Download Mobile Apps:   iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch App    Android App

Thread: Insurance for my dad (Greencard holder)

Default Insurance for my dad (Greencard holder)

Hi
    My dad has has the green card for over a year now. He goes back to India during the winter time for 4 to 5 months, and then come back. He is 72 years old.

What is the best insurance to take for him? I want an insurance that gives me financial protection for major things. Fixed or comprehensive? I do not see anything that covers preexisting conditions - not that I know that he has any!

Thanks for your help.

Please look at the products at https://www.insubuy.com/new-immigrant-insurance/

You should always consider comprehensive plans and never fixed.

You may also want to read https://www.insubuy.com/new-immigrant-insurance/-plans/ for a lot of useful information.
    Thanks & Regards

Toll Free: (866) INSU- BUY
    Local: (972) 985-4400
    Fax: (972) 767-4470

Default More questions!

Thanks for your reply. I do have a few more questions.

If I keep a policy for 12 months, does it get renewed for the second year or is it a brand new policy? If it is a new policy, anything that happens during the first year will be considered as preexisting condition, right?

Also, what is emergency evacuation? If there is an emergency, we will call 911 and usually it will be through an ambulance (worst case air lift!). However, I find that there is a separate coverage for ambulance. So, I am kind of confused.

Emergency Reunion - Does this cover bringing in someone from India if the insured person gets into emergency? Or is it just the local person who accompany the insured during the emergency?

Does it cover extended stays in Canada?

Also, for 72 year old person, the max seems to be $50K, right?

Thanks

Answers to your questions may vary based on the product you choose. Therefore, I will answer specific to Patriot/Protection America plans. However, most plans will work just like as described below.

Renewal:
    It gets renewed and not a new policy.

Evacuation:
    What you described is how generally it works in the US and emergency medical evacuation is not required in most cases. These plans are meant for any one traveling outside their country. Imagine that you have gone to a remote place in Africa and you get hurt or terribly sick. There won't be any 911 there to help you and you may need to be medically evacuated to a place where adequate care can be given. That is where emergency medical evacuation is useful.

Reunion:
    Read answer #2. Again, this policy is for anyone traveling outside their home country. And if the person were to be hospitalized in some place while traveling alone, they would need someone to be with them.
    In your case, your parents are staying at your place and if they are hospitalized, most likely, you would be near them already. And therefore, the insurance company will not pay to get someone additional from India.

Yes.

Yes.
    You can alternatively go for the Bridge plan which provides $250,000 policy max. However, you should consider the Bridge plan only if he is planning to stay here most of the times, rather than going back and forth few months in India and few months in the US.
    Thanks & Regards

Default Patriot and Patriot Gotravel

Based on what you have said on emergency evacuation, reunion, etc, and the fact that my dad will never travel alone, would it make sense to go with Patriot Gotravel instead of Patriot?

usually I see that the benefits are for the covered period. Le's assume that we have used up $25K of $50K policy maximum in a year of coverage. When we renew the policy after a year, will the benefit maximum get reset to $50K or will it be just $25K? If we need a new policy to get $50K coverage after one year, then whatever the illness that got covered during the prior year would not be covered on the grounds of pre-existing conditions, right?

Again, thanks for all your prompt reply. Appreciated it very much.

1. Yes, you can do that. That is exactly why Patriot GoTravel was made.

A. It will be just $25k left.
    B. You are right. If you buy new policy, conditions in previous policy would be considered as pre-existing conditions in the new policy.
    Thanks & Regards