View Full Version : J-1/J-2 health insurance

09-28-2016, 03:51 PM
I will work as a non-paid Research Fellow (Visiting Scientist) at the Center for Engineering in Medicine of the MGH, Harvard Medical School, and the Shriners Hospital for Children for 1 year between 15 June 2016-15 June 2017 in Boston, MA.

In order to apply for a J-1 visa and J-2 dependent visa for my daughter, PIPS (Partners Office for International Professionals & Students) sent me the J-1 Exchange Visitor Checklist, and the health insurance requirement are as below.

My health costs will be covered by my employer (Hacettepe University) within the scope of Social Security Institution (SSI) of the Republic of Turkey. My daughter's health costs will be covered as well by my husband's institution with SSI.

So, do I still have to buy a health insurance for me and for my daughter while we arrive in the US within 30 days? If yes, could you please quote an health insurance for me and my daughter comprising the requirements below.

I also would like to learn if the duration of the health insurance must be 1 year or less than a year?

09-28-2016, 03:52 PM
Thank you for contacting Insubuy for your insurance needs. There are a few plan options that you will have for coverage. In order to determine how long your coverage must be purchased for you will need to contact your sponsoring organization directly as this I not information that we would have.

Any J1/J2 Exchange visitor is required to have a medical insurance according to their sponsoring organizations requirements. If it is required to purchase insurance within 30 days of your arrival into the United States then you would need to do so.

Pease use the link listed below for more information about the plan options that are recommended, available and will meet your Universities requirements .

Patriot Exchange Program brochure & instant purchase link:

Atlas America brochure & instant purchase link:

You can also find additional plan options using the link listed below: