what reasons are and are not covered, as these reasons can vary between plans.
What should I look for in my San Diego trip cancellation insurance?
Your trip cancellation insurance should include coverage for expenses related to:
When you buy travel insurance, financial stakes due to plan-covered cancellations are not your headache anymore. Your insurance company can take care of the reimbursement. Check your plan's certificate wording to see what it covers and does not cover.
Before You Travel to San Diego - Do This
You are almost prepared to travel to San Diego. Before you go, consider these suggestions.
If you are traveling solo, rent a bike to explore the city. It will give you a much better view and help you travel independently.
If you are a laid back traveler, pack a picnic and enjoy a day at any of San Diego's beachside spots.
Before visiting San Diego, buy adequate travel insurance coverage so that you and your group can enjoy a carefree vacation.