View Full Version : Insurance just for J2

10-21-2012, 04:02 PM
Hi! I'm currently on a J1 visa and I have insurance through my school. My wife is on J2 visa, and I'd like to know which insurance policy she is eligible to.

Just for clarification: she would be the only person purchasing insurance from you. Is that possible?


Note: this question is similar to the following posts, but I'm specifically asking about J1/J2 (as opposed F1/F2 in the posts below).

10-21-2012, 04:39 PM
You can purchase Patriot Exchange Program


10-21-2012, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply! The issue with the "Patriot Exchange Program Insurance" is that my wife (J2) is only eligible if I also purchase it for myself (J1). And since I already have the school insurance, that's not a very good option.

That said, can I purchase the "Patriot America" (https://www.insubuy.com/patriot-america-insurance/health-insurance/) just for her? That's what has been suggested in the posts I mentioned previously. I just want to make sure that a J2-visa-bearer is eligible for the "Patriot America" just like an F2-visa-bearer is.

Thanks again!

10-21-2012, 09:26 PM
Patriot Exchange Program eligibility requirements have been revised few months ago. Therefore, please don't look at the old posts.

As long as J1 visa holder is insured through the program such as through school (Not through competitor insurance company), J2 only is eligible to purchase Patriot Exchange Program.

Unlike F2, J2 has specific requirements for insurance and Patriot America does not meet the J2 visa requirements.

Therefore, I suggest that you purchase Patriot Exchange Program insurance.

If you have any other quesitons, please feel free to post them here or contact us at any time.

10-22-2012, 03:09 AM
I see. Thanks for the reply.

Just making sure I understand the J1 visa holder condition you specified: I am currently enrolled in my school's partner insurance company (namely, Aetna). In other words, being a student at my institution doesn't mean that the institution itself provides all health services. Rather, it means that I become eligible for a special health plan provided by Aetna just for students at my institution. And the entity that is paying for this special health plan is my sponsor (i.e. the same company that is sponsoring my J1 status).

So, back to your point: under these conditions, is my J2-visa-holder wife eligible for Insubuy's "Patriot Exchange Program Insurance"?

Thanks a lot!

10-22-2012, 11:55 AM

10-23-2012, 01:53 AM
Thanks for the clarification!