PDA

View Full Version : OPT coverage questions

submittedviaemail
09-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Dear Insuby,

I am a 24 years old Pitt (PA) F1 new graduate and OPT will start on 6/15 and I have not found a job yet. I am considering have an insurance.

A question about eligibility of Patriot American.
I input my information and the website recommend Patriot American (Plus) to me, it looks good but I am not sure whether I am eligible for this. Because I have had International Student Insurance and ISO insurance before, did these count for domestic insurance? Can I buy Patriot American?

Besides, a question about pre-existing condition.
I went to hospital 10 days ago for some rash I haven’t had before (my insurance expired then, so I paid myself), but the doctor was uninsured and give me a ointment for basic treatment. They encouraged me to buy an insurance because they said they may have to do some tests (for skin? I am not sure) for diagnosis, and that will be a large bill. The condition of rash dose not improve so I have to went to clinic again. Is this rash a pre-existing condition? If I can buy Patriot American (or Plus) now, will they cover my next clinic bill, even the test?

If unfortunately all answers are NO, what’s your suggestions?

insubuy
09-14-2016, 03:28 PM
Thank you for contacting Insubuy for your insurance needs. ISO is not a domestic insurance so you would qualify for the Patriot America Plus plan. As far as pre-existing conditions are concerned the plan does not cover them so you would have to pay for the expenses out of pocket for anything related to the pre—existing conditions as it is something that occurred before the effective date of the policy. If you are looking for a plan that would cover pre-existing conditions you would have to purchase a domestic plan. These are typically offered through and employer or you can purchase and individual plan once you receive a social security number.