PDA

View Full Version : J1/J2 medical insurance

submittedviaemail
09-16-2016, 09:42 PM
I am sending this inquiry on behalf of my sister who came to USA as a J1 scholar with her husband (J2) and child (7 years old).
OSU requires her to purchase a health insurance (As of May 15, 2015, minimum coverage must provide medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness; repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000; expenses associated with medical evacuation to the exchange visitor’s home country in the amount of $50,000; and deductibles cannot exceed $500 per accident or illness )

I found plan c ($100 deductible) seems to work best for her case (her family rarely sees a doctor).
However, her husband will plan to stay only a couple of months here and there (he needs to leave on sometime around Feb 20 and come back on sometime May for a couple of months).
Can she and my niece purchase an insurance from tomorrow till Jan 20, 2016 and her husband for monthly or daily basis whenever needed?
Would you send me the quote and payment option then?

insubuy
09-16-2016, 09:43 PM
They can purchase a separate plan for the husband for the dates he is in the US. So, they would have two plans, one plan for the J1 and J2 child and separate plan for the J2 husband. The plan you are looking at does meet the requirements for the J1/J2 but is a very basic plan and will only pay a fixed amount according to a schedule of benefits so if anything happens the majority of the cost will be paid by the insured.

The quotes is the same as you see on the website. If you need additional assistance please feel free to contact our office.

submittedviaemail
09-16-2016, 09:44 PM
Thank you for your prompt response. Would you send me the benefit document of this plan? Links on website do not work. Is there any copay or co-insurance pay other than deductible?

insubuy
09-16-2016, 09:44 PM
Here is the link for the Inbound Immigrant plan https://www.insubuy.com/international-major-medical-insurance/

No, there is no co-pay or co-insurance because the plan pays the fixed amount. For example, if someone goes to the doctor the plan would allow $75 if the deductible is met and the insured would pay any charges in excess of the allowed amount. If the $100 deductible is chosen and not met then the $75 would be applied to the deductible and the plan wouldn’t have anything to pay.

If you need additional assistance please feel free to contact our office.