PDA

View Full Version : J2 insurance for my wife

fujinyu
04-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Dear sir or madam
I am writing to ask for issues concerning J-2 visa insurance.
I came to the US this February as a visiting scholar. The exchange program lasts for 3 months and ends by May 16th. As soon as I arrived, I have purchased all the insurance for 6 months as required for a J1 visa holder. I am now inviting my wife to the US. She is applying for a J2 visa holder. She is scheduled to arrive on May 4th and she would leave the US, together with me, on May 22nd.
Could you tell me how many month's insurance should I buy for my wife since she would stay in the US for only a month (18 days altogether). I was told that she is obliged to buy insurance for 6 months, which seems very unreasonable and unacceptable.
I look forward to your reply asap.
Thank you

insubuy
04-15-2009, 10:25 PM
You don't have to buy for 6 months.

You can buy just for 1 month.

fujinyu
04-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Thank you very much!
Can you tell me the reason that I buy only ONE month's insurance for my wife since I could reply to my hosting university.
Thank you

insubuy
04-16-2009, 08:56 PM
That is because there is no requirement that you must buy 6 months insurance.

fujinyu
04-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I've got it. Thank you!

fujinyu
04-27-2009, 05:02 PM
You don't have to buy for 6 months.

You can buy just for 1 month.

Hi, Nerendra
I have informed the university that my wife is going to stay with me in the US for about 10 days. But the university insists that she should buy 6-months' insurance since "regulations require J1 scholars to purchase health insurance for each dependant for the entire duration of their program."
What regulations are they? I cann't see any reason why a person should buy 6 months' insurance for a 10-days' trip! Can you help me explain it?
Thank you!

insubuy
04-27-2009, 05:45 PM
I am not sure what regulations they are talking about.

From our perspective, you can buy for howerver long you want it.

fujinyu
04-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Hi, here is the quoted reply:
Federal regulations state that all exchange visitors (both J1 and J2 dependents) are required to have sickness insurance in effect for the duration of their exchange visitor status. I have included the federal regulations below.
Federal Regulations:
22 C.F.R. ยง 62.14
(a) Sponsors shall require each exchange visitor to have insurance in effect which covers the exchange visitor for sickness or accident during the period of time that an exchange visitor participates in the sponsor's exchange visitor program.

Is it the only solution? No alternatives?
:confused:

insubuy
04-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Unfortunately, you will have to go with whatever your organization is asking you to do.