Exchange Visitors Medical Coverage

Work and Travel USA Insurance

Work and Travel USA Insurance


Work and Travel USA Insurance is mandatory for any J visa holder coming to the U.S. under this program.

The Work/Travel Exchange Visitor Program, created by the U.S. Department of State, provides an opportunity for foreign college students to become involved in day-to-day life here in the U.S. It allows the participants to find temporary work in the U.S. for a period of up to four months during summer vacation.


All participants of the Work/Travel USA program must meet the following minimum requirements:

  • Must be enrolled in a full-time college or university abroad program with a degree or diploma course that has a duration of at least two years.
  • Be at least 18 years of age or older.
  • Must be able to speak and understand English to an extent that allows for effective communication while in an English-speaking environment.
  • Must have a valid passport. For many countries, the passport must not expire for at least six months beyond the intended length of stay.

Each participant must obtain a J1 visa. The sponsoring organization must issue a Form DS-2019.

This allows the participants to stay in the U.S. for up to four months, allowing the last month to be spent traveling and exploring the U.S.

Allowed Work

Many employers need seasonal employees during the summer months. This program allows employers to hire seasonal employees. Many participants work in a variety of professions such as lifeguards, cashiers, kitchen help, housekeeping, ride operators, counter staff, food servers, maintenance, waiters, retail staff, dishwashing etc. Work and Travel participants usually work at ski resorts, retail stores, hotels, restaurants, national parks, amusement parks etc.

Work/Travel program participants are not allowed to work as nannies, au pair, housekeepers or help in a private home, in medical fields such as in hospital, work related to airplanes or door-to-door sales.

J Visa Insurance

Unlike other countries, there is no universal healthcare in the U.S. In the U.S., everyone is expected to buy their own medical insurance if not provided by their employer.

The U.S. Department of State requires that all J visa holders have J visa insurance that meets the minimum requirements. It may also be helpful to look into Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Insurance if all other requirements are satisfied with a medical insurance policy.

It is important to keep in mind that short-term travel medical insurance will generally cover new medical conditions, injuries or accidents that occur after the effective date of the policy. It will not cover pre-existing conditions, routine maintenance, maternity, birth control, dental, vision or preventive checkups.

Sponsoring or Sending Organization

As insurance for J visa holders is mandatory, sponsoring organizations or sending organizations are routinely looking for compliant insurance at the lowest cost, and we understand that these organizations are price-sensitive.

We have over 15 years of experience in dealing with J visa insurance.

You can look at our Group J visa insurance program.

If you are looking for a customized insurance plan, we can provide you with one based on your specific requirements. The price will depend upon your prior claims experience and loss ratio. We will find you the best quotes from all of the major U.S. based insurance providers that are in the J visa insurance market.

All of our J visa insurance plans participate in a PPO network that has providers all across the U.S., allowing your participants the ability to show their insurance card and have their claims directly billed to the insurance company.

Contact Us

Did you know?

Prices are regulated by law.

You cannot find a lower price anywhere for the same product.

Learn More

Why buy insurance from Insubuy?

Same Price. Better Service.®

There are many advantages in purchasing from Insubuy and no disadvantages.

Learn More

Visiting USA?

Healthcare costs are very high in the U.S.

Buy U.S. based visitors insurance and enjoy your trip.

Learn More

Traveling abroad?

Did you know that your insurance may not cover you abroad or that it may only provide limited coverage?

Purchase travel medical insurance that includes emergency medical evacuation.

Learn More

New immigrant to USA?

You are not eligible to enroll in Medicare for the first 5 years.

Purchase new immigrant medical insurance to bridge the gap.

Learn More

Going on a vacation?

You could lose your non-refundable trip costs if you had to cancel your trip.

Buy a trip cancellation insurance package plan and be worry-free.

Learn More

Are you an exchange visitor to USA?

The U.S. Department of State requires all J visa holders to purchase compliant insurance.

Buy J visa medical insurance to meet your requirements.

Learn More

Traveling to Europe?

Schengen countries require most non-US citizens to purchase Schengen visa insurance.

Make an instant purchase online and get instant visa letter.

Learn More

Traveling frequently throughout the year?

You don't need to purchase travel insurance for every trip.

Purchase annual multi trip travel insurance for your travels.

Learn More

International student in the U.S.?

Most schools require international students to purchase health insurance.

Purchase international student health insurance that meets most school requirements.

Learn More