This Indonesian province comprises two peninsulas – the Vogelkop (or Bird’s Head) and the Bomberai Peninsula, in addition to a large number of offshore islands. West Papua is a storehouse of enthralling natural beauty and some great water sports activity.
Before you head off for a vacation to West Papua, make sure to buy
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
as a safety net in case of any unexpected accidents, injuries, or illnesses while on your trip.
Things to Do for Travellers in West Papua
West Papua is a destination as remote as it is enchanting. It has a large forest cover with abundant wildlife, beautiful coral reefs, and a thriving marine ecosystem. In short, it’s a nature lover’s dream come true.
- Raja Ampat: For most of those who have been here, Raja Ampat is among the most beautiful islands on the globe. Long stretches of shining white sands and the azure sea make for an awesome sight. Add to it virgin rainforests, and you are at a place that is a paragon of beauty. Relax on the beach, explore the forest, or indulge in some serious snorkeling and swimming. If you are a diving enthusiast, this is the place to be. Raja Ampat is home to 540 species of coral – that is, 75% of the world’s coral species. More than 1,500 varieties of fish are also able to be seen here.
- Cenderawasih Bay Marine National Park: More than 18 different islands make up this 14,000 sq kilometer (around 5,405 sq mile) marine park. This is among the largest of its kind in Indonesia. It is a perfect place for scuba diving and swimming. Trekkers can explore the islands and get to see the diverse avian species here.
- Goa Jepang: This cave system had been in extensive use during World War II for Japanese soldiers to hide. Many of them perished due to the war thereafter. The remains of their weapons can be seen there. Experience the cave system for yourself. There are also tunnels connecting the cave to the coast a few miles away.
- Lorentz National Park: This is a UNESCO Heritage Site. You can get to see the famous Puncak Jaya Mountain here, rising up to almost 5,000 meters (around 16,404 feet) into the clouds. This is the tallest island peak in the world. If you can withstand the strain, then do the hike up this mountain. The views from atop would be unforgettable. Hundreds of bird species will greet you with their calls in the park.
- Museum Loka Budaya: Care for some local history? Do visit this museum. It contains many artifacts of the local tribes and also the ancient Asmat carvings. Ancient weapons, costumes, musical instruments – you can see all this and more here. It also has a gallery of stuffed animals. Have a look at the life-size models here, including the renowned birds of paradise.
Travel Risks for International Travellers in West Papua
With all its abundant natural beauty, West Papua poses certain travel risks you need to be wary of. There are certain types of hazards you might encounter here – both natural and man-made. It would be safe to be wary of such types of risks.
Indonesia lies entirely in a seismically active zone, making the risks of earthquakes high. In the event of such a disaster, cooperate with the authorities and pay heed to every instruction. The same goes for volcanic activities.
Take proper precautions against mosquito-borne diseases like malaria.
Be careful while traveling by boat to other islands. Often these boats carry passengers and cargo beyond the permissible limits, thereby increasing the risks of drowning. Get into them only when you are sure they are safe.
West Papua Travel Medical Insurance for International Travellers – FAQs
None of us can predict when an illness or disaster might strike us. While West Papua does have medical facilities, they might fall short of the requirement and they will also cost you a fair amount of money. To protect yourself from high but unavoidable expenses, opt for travel medical insurance.
Do I need travel medical insurance for West Papua?
It’s not mandatory for you to purchase travel medical insurance before you visit West Papua, but it’s highly advisable for you to have it, as it can act as a safeguard against high medical expenses while you are travelling.
Why buy travel medical insurance for West Papua?
An injury or illness might need you to cut your vacation short. Additionally, you would need to incur heavy expenses on account of medical treatment. So, it makes sense to buy West Papua travel medical insurance prior to the trip.
West Papua Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travellers – FAQs
Several factors like a last-minute workplace emergency, political or other disturbances at the destination country, a death of a close relative, etc., might make you cancel your trip. A trip cancellation entails the potential financial losses of the advance payments that you have made.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for West Papua?
You have bought the flight tickets and might also have made advance payments to the hotel in West Papua. Most of these payments, if not all, are non-refundable. So, a trip cancellation means you would lose all this money. But if you have trip cancellation insurance, then you stay protected from the financial loss. Trip cancellation insurance benefits apply if you have to cancel your trip for a covered reason as listed in your policy’s certificate wording. Be sure to review your policy so that you know what reasons will and won’t be covered.
What all is covered under trip cancellation insurance for West Papua?
Standard trip cancellation insurance covers all the common reasons for cancellation. Go through the terms and conditions in full detail before you buy West Papua travel insurance.
Before You Travel to West Papua - Do This
Keep these simple safety tips in mind prior to your trip.
Maintain several backups of your passport, visa, and other important documents.
Read the weather warnings and other travel advisories for West Papua.
Get West Papua travel medical insurance. Enter some basic information about your trip, compare a vast array of options side by side, and select the one that best fits the needs of your itinerary—and your budge.