Moldova is a European country located west of Ukraine and east of Romania. The country comes under the jurisdiction of France and is a travel paradise for intrepid travelers. Moldova is also quite famous for its wine and wineries. Several flavors of wine are produced here and exported to other countries in the world.
The country offers delightful travel experiences and sights that you will enjoy while wandering around. It has a perfect mix of historical buildings, architecture, and nature parks unlike any other nation. Cherish the beauty of Moldova just like thousands of tourists that visit here to witness the art, wine, and monuments. However, before you head off to take in the sights, make sure you purchase
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
in case there are any unexpected accidents, illnesses or injuries while on your trip.
Things to Do for Travelers in Moldova
- Taste Wine at Cricova Winery: Located in the city of Cricova, this winery will give you a unique experience of the procedure for making wine. You will get a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness the master-craft of fermenting a top-class wine. Why just limit it to wine? Explore the amazing winery and dine at the multi-cuisine restaurant within the premises.
- Visit Dendrarium Park: If being close to nature enthrals you, do not miss the opportunity to visit Dendrarium Park in Chisinau, Moldova. You can walk on one of the paths in the park while witnessing beautifully decorated trees and flowers on the way. The park is an amazing place to sit and relax in the lap of nature at a nominal entry fee.
- National Museum of Moldovan Art: The National Museum of Moldovan Art has an unexpected collection of art that baffles tourists every time. The art pieces are well-maintained and well-preserved to retain their original charm. Most of the tourists visit here to research the 19th- and 20th-century arts.
- Soroca Fortress: This fortress is the most iconic building in Moldova and is a feast for both history buffs and nature lovers. Soroca fortress is located on the bank of Nistru River and it takes a two-hour hike to reach the destination. You may also take a guide with you while you trek as many travelers are unaware of the terrains.
- Old Orhei Archaeological Complex: Although an unconventional place to spend your evenings, the complex is a must-visit when in Moldova. If history is your forte, then there is no other place in the country that can provide you more information. Well-preserved artifacts and pieces of literature can be found in archaeological units within the complex.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Moldova
- Diseases: Water-borne diseases like Hepatitis A and Diphtheria are very common in the country. It is recommended to get vaccines for Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and diphtheria, as you may get these diseases from contaminated food or water.
- Tick-borne Encephalitis: The forests of Moldova are very dense in certain regions and there are all sorts of insects crawling in them. Ticks are considered to be the vector of a viral disease called encephalitis. The tick-borne disease causes inflammation in the brain and requires immediate medical attention.
- Food & Water: Unclean food and water are regarded as a health risk in Moldova. When consuming water other than bottled water, make sure to either boil it or purify it chemically using the purification tablet. Avoid eating raw or undercooked food even if it's from a hygienic food joint. Only eat fruits and vegetables that have a peel after thoroughly washing them.
- Crime: Risks of violent crime are almost negligible in Moldova, but the country is notorious for organized crimes. Expect active organized criminal groups in nightclubs and casinos especially in Chisinau. Avoid consuming food or drinks offered by strangers. Before handing over your passport or valuables to the police during the investigation, ask for an official police ID.
- Poisonous Insects and Reptiles: The climate in Moldova is usually dry and humid especially towards the forests. Insects and reptiles are considered to be very dangerous in the country. Once bitten, you may require immediate medical care or it may turn out to be fatal.
Moldova Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
The universal emergency care and dental care is supported by a unique mix of public and private sectors. But these facilities are only limited to major cities. As healthcare in rural areas covers an extremely limited range of treatments and pharmaceuticals, travel medical insurance for Moldova becomes essential.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Moldova?
When entering Moldova, travelers are required to have travel medical insurance. The country’s Mandatory Health Insurance is funded by the public sector that only covers minor treatments and dental check-ups. You can buy your preferred travel medical insurance from your home country, or a last-minute substitute at the airport.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Moldova?
Tertiary medical facilities provide specialized medical care in Moldova. Unfortunately, all the tertiary facilities are limited to the capital city Chisinau. If you are not staying in the capital city, it is very difficult to receive proper care for serious injuries and illnesses. Medical evacuation and repatriation remain the only option to receive the best care possible. As these may cost you dearly, it is advised to buy travel medical insurance for Moldova before leaving your home country.
Moldova Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
Moldova is full of risks for international travelers. Natural disasters, crime, road accidents, and diseases are just a few reasons that can force you to cancel your trip. Rescheduling and cancelling will cost you dearly. Buy travel insurance for Moldova to mitigate these costs and enjoy a stress-free vacation. Trip cancellation benefits will reimburse you for any pre-paid, non-refundable expenses—as long as you cancel your trip for a covered reason as listed in your policy’s fine print.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Moldova?
When traveling to Moldova, do expect some unexpected delays due to bad weather and natural disasters. Although most air carriers in Moldova are approved by the International Civil Aviation, some don’t have a satisfactory service and baggage handling. Trip cancellation insurance for Moldova can help provide coverage for lost or missing baggage and trip cancellations.
What all is covered under travel insurance for Moldova?
When in Moldova, be prepared for unforeseen circumstances like bad weather causing the airport to be shut. Loss of baggage at the airport is quite common too. Travel insurance for Moldova may provide coverage for:
- Trip interruption due to a covered reason
- Trip or flight cancellation due to a covered reason
- Hotel cancellation due to overbooking
- Cancellation of the trip due to ill health / sickness
- Missing or lost baggage
- Missing a connecting flight from the airport
- Emergency medical evacuation and medical repatriation
Before You Travel to Moldova – Do This
- Carry an English-to-French dictionary to converse with the local taxi drivers and hotel staff.
- Buy travel medical insurance that provides coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation to your home country.
- If possible, consult a doctor and get a vaccine for tick-borne encephalitis.