“Dobre Doshli” - Welcome to Bulgaria.
Bulgaria is a hugely popular haven for expatriates situated at the crossroads of Eastern Europe and the Middle East.
Top ten reasons for expats to move to Bulgaria:
- Rapidly growing economy
- Profitable real-estate investment opportunities
- Reasonable cost of living
- Ample opportunities
- Enriching work-life experience
- Warm and compassionate local people
- Genial pace of life
- Beautiful locations
- Safe and peaceful living
- Strategic location
Planning to work, study, or live in Bulgaria? Let’s get you started on all that you need to know about the Bulgarian healthcare system—and, more importantly, Bulgarian expatriate health insurance plans.
A Detailed Understanding of the Bulgarian Healthcare System
The Bulgarian healthcare system is managed by the Ministry of Health of the Democratic Republic of Bulgaria. In the early days, it had a Communist model of operation with no private health service facilities available. However, the system went through major reforms under the Health Insurance Act of 1998. Under this act, the health insurance system was divided into:
- Compulsory health insurance
- Voluntary health insurance—provided by private companies
Regarding compulsory health insurance in Bulgaria:
- It is provided by the National Health Insurance Fund (NHIF).
- All Bulgarian residents must possess a compulsory health insurance plan.
- It offers access to almost 30 regional health inspectorates and is funded by the NHIF.
- Bulgarian citizens need to contribute towards NHIF Social Security to be eligible for public health services.
- EU/EAA residents with a valid European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) can use healthcare services in Bulgaria.
- Expats may avail public healthcare services in Bulgaria by making requisite payments to the NHIF Social Security.
Shortcomings of the Bulgarian Public Healthcare System
Unfortunately, the Bulgarian healthcare system is plagued with problems arising from red tape and lack of public funding. Bulgaria’s health expenditure is relatively low compared to the rest of Europe. Some of the problems with Bulgaria’s public healthcare system include:
- Higher out-of-pocket costs for medical expenses
- Overdependence on General Practitioners (GPs) for obtaining access to medical aid
- Lack of modern medical facilities and advanced medical infrastructure
- Shortage of General Practitioners (GPs), midwives, and physicians
- Long waiting periods in a public hospital and lengthy delays in obtaining medical facilities
- Weak primary care system
- Lack of wages to health staff, causing medical staff to relocate to other countries
On the other hand, private healthcare services in Bulgaria are very efficient. Private Bulgarian clinics are fast emerging as a popular choice for European and Middle Eastern clients. They are especially preferred for dental and cosmetic treatment.
Most Bulgarian residents prefer to buy voluntary health insurance to use services provided by private medical healthcare centers.
Bulgaria Expatriate Health Insurance
A vast majority of expats living in Bulgaria choose to buy a Bulgarian expat health insurance plan instead of opting for the compulsory health insurance provided by the NHIF.
A Bulgaria expat health insurance plan is widely preferred by students, expats on Bulgarian work permits, and business travellers in Bulgaria. It provides you the comfort of fast and efficient treatment, first-rate facilities, ultra-modern medical infrastructure, and travel benefits, to name just a few.
Give Yourself the Advantage of Bulgaria Expat Health Insurance
Purchasing a Bulgaria expatriate health insurance plan gives you access to the following array of benefits:
Wide Geographical Coverage: A global expat health insurance plan is designed to suit the requirements of globetrotters who are traveling to different parts of the world. They offer the flexibility to choose the geographical coverage based on your travel plans. You may choose different options like:
- Worldwide excluding the U.S.
- Worldwide excluding the U.S. and Canada
- Worldwide excluding the U.S., Canada and Fast East Asia
Age Benefits: Most national health insurance plans have an age limit. In most cases, senior citizens are not covered under compulsory health insurance plans. If you are an expat over the age of 70, Bulgarian expat medical insurance is the health insurance coverage that will provide you with the most comprehensive health benefits.
Type of Plans: International expat health insurance plans like Bulgarian expat health insurance let you choose the type of insurance coverage that works for you. There are different types of plans that you may consider:
The insurance coverage, priority, quality of services, charges, and benefits will depend on the plan you choose. By rule of thumb, a Bronze Plan will provide basic services and will be the most affordable plan. On the other hand, a Platinum Plan will provide comprehensive services but will be more expensive. The plans in between offer varying levels of coverage.
Family Coverage: A Bulgarian expat health insurance plan gives you the freedom to choose the number of dependents. If you are a single traveller, you may choose a single plan. As an expat with a dependent family, you may opt for a family expat health insurance plan to provide an umbrella of health coverage to all your loved ones.
Quality Medical Care: Public healthcare facilities in most countries are struggling to keep up with growing populations and lack of health expenditure. The Bulgarian public health sector is facing several problems leading to deteriorating healthcare. Are you worried about access to quality medical care during your stay in Bulgaria? Buy a Bulgaria expatriate health insurance plan to have access to good quality medical care.
Pre-Existing Conditions: Are you worried about medical expenses to treat your pre-existing medical conditions? Forget your worries with premium expat health insurance plans. Be aware that most international expat health insurance plans may charge an additional cost to cover pre-existing medical conditions.
Read more for further details on purchasing Bulgarian expat health insurance. Gift yourself the assurance of the best medical aid in the world. Compare plans, select the one that best fits your needs, and pay only for what you need.