Most travelers to the United States understand the importance of purchasing travel insurance. However, many of them wonder whether to buy travel insurance from a U.S.-based company or one from their home country.
While many options are available in both countries, purchasing travel insurance from a U.S.-based company is preferred because it has many advantages:
- You can get instant quotes from multiple companies, compare them side by side and make an instant purchase online, right on this website. Online payment by credit or debit card is secure.
- Many foreign-based insurance companies may not allow online purchases, or there may be several additional steps involved, such as a medical exam. Such hassles can easily be avoided by purchasing travel insurance from the United States.
- For help in selecting the most suitable plan, U.S.-based licensed agents — specialists in international travel and experienced in the U.S. health-care system — are available seven days a week.
- Foreign travel agents or even insurance agents may not have the knowledge and expertise or even the willingness to help when you need them the most.
- Coverage can start as early as the next day or any future date specified.
- You get a health-insurance card that has information such as your ID number, the claims-filing address in the U.S. and a toll-free number that the doctor's office can call to verify the coverage. The doctor's office needs this kind of information to bill the insurance company directly. There are several U.S.-based insurance plans with a PPO network of doctors and hospital you can go to across the United States, and the insurance company can arrange direct payment with them. Direct billing makes the claims process more comfortable and painless, and you don't have to pay upfront if the doctor is willing to bill directly.
- No membership, paperwork or medical exam required.
- The insurance industry is one of the most highly regulated industries in the United States, and the government rules are strict. There is a far higher chance that you will get the benefits as per the insurance policy.
- In case of any problem, it is much easier to follow up, as the companies are right here in the U.S.
- Reliable companies with a proven track record. Most companies are rated A-, A, A+ or A++ by A.M. Best.
- There are many choices to suit your needs, based on your budget and the amount of coverage that you wish to purchase.
- Most U.S.-based companies that offer travel insurance are members of the Better Business Bureau, which can help with any dispute.
- Most plans are extendable. That is an advantage if you are not sure about the duration of your stay.
- Most plans are refundable in case of early departure (subject to some conditions).
- Faster claims processing with less paperwork and follow-ups.
- Even though the insurance companies in your home country may be more recognized in your country, they will not be similarly recognized in the United States. Moreover, the time-zone differences may make it much more difficult for you to deal with them. U.S. health-care providers may not even be willing to deal with foreign insurance companies.
- On the other hand, the health-care providers will find it much more convenient to deal with local companies right here in the United States.
Even though the U.S.-based comprehensive coverage plans may cost more, such travel insurance worth every penny due to the high amount of coverage and the convenience it provides.