The island is a well-balanced hub of luxurious nightlife and sandy beaches. Soak in the local sights by traversing the island on foot.
This tourist destination is a single island with two halves governed by separate countries. The Dutch half is Sint Maarten, and the French half is Saint Martin.
Bask in the Caribbean sun as you unwind and explore this friendly island. Before you leave to explore both halves of this island, make sure to buy
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
against any unexpected accidents, illnesses or injuries you might encounter during your trip.
Things to Do for Travellers in Saint Martin and Sint Maarten
While diving and snorkeling are a must-try, there are other engaging activities waiting for you here. As a side note, be aware that Hurricane Irma ravaged the island in 2017, but tourism is mostly back to normal.
- Hiking: Hiking to the highest point of St. Maarten—Pic Paradis—is worth it for its spectacular view of the whole island. There are also many coastal hikes and hikes traversing the hills. There are many trails suitable for every age group and experience level. Hiking is a great way to explore the island and gives you spectacular views of the ocean and the local wildlife on the island.
- Zipline: The island is home to the steepest zipline in the world. Catch the zipline on the Dutch-controlled side, and zip down while taking in the spectacular view of the island. Visitors need to take the chairlift to Sentry Hill, which offers views of the island and some of its neighbors. Batches of up to four riders get strapped into harnesses and sent down. If you have acrophobia, steer clear of this activity.
- Maho Beach: This beach is for thrill-seekers, where flights swoop down to land at the nearby airport. The airport runway is short, making for a great show of overhead planes dipping low during landing and takeoff. Catch flight timings handwritten on chalkboards outside beach bars. If you head to the beach to relax, hold tight to your belongings, as they might get blown away by the incoming flights.
- Friar's Bay: There are many bays worth checking out, but this particular bay is worth visiting for its seclusion. The beach is more popular among the locals and family-friendly. Friar's Bay is a great place to have fresh local food and relax by the water. There is live music and dancing open into the odd hours of the night. Be sure to visit Kali's for bonfires and full moon parties.
- Pinel Island: It is located on the French side of the island, just a few miles away from the main island. This little island is postcard-worthy with surrounding shallow aquamarine water and a secluded beach. Its location protects it from harsh winds and makes it an ideal location for paddling and kayaking. It is family-friendly, and kids can play around on the beach. If you want to explore the untouched side, head to the northern part, which has a vibrant reef.
Travel Risks for International Travellers in Saint Martin and Sint Maarten
Saint Martin and Sint Maarten face extreme weather, particularly tropical thunderstorms. Consider the following points as you plan your trip to the island:
Hurricane season is common in the Caribbean. The duration of the season can vary. Consider this before you plan your itinerary.
Update your routine vaccines before travelling to St. Martin and St. Maarten. Take vaccines for hepatitis A, hepatitis B, typhoid, and rabies as a precaution. A proof of the yellow fever vaccine is only needed if you are coming from a country with a risk of yellow fever transmission.
Eat food served fresh and hot off the stove, and drink boiled water or sealed bottled water. Keep prescription drugs with you in case you fall sick, and consult a doctor before travelling if you need to carry any prescription medications.
Tropical islands play host to many bugs and mosquitoes with diseases that are not preventable through medicine or vaccines. Carry bug repellent at all times, and cover exposed skin.
Saint Martin and Sint Maarten Travel Medical Insurance for International Travellers - FAQs
There is always a risk of falling sick during a trip or getting injured. Your travel medical insurance can help ensure you don't suffer losses by covering most basic medical conditions.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Saint Martin and Sint Maarten?
No, legally it is not necessary. However, having travel medical insurance is always beneficial if you’re travelling abroad.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Saint Martin and Sint Maarten?
It is hard to say what might trigger a health emergency. If you buy Saint Martin and Sint Maarten travel medical insurance, it can cover the treatment costs for most health emergencies and ensure you do not face problems when paying medical bills.
Saint Martin and Sint Maarten Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travellers - FAQs
Your trip is a much-awaited event, but something might force you to cancel. This will cause losses, as some pre-booked services are not refundable upon cancellation. Trip cancellation insurance saves you money by reversing this, given that the cancellation reason is covered in the policy. If you cancel for a covered reason, you can be reimbursed for your pre-paid, nonrefundable expenses.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Saint Martin and Sint Maarten?
It would be unfortunate if your trip were to get cancelled, but having trip cancellation insurance might ensure you don't suffer losses from advance payments that are not usually refundable.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for Saint Martin and Sint Maarten?
Most often, death, bankruptcy, illness, jury duty, and local turbulent weather get covered under cancellation insurance. This will only apply if you buy Saint Martin and Sint Maarten travel insurance with these situations as covered reasons, but if they are, you can strike off one worry from your list.
Before You Travel to Saint Martin and Sint Maarten...
We wish you a very relaxing and safe trip to this Caribbean paradise.
But, before you leave, make sure you have your passport, visa, and important documents with you. Keep them within reach but safely tucked away for easy retrieval.
Also make sure to purchase Saint Martin and Sint Maarten travel insurance for a worry-free trip. Enter some basic trip information, compare a variety of plans, and select the one that best fits the needs of your itinerary, destination, and budget.