View Full Version : request for details about insurance for J1 visa to US

09-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Dear M/s Insubuy
I write to obtain information on your health insurance schemes for international academics travelling to the US for taking up research positions in US universities.
I am a researcher presently planning to take up a position at Colorado State University (CSU), CO. As a part of applying for my J1/J2 visa (along with my spouse), I am supposed to obtain a health insurance that complies with the J1 visa regulations of the Department of State. A colleague in CSU told me about Insubuy from where he purchased an insurance scheme of Trawick. Would you kindly explain me the details of a comprehensive insurance from Trawick for me and a dependent?
What amount needs to be paid upfront for such an insurance?

09-16-2016, 01:30 PM
Thank you for your interest in purchasing insurance through us.

Before we suggest any plan would like to know insurance requirements from your school.

Please send those requirements then will suggest insurance plan accordingly.

Meantime you can find J1 visa insurance plans at,

Please enter appropriate criteria. You will find many plans and you can also compare them side by side.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

09-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Thank you for a quick response. Pasted below is the response I got from my University when I asked them about the insurance they provide. I am not sure if it is very illuminating however, they asked me the obtain another insurance before I apply for my visa. The main criteria is that the insurance must cover repatriation and emergency evacuation and comply with the J1 requirements. I am also attaching a pdf file of the insurance details of the friend who purchased his insurance through Insubuy. Please have a look at all these to see if they make sense.

With regard to your question about insurance, you will need to make sure you insurance that meet the requirements set forth from the U.S Department of State.
CSU insurance does not completely meet these requirements so supplemental insurance will be needed.
The Green plan from CSU does not meet any of the requirements but you may enroll in this insurance at no cost to you. However, you will need to obtain an additional insurance that meet the J-1 requirements.
The Point of Service plan offered by CSU is approximately $150.00 /month and will meet the accident and deductible requirements but it does not provide repatriation and medical evacuation so if you go with this option you will need to purchase a separate policy that provides these benefits.

09-16-2016, 01:32 PM
Thank you for your quick reply.

As per Trawick- Safe Travel Cost saver plan certificate wording , It does not meet J1 visa requirements because it has policy max. lifetime but J1 visa requirements is you need to have policy max. is per incident.

If your school is ok and they have recommend this plan then you can have it.

I would suggest Patriot Exchange plan for J1 / J2 visa holder.
Patriot Exchange brochure, instant purchase link,

Trawick International- Safe Travel cost saver- The insurance your friend has.
Safe Travel cost saver brochure, instant purchase link,

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

09-16-2016, 01:33 PM
Thanks a lot!
I must make sure that the insurance meets the J1 requirements. If the Trawick one does not, then that's not the one for me.
I just checked the Patriot Exchange plan -- For a single individual, one can opt the $ 882 plan, right?
My questions is:
Can purchase the insurance through a pay-by-month option?
Or, the total amount has to payed upfront?

09-16-2016, 01:42 PM
The total amount would have to be paid up front to show the full duration as covered. You can purchase for one month but your certificate will only reflect coverage for one month. If you have additional questions please feel free to contact our office.

09-16-2016, 01:43 PM
I made correspondence with you regarding the Patriot Exchange scheme. I would like to know if I can buy 1 or 2 months upfront and the rest of the premium can be payed per month after reaching US? This 1 or 2 months contract can be used for my visa application. If I buy whole 1 yr upfront and then if my visa is not granted, I lose a lot of money. That's why.

09-16-2016, 01:44 PM
Thank you for contacting Insubuy. You are able to purchase on a month to monthly basis. You can purchase for the first month or 2 months and renew the plan as needed from that point forward.

If you need any further assistance please feel free to contact our office .