Everyone knows Portland as the beautiful hipster child of the Pacific Northwest, and while this is true, there is much more to this vibrant city. While on the surface, you see the International Rose Test Garden and the lush Forest Park; if you look deeper, more crazy attractions like the Shanghai Tunnels and the Portland Troll Bridge await.
Cycling is a welcome activity in Portland. The food scene is interesting, to say the least, and there is plenty of exquisite art to see, both in the museums and the streets!
Before you plan your trip to Portland, make sure to buy
visitors medical insurance or
to save yourself from any unpredictable and potentially expensive circumstances.
Portland’s Most Famous Places for Travelers
- Museums - Portland has a holistic collection of museums, like the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, the exciting Children’s Museum, the Oregon Maritime Museum by the Willamette River, and the carefully curated Portland Art Museum that was founded in 1892. For those looking for history and tasteful architecture, the Pittock Mansion is unparalleled. No matter what you want to learn about, Portland has a spot for you.
- Benson Hotel - The Benson Hotel is big, bold, and beautiful. This Portland Historic Landmark (it was founded in 1913) is located in Portland City Center. With stunning, classic European interiors and a whopping 287 rooms, the hotel is a total eye-catcher. The marketplace surrounding Benson is also a hub for shopping and food for anyone in the area.
- Gardens & Parks - Portland isn't called Rose City for nothing. The International Rose Test Garden is the perfect testament to that. But there’s more – Washington Park, the expansive Forest Park, the Lan Su Chinese Garden, and the peaceful Portland Japanese Garden are valuable points of interest and will make sure your time spent there is worth the while.
- Powell’s City of Books - Any real book lover has already heard about the headquarters of Powell’s Books, the independent bookstore covering a whole city block in Portland. The store contains a selection of over one million books, color-coded rooms, and over 3,500 sections. It is so accommodating that it has an in-house coffee shop where people can slow down and take a break before resuming their browsing session. What more could a reader want?
- Oregon Zoo - With more than 230 species of animals, the Oregon Zoo is a must-visit, especially for families with children. Many of the animals are rescues, and the zoo tries to maintain sustainable practices. The area spanning more than 60 acres (more than 24.3 hectares) requires some walking, but there are many food places to replenish your energy.
Key Guidelines for Travelers in Portland
- Being Safe In The City - Travelers will be glad to know that Portland is quite safe. However, there have been incidents that may cause you to get into trouble. Some neighborhoods are best avoided. A quick chat with the locals or an internet search can help you figure out which parts of the city you shouldn’t visit. Theft can also take place in crowded places (like the Oregon Zoo), so it’s best to keep an eye on your belongings. Portland is a hub for bicycles, but bicycle theft is just as common. It is best to take the necessary precautions and get a travel insurance plan to be on the safe side.
- Road Safety - Because of the unmaintained infrastructure in many parts of the city, some of Portland’s roads can be quite dangerous to drive. Potholes, paving issues and other defects can make driving unnerving and difficult, especially if you’re not well-versed with the roads of the city. Portland traffic doesn’t help matters – the city is the 14th worst city in the U.S. for traffic, according to a recent study. It is best to take a few small steps if you’re planning on renting a car in Portland. Some of these include mapping out the roads before you leave your accommodations, checking live traffic, and considering a good visitors medical insurance plan.
- Natural Disasters - It may seem strange that a city like Portland could be prone to natural disasters, but such unpredictable situations are a possibility here. Portland has previously experienced wildfires despite its damp climate, and information about fire-prone areas is available online. The city is also at risk for floods and landslides because of its geographical composition and the large amounts of rainfall that it receives every year. Travelers are advised to check weather forecasts and prioritize their safety.
Visitors Medical Insurance for Travelers in Portland - FAQs
Portland is a beautiful, thriving city, with something new to do on every corner. Trouble, however, is unpredictable. Since receiving medical treatment in the U.S. is extremely expensive, an accident, healthcare emergency, or unforeseen mishap can take a huge toll on your finances. This is where a good, well-thought-out visitors medical insurance plan can save you from distress.
Why buy visitors medical insurance before travelling to Portland?
U.S. healthcare facilities can be very heavy on your pocket. A well-placed visitors medical insurance policy can cover the major cost of the treatment of any injury or ailment while you’re there. This can save you time and a lot of stress so you can enjoy your trip.
What should I look for in my Portland visitors medical insurance?
Any Portland visitors medical insurance should cover injuries and accidents as a result of a physical activity gone wrong. Emergency hospitalization and even acute onset of pre-existing conditions may be covered. Make sure your chosen adventure activity (if any) is included. Another benefit that would be appreciated would be emergency medical evacuation coverage so that transportation to another adequate medical treatment facility could be covered if needed.
Make buying visitors medical insurance part of your plan and travel to Portland stress-free.
Trip Cancellation Insurance for Travelers in Portland- FAQs
After all your planning and payments, you are ready for your trip to begin. Sometimes disappointment strikes and your trip might be cancelled before you leave. If your flight, awaited tour, or extravagant event is cancelled or delayed, the financial loss only elevates the disappointment. Furthermore, you could have to reschedule or leave the city earlier than planned. In that case, if you have a trip cancellation insurance, then you would have a financial safety net ready.
Why should I get trip cancellation insurance for my Portland travel?
You can never predict when your airline reschedules or cancels a flight, when your bookings go wrong, or when a circumstance causes you to return home earlier than expected. This is where your trip cancellation insurance can help you. It may save the day by refunding your plan-covered expenditures and protecting you from huge losses.
What should I look for in my Portland trip cancellation insurance?
Good insurance plans can offer trip cancellation including your bookings with the service provider. This may be the airline or event company where you have booked your tickets or chosen activity from. You should opt for insurance that can cover shows, concerts, and other similar items on your itinerary.
Review different trip cancellation insurance plans as benefits can vary between them, but some of the more common benefits offered include:
A good trip cancellation policy can help you recover from emergencies. Remember to check your plan’s certificate wording carefully to see what is (and isn’t) covered.
Before You Go To Portland – Do This!
Pack for The Weather: Portland receives a very high level of rainfall and the winters can be both wet and snowy. It is advisable to pack well for the weather if you’re choosing to visit during the colder months.
Map Out Your Parks and Gardens: The Rose City is so wonderfully studded with parks, gardens, and trails that it may seem a little overwhelming when it comes to deciding which ones to visit and which ones to miss – especially in a limited number of days. It is best to lay out and plan your visits to the parks before arriving to optimize your travel time!
Prepare for The Great Outdoors: Portland urges its visitors to come out and explore. It offers some of the loveliest hiking trails and the greenest parks you will ever see. The bicycle culture here is quite extraordinary as well. If you’re planning on indulging in an outdoorsy vacation, remember to pack accordingly, keep yourself hydrated, and (if need be) engage in physical activity before your travel to acclimate your body to the strain.
Travel smart with a sturdy travel insurance coverage policy to soothe your mind during your stay in Portland.