Cairo is one of the unique megacities of the world. The Egyptian capital city has evolved at a dizzying pace. You'll surely see a modern metropolitan city at first glance. But, scratch a little below the surface, and you'll see that the historical past is not all lost. Cairo is sure to enthrall your senses. But before you leave, remember to purchase
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance
as protection against unexpected accidents, illnesses, injuries, or travel issues.
Things to Do for Travelers in Cairo
Here are the top five experiences that you shouldn't miss.
- The Pyramids of Giza: The first image that flashes through your mind when you think of Egypt is the pyramids, right? And, when in Cairo, there is no way you can miss the Pyramids of Giza. Tick off one of the Seven Wonders of the World on a half-day trip that is a must on your Cairo itinerary.
- Khan el-Khalili: Shopping in the skinny alleys of this shopping district, founded around 1400, is an experience that you won't find elsewhere. Don't forget to take a halt at Fishawis, the most famous coffee shop in town, for sweet tea or syrup Arabic coffee.
- Al-Azhar Park: After a long day of sightseeing, take some rest at this meticulously manicured park that is the green lung of Cairo. Go for an evening stroll if you aren't too tired, or pick an on-site restaurant to get some quiet time.
- Zamalek: Zamalek is where you'll find all the artsy boutiques and hippie restaurants in Cairo. The architecture here gives a unique European feel. Don't skip a trip to the Cairo Tower's observation deck during sunset for a mesmerizing view of the city.
- Downtown Cairo: Cairo is nicknamed the Paris of the East, and you'll see that for yourself when you visit Downtown Cairo. Navigate the area on foot if you don't mind dodging the traffic. The museums and once-glamorous buildings won't disappoint you.
Travel Risks for International Travelers in Cairo
Cairo is as safe as any other western city. But when you are in a foreign location, practicing general caution becomes a little more necessary—mostly because you aren't fully aware of your surroundings.
Here is what you should be aware of to make your Cairo trip a hassle-free experience.
- Personal Security: The best defense you have against pickpockets (anywhere, not just in Cairo) is your instinct. If you do not feel safe enough or there is a huge crowd, keep your valuables close. And do not flash your possessions to avoid attracting unwanted attention.
- Traffic Concerns: The traffic in Cairo and elsewhere in Egypt is unlike that in the far west. Crossing the street during rush hour can be a little confusing. Either wait for the traffic light so that you can cross when there is no moving traffic, or cross with a local by your side. Remember that rushing isn't the best of options.
- Food and Water Safety: Bottled water is your best friend when abroad. And when trying out authentic Egyptian delicacies in Cairo, stick to reputable locations. Also, there are some spices and ingredients that aren't digestible to the untrained stomach. Make sure you don't be too adventurous in your food choices.
- Pick Organized Tours over Independent Travel: If you do not have travel experience in third-world countries, organized tours are your best bet in Cairo. If you do not want to spend time haggling or facing hassles, ditch the idea of exploring Cairo alone.
- Dress Modestly: Especially for women, covered clothing is the best option when exploring Cairo. When you are modestly dressed, you are unlikely to face any hassles from the locals as they'll know you respect their culture.
Cairo Travel Medical Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
The Egyptian healthcare system is not uniform across the country. Talking specifically about Cairo, the healthcare services are sufficient in case of emergencies, but they are quite expensive. In case of medical mishaps during your trip to Cairo, the bills are likely to pile up faster than you expect. This makes Cairo travel medical insurance a must.
Do I need travel medical insurance for Cairo?
Recent policy changes have made it mandatory for travelers to Egypt to get travel medical insurance that covers coronavirus-related expenses. And even if it weren't mandatory, it would still be a practical and prudent decision. Medical emergencies can arise at any time, and your insurance plan could act as a safety net to protect you from the financial burden.
Why buy travel medical insurance for Cairo?
The regulations require you to have coronavirus insurance coverage for your trip to Egypt. But a Cairo travel medical insurance plan has other benefits, too. You can get coverage for things like:
Emergency medical expenses
- Emergency medical evacuation
Repatriation of remains
Accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D)
Return of minor children
You can get the peace of mind that you are covered in case of unforeseen situations. Also, when you are in the middle of a medical mishap, the last thing you'll want to do is hop from one hospital to another just because the medical expense is way out of your budget.
Cairo Trip Cancellation Insurance for International Travelers – FAQs
Planning a trip is not just an investment of your time, but also money. You have your flight tickets booked months prior to travel. You have hotel reservations and tours planned. And the booking charges you have paid would go in vain if you had to cancel your trip. Now, there is no fail-proof way to ensure that your trip doesn't get canceled. But trip cancellation insurance can at least soothe the financial burn.
Why buy trip cancellation insurance for Cairo?
Trips get canceled all the time. If it hasn't happened to you yet, consider yourself lucky. But don't lose prudence. Even after you have planned your trip to the tiniest detail, your trip could get canceled. And it is not just your flight. Even after you land in Cairo, your tour operator could cancel your tour. And there are a hundred other possibilities. But one simple safeguard against the financial perils of a canceled trip is your Cairo travel insurance.
Trip cancellation insurance can reimburse you for your prepaid, non-refundable expenses if you have to cancel your trip for a reason covered by the policy. A full list of covered reasons is available in each plan's certificate wording. Be sure to review the fine print carefully before purchase so you know under what situations and circumstances you'd be covered.
What all is covered under travel insurance for Cairo?
When you buy travel insurance, you get more than just trip cancellation coverage. Just a few other benefits of a reliable travel insurance plan include:
Remember to review your plan's certificate wording before purchase.
Before You Travel to Cairo - Do This
Three things to do before visiting Cairo:
Have an itinerary planned. Do not leave things for the last minute. Plan ahead to save time and to make the most of your time in Cairo.
Keep your paperwork prepared. Whether it is your visa, your passport, or cash and cards, keep all necessary paperwork handy. Also, get photocopies of all essential documents.
travel insurance or
travel medical insurance.
Do not cut corners when it comes to insurance. Look for plans that fit your budget and that offer complete peace of mind during your trip to Cairo.