Traveling abroad already includes unknown risks. Additionally, if you are going to be skiing or snowboarding, it increases your risk of injuries or accidents even further. Skiing is considered a hazardous sport.
Therefore, if you are planning a ski vacation, whether it be in the rocky mountains of Colorado, USA or in the Alps mountains in France, ski travel insurance is extremely important to consider purchasing.
Many traditional travel insurance policies don't cover adventure sports such as skiing and snowboarding. In fact, they are specifically excluded in many travel insurance plans. Therefore, it is very important to purchase the travel insurance that covers hazardous sports such as skiing and snowboarding.
If you are a U.S. resident and traveling outside the U.S., your domestic health insurance may or may not cover you overseas. Even if it covers emergency medical expenses, it may not cover you for injuries while skiing. Also, most likely, you would not be covered for emergency medical evacuation and/or repatriation of remains.
Fortunately, Atlas Travel insurance is available both to persons traveling to the U.S. as well as persons traveling outside the U.S. Atlas America covers non-U.S. residents traveling to the U.S. while Atlas International covers those traveling outside the U.S.
Hazardous sports coverage is included automatically at no extra charge, and among other things, you would be covered for:
- Medical Expenses: If you get sick or injured while skiing, it would provide medical coverage for eligible medical expenses.
- Emergency Medical Evacuation: Provides transportation to the nearest facility where adequate care can be given. This can be a very large bill if you need to be evacuated to a far away place.
- Repatriation of Remains: God forbid, in an unfortunate event of your death, the insurance can provide coverage for repatriation of remains to your home country.
However, please note that any participation in sports at professional level is excluded. Please read the 'Description of Coverage' for further details.
- Atlas America Insurance - Trip includes the U.S.
- Atlas International Insurance - Trip excludes the U.S.
For U.S. residents taking a ski trip within the U.S. but away from home, look at Trip Insurance.