Download Mobile Apps:   iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch App    Android App

Thread: Coverage for cataract surgery

Default Coverage for cataract surgery

Hi, I was just wondering if your Careington dental/vision discount applies to procedures like Cataract Surgery. If so, how much do you pay and how much do I have to pay out of pocket? Please email me your response. Thanks

I am referring to the Careington Dental/Vision plan.
    My parents are going to be visiting me from India and we were wondering about the cost of Cataract Surgery under the above plan.

Cataract is considered a medical problem and not a vision problem.

In Careington Dental/Vision plan, under vision, you get $5 off the regular exam price. You get some discount from the frames etc. That's about it.

I sugegst that they go through Cataract surgery in India, either before coming to the U.S., after returning back to India.

You will not find any insurance company that would provide any coverage for that.
    Thanks & Regards

Toll Free: (866) INSU- BUY
    Local: (972) 985-4400
    Fax: (972) 767-4470

Hi Narendra,

Thank you for your prompt reply.

My parents are planning to leave soon and hence there is not enough time to get the Cataract surgery done in India.
    It is unforunate that there is no coverage under any plan.

Do you know how much does it approximately cost for a Cataract surgery here in the US?

Thanks

Insurance plans are designed to cover any medical conditions that arise unexpectedly. If any insurance company were to start covering what people already need, they would just be giving away free money and no company can work like that.

No, I don't know the cost. But my guess would be at least $20,000, if not more. It might be the best for them to wait until they are done with that surgery in India, or you will have to pay all the expenses yourself.

When my mother visited us in 2004, we later found out that she might need cataract surgergy. However, she ended up waiting for it until she went back to India as it is very expensive here.

Are you still planning to buy the medical insurance for them, if they get into some new medical conditions, injuries or accidents while they are here? We can help you with that.
    Thanks & Regards

Toll Free: (866) INSU- BUY
    Local: (972) 985-4400
    Fax: (972) 767-4470

Thank you Narendra for the explanation.

I will let you know if we need any help with Medical coverage.