Mauritius is a small island nation about 1,200 miles (2,000 kilometers) off the southeast coast of Africa. And as a travel destination, it has something for everyone. Whether you’re there on your honeymoon, a trip with your friends, a family vacation, or even a solo trip—you’ll never run out of exciting things to do and beautiful places to visit in Mauritius.
Things to Do for Travelers in Mauritius
Check out these wonderful attractions that you should definitely add to your vacation bucket list for Mauritius.
- Chamarel Geopark: Experience the beauty of nature at its finest at the Chamarel Geopark, which is famed for its 7-Colored Earth. The park boasts huge swaths of sand in shades of brown, yellow, white, purple, black, and red—and if you catch it during the sunset, it’s even more breathtaking.
- Take a boat to Ile aux Cerfs: Ile auf Cerfs is one of the most gorgeous islands off the coast of Mauritius. A vacation in Mauritius cannot be complete without a boat ride through the sparkling blue waters of the Indian Ocean. You can spend a whole day on the island lounging on the pristine beaches, or you can go snorkeling and explore the sandy coves.
- View from Baie de Camp Maconde: Catch some ravishing sights from the top of the cliffs at Baie de Camp Maconde, which is definitely on the list of must-visit list spots on the island nation. From the striking seascapes to the vast empty horizon in front of you, the view from here is one to cherish for life.
- La Valley des Couleurs National Park: This is an ecological reserve home to the most astounding variety of plants, animals, and birds. Hike through the thick foliage, or take a guided tour through hidden trails of the reserve. Don’t miss the waterfall, the main attraction of the region. Here, you can also try out adventure activities like zip-lining, paragliding, and more.
- Sugar tasting at L'aventure du Sucre: Learn about the history and culture of Mauritius through its relationship with sugar plantations. This is not a museum, but a time-travel experience through the rich, sweet past of the country. The best part? You get to taste all the delicious goodies, too!
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Mauritius
Take note of these common risks you might face on your vacation in Mauritius. Be well aware of them, as this will help you plan better.
- Insect-borne diseases: Chikungunya is common in Mauritius between May and October. So, if you are planning to travel there in the warmer months, watch out for mosquitoes and insects.
- Food and water: Consuming contaminated water or unhygienically prepared food can lead to health complications like typhoid, cholera, or dysentery.
- Adventure sports: The most important thing to be mindful of during any activities like paragliding, diving, snorkeling, fly fishing, surfing, etc. is following all proper safety and health precautions. Make sure to only use the services of registered companies for all adventure sports activities.
- Cyclone season: From November to May, Mauritius sees spates of bad weather up to and including cyclones. Being a small island country, a cyclone near the coast can affect the entire country adversely.
- Wildlife risk: If you are visiting a wildlife reserve, or even hanging out at the beach, stay alert for animals that could potentially cause harm. For example, there are many species of jellyfish and reefs that are highly poisonous, so much so that a single touch can be dangerous.
Mauritius Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
Keep these pointers in mind to help you plan carefully for your vacation to Mauritius.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Mauritius?
It is not a legal requirement to have health insurance coverage. However, it’s always a good idea to take appropriate precautions when traveling to a foreign country.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Mauritius?
You never know when an accident or a health issue can happen. Instead of frantically trying to deal with the healthcare bureaucracy in a foreign country, it is always a smart choice to have travel medical insurance that covers treatment costs at your destination.
So, when you travel to Mauritius, cover your medical liabilities with an adequate travel medical insurance plan. This can save you a ton of stress and worry throughout your vacation.
Mauritius Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers - FAQs
Worried about last-minute flight cancellations and trip changes? Here’s how you can stay prepared.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Mauritius?
You can never predict the unexpected. The day before your trip, you or one of your travel companions might get sick. You could have to deal with a sudden work-related emergency. Your flight could be canceled. For whatever reason, you might have to cancel your trip. This could mean losing money on airline tickets, hotel reservations, and any tours or activities you might have reserved in advance. Trip cancellations can turn out to be stressful, not to mention extremely expensive.
To cover the risk of the financial hit from a canceled flight or cruise trip, get a travel insurance plan for Mauritius, and travel worry-free.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Mauritius?
Most travel insurance plans have specific policies regarding trip cancellations. Commonly, in the case that the flight or ship operating company cancels the tickets themselves, then you are entitled to a refund on the same.
Some policies also have partial or full coverage in case you have to cancel the tickets from your end. This is a highly convenient provision that allows you flexibility in your travel. The certificate wording of your plan includes a list of trip cancellation reasons eligible for benefits. Be sure to read the fine print so you know what’s covered—and what isn’t.
Before You Travel to Mauritius Do This
- Be aware of the weather conditions during the time of your travel. You do not want to be stuck on the island when a cyclone is likely to hit.
- Be well-stocked on essentials, first aid supplies, and a lot of water.
- Use the money exchange service at the airport to get a fair price on the local currency.
- The most valuable resource of all is travel insurance. Enter some basic information, compare a wide variety of plans, and select the one that best fits the needs of you and your travel companions.