PDA

View Full Version : International insurance on OPT

akulkar
02-28-2010, 09:13 PM
My wife is on F1 visa for more than 2 yrs. She is graduating on Jul (25th) this year. My daughter (4 yrs born here) was a dependent on the same university insurance for more than 2 yrs. I have my own insurance being on H1B. (My company only encourages dependent insurance for H4 visa). Our second child is arriving in May and per hospital he will be on mother's insurance
for the first month i.e till May end. We have to still research whether the University will allow that child to be part of my wife's insurance till July end.
My wife is intending to start her OPT from Aug, worst case scenario is based
on the job market she will be forced to take one/two credit for next fall(to maintain status) and continue her job search. In this case university insurance might not be valid for her. Also in this case she might defer OPT to start to post Nov.

My question is (for the next 6 months from May or Jul (not sure)) that out of the 3 options for OPT insurance which option might be the best fit for her and considering the new born in equation when is the right time to start it

insubuy
02-28-2010, 09:45 PM
For any maternity, child birth or child care related expenses, your best option is to continue her university insurance.

If you try to buy the insurance from open market, none of that would be covered.